Bent frame KLR650

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by apostis, May 28, 2020.

1. apostis

apostis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi,
    A few weeks after I had my new KLR650 it tipped over on an uneven surface.
    The bike was standing, fully fueled, had crash bars and panniers mounted.
    This happened over a year ago. I never had any issues but a while ago I have noticed this:
    Not my picture:
    The "ignition bump" does not align with the "frame fitting" when the front wheel is straight.

[​IMG]

Also, the rear wheel does not align with the rear light.
    Kind of like in this front picture (not mine):
    Where you can see that the front fender is a bit further to the left than the center of the wheel.
    Except for me it's the rear and it's probably more noticeable.

[​IMG]

I never had any issues, but I do wonder does that mean the frame is bent?
    And if so, is there a way to fix this at all? Is that a major repair? What kind of place would I go to to fix this?
    The bike is in perfect condition and like mentioned almost new.
    I find it strange that it tipping over from standing would bend the frame. I thought panniers if anything would prevent that.
    As for the rear part, I don't know whether the "tail" is off or the wheel.

What do you think?
    Could that be something else?
  2. Chuck Pryce

Chuck Pryce Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    The fork tubes may have slipped in the clamps , loosening the clamps up and realigning the forks should fix it.
  3. apostis

apostis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your reply. I'm not sure I get it though. Are you suggesting the handlebar may have shifted sideways? I don't think that would explain the indicator on the ignition being turned more to one side?
    Also there would still be the question of why the rear seems shifted too.
  4. mikejjmay

mikejjmay Long timer

Oddometer:
    My guess is if you never had any issues, and dont have any now, you didnt bend the frame. Your picture showing the alignment, is that a picture of your actual bike or a picture just showing how to align? on the 5 KLRs I have owned, nothing ever has lined up absolutely perfect. They are great bike but budget machines made at bottom dollar. If that picture is of your actual bike, it doesnt really seem to be off much there, and i dont think i would take a steering stem lining up with a fairing mount as an indicator of a bend in the whole frame. Honestly i bet if you had checked day 1 off the factory it would have looked the same. I would say just ride it!
    spokester and Beezer like this.
  5. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Chuck Pryce is saying that sometimes, depending on how the bars are turned, the forks can twist a bit when the bike falls over, or the bars can twist . Or it may have tweaked the faring mount. If so, its an easy fix. If the front wheel is straight when the bars are straight, then all's OK.
    If the rear wheel aligns with the front wheel when the front is straight, that's good. More than likely, all you've done is tweak the plastic fender, and plastic fenders are seldom ever perfectly straight when new as mentioned.
    As said, KLRs never were the best in fit-and-finish. Odds are highly improbable that you bent the frame.
    spokester and Beezer like this.
  6. apostis

apostis Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't think the plastic fender is the issue because that never touched the ground. The whole rear part seems to be shifted.
    As mentioned none of the pictures are mine and the shift is more noticeable in mine in the back.
    The front is also very noticeable. The indicator part is off by about 5mm or so.
    I've had a KLR before and that one definitely didn't have any misalignment like that.
    I can imagine that the KLR isn't perfect even from the factory, but this just seems like an odd coincidence with it having tipped over and like I said it's very noticeable. Like half an inch in the back, maybe even more.
  7. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Aline your sprockets, by shifting the axle one way or the other in the swingarm. Aline the fork at 90 degrees to the handle bars, by putting the tire against a tree and turning the bars. And ride, the frame isn't bent.

BTW; You never told us how the second front flat turned out.
    https://advrider.com/f/threads/repeatedly-flat-front.1409424/
    Hate when people ask for help but won't share the final result that might help others down the line.
  8. Feo

Feo Commentator

Oddometer:
    Can't really tell without seeing it, but sounds as if your subframe got tweaked in the tip-over.

Not unusual, make sure that it hasn't pushed anything too close to the tire or chain (if it was a year ago and you haven't had issues you probably won't).

If it worries you, strip the bodywork and pannier racks off the rear and investigate with a tape measure and maybe a framing square or other straightedge.

I've manipulated several steel subframes back into usable shape with a 4-ft two-by-four.

As the Charlotte weatherman says, YRMV.
  9. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass

Oddometer:
    Exactly! Chances are here you won't get closure either.
    sieg and spokester like this.
  10. BtoV

BtoV FNG

Oddometer:
    I doubt you bent the frame in a tip over, this is what a bent frame looks like.
    20181221_104539.jpg
    Chalk line is centerline through the frame and the pointer is through the steering head. I have heard of Brit bikes having misaligned frames and needing to be straightened.
  11. BtoV

BtoV FNG

Oddometer:
    This is 20181223_140118.jpg after I straightened it