BergDonk's DR650s

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by BergDonk, Dec 20, 2010.

1. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Yes and no. Its very cramped under the tank and down on the crankcase. The tricky bit is swapping the cable over at the crankcase. The steel bend sits against the frame cross member and needs fiddling to get it out of the bracket that also clamps starter motor. Its easiest to loosen off the bracket, but the front bracket bolt is hard to access due to the cable itself, the CCT and exhaust. The lever arm won't come off the pivot shaft without removing the exhaust. The bigger bodied FCR vs BST also reduces the space there. There's not really any room down there for another cable to sit next to it, so the bottom end of a spare cable has to sit elsewhere, which means the tank still has to come off. I have looked at this in the past. With longer flexible tools and long tip needle nose pliers its doable in the shed without exhaust removal, but I don't carry those on the bike. Maybe I know now what my clutch cable's service life is, so maybe I'll replace this one at 100k kms.
    JagLite and FR700 like this.
  2. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bergdonk,I know what you mean.When I rode down to South America I brought an extra clutch cable with me.Lucky for me 'cause I was in San Diego on a Friday afternoon and stopped for a coffee and some grub.When I pulled out of the parking lot onto the highway my clutch cable snapped.I was fuckin' lucky I didn't go into the traffic.I tore all my gear off the bike and fixed it right there on the spot.It was almost 5 pm by then and I found a dealer across town that had another cable.He waited for me to get there,nice guy.Later that night I found a KOA campsite in the middle of a freeway cloverleaf.I was going the wrong way when I spotted the KOA.Lucky for bikes you can get away pulling a "u"ee.That was on Halloween night.Cops all over the place.When I got to the campsite and my tent setup these Mexican people came over with a meal for me.How cool is that.Lots of kids trick or treating in costumes.I still have that cable with me after returning from TDF and have been up to the Arctic since and have not needed it.I probably carry more tools and such with me than I need and have helped out other riders on the road but I don't mind the weight.I always figured it is better to have than not to have when you really need it.
  3. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Ditto!
    dmsantam, DIRT SQUIRTER and JagLite like this.
  4. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Following my run without clutch, the clutch itself started dragging. I got a new hub bushing and thrust washer and swapped them out which sorted it, but not entirely sure what was wrong with the original bits. Then I did another 1300 kms. I was wondering if the harsher clutchless changes would have generated a bit more swarf inside. I found out today, changing the oil after 3660 kms, which included the clutch issues. Total engine kms are now just short of 12k kms.

Good oil and gears :D
    FR700, drhippie2, toecutta and 3 others like this.
  5. Kernel

Kernel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So the bike literally shat its clutch out?
  6. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    JagLite and Chip Seal like this.
  7. Fuzzball

Fuzzball Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    G'day BergDonk, first of all hope you've healed up.
    Secondly, this is the only Yenkro/Jebtech fairing I've seen that's "shorter" with a clear screen. I want to get that, but for the 25L IMS tank. Was yours a one off, or something that can be bought?

Cheers.
  8. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    BergDonk,I think you are lucky you weren't in the outback with gut problems.Sorry to hear about your situation.Get well soon!
    BergDonk and huguesfrederic like this.
  9. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Contact Joe at Jebtech, or pm him; @DRjoe It was an early run of his latest option, seems a few people have been asking for it. We did decide that we/she prefer to look over and not through so I did subsequently take some off the top of the screen and it now pretty much mimics the version I have
    Fuzzball likes this.
  10. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Its a year ago now and now mostly over it I think/hope. All things considered, it worked out as well as it could have. Reporting at the local hospital on the weekend meant they transferred me up to Canberra where it just happened that their #1 gastroenterologist was rostered on for emergency stuff on the Sunday. Then their estimated 1hr of theatre time morphed into 4hrs due to problems I'd created for them. Still, in line with one of my philosophies, if you're going to do something do it right!
    rwebell and JagLite like this.
  11. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Off to the USA

Last December 2018 @Lil' Steve, aka LilSteve, and @cyberdos, aka Julio, contacted myself and @Nogoodnamesleft, aka Simon, about travelling to the US to participate in the forthcoming Sep 2019 DR Rally at LaSal. The Rally hadn't actually been announced at that point, but they had plans. They and a few others that routinely participate in the 'big' DR650 thread; https://advrider.com/f/threads/the-dr650-thread.135295/ had been getting together and riding at Moab in Utah a couple of times and thought it would be great to go bigger, with an open invite to all with an interest in DR650s. And if a couple of us from downunder could make it, all the better.

Julio had posted up a thread about their 2018 trip that got people excited, and was a stimulus in getting the bigger 2019 event happening; https://advrider.com/f/threads/1-2-miles-to-moab.1342846/

[​IMG]

The 'big' DR650 thread is one of, if not the biggest thread here on ADVR and goes off at all sorts of tangents not directly associated with motorcycles, let alone DR650s. Its filled with good humour and people with knowledge and experience of a hugely diverse range of non DR subjects. The thinking was that it would be good to meet, and maybe ride with, as many of the thread participants as possible face to face.

LilSteve and Julio reckoned they'd sort bikes for us. They had a few DR650s between them, including the one and only ProCycle built DR900; https://procycle.us/info/articles/dr650/dr900.html and maybe access to others, and it'd be all good, or better.

Seemed like a great idea, but I wasn't sure about a few things, so decided to let it simmer for a bit over Christmas. While it simmered, I did a bit of research into air fares and insurance. Seems that for about $1300 Au I could get to Phoenix and back and be covered for riding a bigger bike. The hook with bait had been set.

As an aside, you do need to closely look at travel insurance PDS docs, and keep a copy of the PDS current when you pay your $s, in case it changes in the interim. You really do need to consider medical costs in the US, and going riding in the desert and canyons etc, if things went bad.... Jumping ahead for a moment, Julio mentioned that he'd had an off a while back, bumping his shoulder. After a few days of unsuccessfully ignoring it, he went to his local hospital's casualty/emergency department for a checkup. He got the all clear for breaks after an hour, which involved a few minutes with each of 5 people and a few XRays. The damage, wait for it........ $26,000 US When he asked how it could be so much, he was told not to worry, his insurance covered the bulk of it :hmmmmm

Anyway, in the meantime, in early January, Julio made the big announcement with a dedicated thread; https://advrider.com/f/threads/dr650-rally-lasal-utah-sept-5-8.1359221/ the excitement generated seemed to permeate the DRintersphere.

For me, simmering pluses included an affordable air fare and the offer of accommodation and bike over there. The big one would be meeting up in person with many of the great people over there that I'd met here on ADVR. A bonus would be riding in some spectacular country, some of which I'd passed though on a road trips in 1994 and 1999. Simmering minuses included not being fully over my health issues, with bike fitness having suffered heaps as a result, it'd be stupid hot over there in late summer, and maybe the bike wouldn't fit me. My growing mass, dodgy knees and hips, big feet/boots, and the limited range of movement of my right elbow means that my bike's ergonomics and suspension need to be just so. Another less important factor was that I sort of had riding plans here in Oz at the same time, with the DSMRA AGM and TK Memorial Ride on back to back weekends; https://www.dsmra.asn.au/index.php and https://advrider.com/f/threads/tony-kirby-memorial-ride-2019.1356785/

After letting it simmer, and addressing a few priority things, at the end of March, with encouragement from my wife, I acquired a ticket to and from Phoenix. The plan had evolved such that I'd arrive a few days early which would allow some sorting out of 'my' bike, some local riding perhaps, then we'd load up the 'Pussy Wagon' and head to Moab for 4 days riding there before moving on to Lasal for the Rally proper. After LaSal I'd have another week in the US to do some more exploring, with the possibility of taking the 'Pussy Wagon' or one of LilSteve's road bikes, or maybe a DR out on the road for my remaining time there.

upload_2019-9-21_12-44-26.png

LilSteve's faithful Pussy Wagon!

[​IMG]

Further committing, I acquired a wheelie gear bag. Transporting dirt bike gear is a pain, that had to be made as easy as possible. Lugging stuff about airport terminals isn't fun at the best of times.

Unfortunately Simon, with his commitment to caring for his mother, didn't feel he could get away. There was still plenty of time if he changed his mind, but it seemed unlikely he would.

Note; I didn't take any pictures myself, but others took heaps, so I'll shamelessly borrow them, above and below. OTTOMH I'll 'steal' them from @NC Rick, @cyberdos, @Lil' Steve, @psmcd, @Fishnbiker, and maybe others too.
    boboneleg, OzCr0w, sarcoid and 18 others like this.
  12. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    :thumb :thumb :thumb

..........:lurk
    Solo Moto and psmcd like this.
  13. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    After a while, as the time to depart got closer, I started to think harder about what gear to take. The expected heat would knock me about. In years gone by I could deal with it, but now that I'm an old man, its not so easy to cope with.

upload_2019-9-21_13-50-54.png

While I was there it got up to 110F, or 43C, yuk :knary

The boys reckoned Moab, further north and higher at <> 5000' vs <>1200', would be 10F cooler, and LaSal, at <> 7000' would be 10F cooler again, so still 90F, or 32C which is about my limit of tolerability these days. It might even get humid in Phoenix, which has a monsoon season in late summer, and that as we know, makes it worse.

Remember too that I live in a colder part of Australia, adjacent to the Snowy Mountains, where we had been getting morning temps down to -10C/14F and maybe up to 18C/64F on the warmer days.

upload_2019-9-21_14-6-11.png

Most Americans I spoke to didn't know we have snow in Oz, let alone how much country we have under snow in winter.

upload_2019-9-21_14-8-48.png

Supposedly we have more land under snow in winter than Switzerland, at least I was told that once pre internet.

Anyway, bottom line for me was it would be hot, and I would be coming out of the cold straight into it. The boys reckoned that Phoenix only exists because of air conditioning.

So some MX gear, should do the job, but I'd had offers in the interim of other bikes to ride after LaSal, including one from @procycle, aka Jeff, whose WR790, the one with the #2 Nova gearbox. @Fishnbiker, aka Ken, was bringing it down from Oregon for the Rally for people to test ride, and if it could be ridden back there rather than trucked/trailed then all the better for our test program. Latterly, I also had the option of riding Jeff's Africa Twin back to Oregon too. So if I was to take advantage of one of the offers of a bike to ride some more, including LilSteve's, more ADV/road gear would be better. In the meantime LilSteve decided he needed a spare helmet and would acquire a Bell ADV one in my size if that helped :thumb

So I loaded up my bags, along with a few fridge magnets for the Rally participants, a few Ozzie baseball caps, 6 Coopers Vintage, a book about the Snowy Scheme where I worked for 31 years which is a microcosm of modern Australia and an FCR carb that we might get around to playing with on Julio's Lectron equipped DR790.

[​IMG]

I also packed a Settlers Album, some Vegemite, and some Quandong sauces for a further taste of Oz for my hosts.

upload_2019-9-21_14-22-52.png

upload_2019-9-21_14-25-28.png

All packed up into 2 wheelie bags and a carryon back pack and my wife dropped me at the bus stop in Cooma on the Sunday morning and off to Phoenix I went.

upload_2019-9-21_13-30-7.png
  14. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    The bus trip to Sydney took most of the day. I'd booked a motel near the airport for Sunday night, which meant I could get to the airport easily Monday morning for my 09:30 flight to LAX. I had the opportunity in between to head into the city and catch up with my daughter for a beer and meal, Mexican as it happened and with hindsight, the best Mexican I've eaten in the last month, go figure. Then back to the room in time for the Silverstone MotoGP which was another special race.

For some reason, suspicious looking maybe, I copped the full treatment at the airport, except for the cavity search. It started when the computer wouldn't print my boarding pass at the counter. I got asked why I had two passports! Hmmmm :uhoh Anyway, after a number of denials, I was believed, maybe I had an honest face after all, but it didn't stop me getting the full pat down, an interview and bag search just in case.

Anyway, I made the flight, and the connecting flight to Phoenix after being given a bum steer as to which terminal at LAX to head to. It felt like I walked about 5 kms at LAX dragging my bags before finding the right terminal and gate :hair I arrived in LAX about 3 hrs before I left Monday morning, international date line and all that.

Originally Julio was to meet me at Phoenix, but that changed at the last minute to LilSteve for whom I only had contact via ADVR. The idea was that he'd find me, as I'd wear an Oz green and gold baseball cap, drag a couple of wheelie bags, and look lost and tired. After a few messages, which meant booting my ultrabook and using the terminal's free WiFi each time, we traversed the terminal a number of times, likely crossing paths, we eventually found each other after an hour or more. Seemed like I was in a Benny Hill skit at the time.

We headed off to LilSteve's place to check out his abode, his air conditioned garage full of bikes and meet his family. Plan A was that I'd stay with LilSteve and his family, but that wasn't going to work out, so a spare room at Julio's a few miles away was made available. After a period of catching up, Julio arrived, and more catching up and discussing plans, including a few beers, I was given a lift over to Julio's by LilSteve. Julio was on his commuter road bike and I had bags. I got to bed about 20:00 local time, which meant I'd been awake for about 41 hrs.

I woke up about 10:00 the next morning, after Julio and his family had all left, and I'd not yet met his wife and son. I was the alien Ozzie hiding in their spare room. I got a message to LilSteve and he came over a while later and we headed for brunch at a nearby cafe. He then took me to a bank where I accessed some local cash$s and then a couple of phone shops so I could get a local SIM for my newish international spec dual SIM Samsung S8. Got one for <> $40US with 150G of data and unlimited calls for a month.

[​IMG]

One of the things I'd been trying to decide about was whether to bring my Montana GPS with me. My phone is OK as a GPS, but I don't have any mounting for it, and I didn't have any US maps for my Montana. And then I would mostly only be following and wouldn't need a GPS anyway, maybe. Then there were the options after Lasal to consider too.

At the last moment I decided it had to come along, I'd feel naked without it, and acquired a new Rugged Mount with a couple of days to spare, pulled out some old RAM mounting stuff I had, and made up a fly lead with a couple of connections for power. I also have a windscreen suction mount for it, so with that all covered, I found a NA road map on ebay cheap and got it sent to LilSteve's. Turns out it was a download link, so did that at LilSteve's and copied it across to a micro SD card and put it into my Montana. And it seemed to work :nod

[​IMG]

Then it was time to check out 'my' bike. Apart from his two DRs, a 650 and the 900, LilSteve had a KLX250. It hadn't been used for a while and in attempting to get it operational he found the carb all gummed up.

[​IMG]

So he tracked down a new carb, a TM33 pumper, bored to 34 IIRC. It happened to be attached to a bike though, one with a tall seat and beefed up suspension, along with a 351 big bore piston and it made sense that this would be 'my' bike rather than a lowered DR set up for a shorter lighter person. Its a 2006 model, the same as my wife's which she got new for Christmas 2006 that subsequently got a few upgrades, including a 300 top end. They're decent bikes that I'm somewhat familiar with, and it looked like it'd work for me.

As mentioned above, any riding that I got in would be a bonus, and my riding plan was not to challenge myself in any way, take it easy, and not test out the US medical system, my insurance, or perhaps worst of all, suffer any more than necessary on the long journey home with injuries.

So later that Tuesday afternoon Julio came by on his new ex Warp9 DR790 and with LilSteve on his 650 we headed out for a test ride into the hills north of Phoenix. This entailed about 25 mls along local roads at commuter hour at speeds up to 60 mph with everyone driving on the wrong side of the road. And it was a cooler 100F with sun getting low on the horizon. The KLX was cramped for me, even though set up for a bigger person, and in the fading light on the first dirt section I had to quit, it was just not going to work. So we high tailed it back to LilSteve's to work out what would happen next.
    boboneleg, sarcoid, yehaaa6 and 9 others like this.
  15. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    I was cramped on the bike, with the bars and seat too low and the gear lever to tight for my foot. @tobiism, aka Mat, who lives nearby, has a DR, and occasionally rides with LilSteve and Julio and is a master craftsman with welding skills, came over and we discussed some options. He had a spare set of fat bar Rox Risers he bought over with him and over a couple of beers a plan evolved. This included a new set of fat bars, a couple of Walmart ATV seat pads and modding the gear lever a bit.

[​IMG]

Too tall for LilSteve and too short for me and not a compromise either us was happy with.

[​IMG]

As an aside, Mat is a bit new to dirt bikes and LilSteve and Julio have been breaking him in around Phoenix. Julio is especially known for his bonus loops and it seems Mat is up for anything. Here's Mat having a rest on a cactus bed part way up a short hill with Julio waiting at the top.

[​IMG]

Even Julio fails to proceed at times. I had been warned! So the next day, Wednesday, we went shopping for some fat bars and some grips and a couple of seat pads appeared. The KLX had alloy stock size 7/8" bars. Back at LilSteve's shed/garage we decided the fat bars with the risers wasn't ideal and I was able to return the fat bars.

[​IMG]

Julio likes his beer coloured blue, go figure...

[​IMG]

LilSteve went online and was able to track down a set of stock size swivelling Rox Risers, which were shop soiled and therefore discounted, and would be delivered the next day. Things were looking up. We then trimmed the gear lever tip and rotated it a bit on the splines and had a beer.

[​IMG]

So with a bit of spare time, I asked LilSteve to take me to a supermarket and I'd cook some tea, aka dinner for everyone. Wandering around foreign supermarkets is always interesting. I brewed up a peanut/cashew satay stir fry which seemed to go down OK and we watched a lightning show on the distant peaks. A couple of squalls almost wet the ground.

[​IMG]

The next morning, Thursday, the Rox Risers arrived and we fitted them up. I got a test ride in on a nearby construction site, decided it wasn't going to kill me unless I did something stupid, and deemed the bike good enough. Stupid hot still too.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So Friday arrived and it was time to load up for the trip to Moab. With Julio too sick to go to work, the 3 of us got the shopping and loading done earlyish. Plan A had been to head off before sparrow's fart Sat morning, but what would we do with the rest of Friday. Drink beer, or get a head start, so off to Flagstaff we went to set us up for a cruisy run on Saturday.

upload_2019-9-21_17-5-27.png

298 km to Flagstaff and then another 499 km on to Moab on Saturday.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

up through Monument Valley and on to Moab.
    boboneleg, OzCr0w, simestd and 29 others like this.
  16. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Brilliant! :jkam

Excellent start for your adventure. :thumb

I forgot all about the Lectron carb. :scratch
    I look forward to reading more about your trip. :beer
    yehaaa6, BergDonk and AK650 like this.
  17. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Glad I saw this thread. Have to start at page one, as it looks well worth it. New DR owner here, with lots to learn!
    BergDonk likes this.
  18. Rick1952

Rick1952 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed riding with you, fishnbiker and others on Saturday- Glad you made it home all in one piece. Hope to see and ride with you again.
    JagLite, Fishnbiker and BergDonk like this.
  19. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Learn how to break a DR650 like most others can't!

Ditto
    JagLite and AK650 like this.
  20. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    We arrived in Moab mid afternoon Saturday, found the house, and proceeded to unload.

[​IMG]

The house had 3 bedrooms, a couple of doubles and another with 2 double bunks, a decent kitchen, and AIR CONDITIONING. The crew stayed there last year and subsequently found out its owned by one of @NC Rick's customers. I scored a spare double which I had until @Mongle, aka Ian and his wife Marcie arrived later in the week.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

With some beer in the eskies/coolers, and some uncooled in reserve and the imminent arrival of Rick and his wife Joyce, @psmcd, aka Phil, having just arrived too, the excitement level was increasing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rick not only bought along his DR790, but his 'cheater' 350EXC for the more techie riding like Slick Rock. It was so heavy, he needed Phil to help him unload.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Time for some bench racing and a feed, and talk about tomorrow, and the rest of the week's ride plans.

You may have noted by now that beer is a theme, as it often is with motorcyclists. On my previous trips to the US, 1984, 1994, 1999 and very briefly passing through in 2007, beer and cats piss or similar seemed to be largely interchangeable terms. Seems the Yanks have finally figured out that beer isn't Coors or Budweiser and their clones, and craft microbreweries have gone off everywhere in the last 10 years or so. Here at the house, and at the Rally later in the week, it seemed that everyone bought along enough of their local brews for themselves, and everyone else to sample. My token effort of a 6 pack of Coopers Vintage got left behind in Phoenix somehow, maybe LilSteve liked it?

So, the plan for the next day, Sunday, was for the six of us to go riding.
    boboneleg, OzCr0w, sarcoid and 14 others like this.