1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BergDonk's DR650s

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by BergDonk, Dec 20, 2010.

1. Bugga Me

Bugga Me n00b

Oddometer:
    That's exactly what I originally had in mind.

Now Bergdonk has me questioning the merits but wondering if it may have something to do with the transition of the radius- is a small radius which would have a flatter face that would be 'seen' by the airflow. Coukdnt quite tell in his photo. Unsure.

But after Bergdonks comments I now feel a larger transitional radius will work better' even if it means a little port matching/transitioning with the carb body.

I am presuming the ports/reliefs for the two air jets -MSJ and PAJ work?

Anyway time to have a play. Unfortunately it will still be a little while till I can test a few samples.

Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.
    BergDonk likes this.
  2. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Not much happening bikewise of late, but I have been out last week and the last couple of days. Summer has been a writeoff, stinking hot, then fires, and some recovery after a bit of rain. We did get a visit last week from @procycle, aka Jeff, and his lovely wife Susan who have been in Oz for a bit and now figuring out how to get home, and not via NZ as planned. Some bug causing grief apparently.....

[​IMG]

Spent some weeks playing with fire.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Jeff and I headed out for an easy ride to meet up with the girls for lunch at Adaminaby, Jeff on HE650RS and me on HI790S.

[​IMG]

There was a minor delay as Jeff succumbed to a pinch flat acquired on a cattle grid not long after we departed.

[​IMG]

While Jeff and I were travelling a longer way to lunch, the girls went along to visit some friends nearby who have been managing the wildlife rescue after the fires. They have a number of koalas and wombats in rehab.

[​IMG]

We made a small dent in my beer fridge after the ride. The James Squire Ace of Spades Porter and Coopers Vintage were, among various others, particularly popular.

[​IMG]

It was great to have them here for a few days, and more time would have enabled more riding, maybe next time, here or there.

[​IMG]

Yesterday a couple of mates came to visit and go a for a ride. @DougW rode HE650RS and Gregg rode his DR2. It was the first time all three of my DR builds had been out together, let alone photographed together. L to R, above lake Eucumbene near Old Adaminaby, HE650RS, DR2 and HI790S, We had another ride today, with Doug on his own DR650 for comparison. Among other things, he especially liked the DRZE/Ohlins suspension compared to his upgraded stock units.
  3. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Wrong side of the Vcitorian virus zombi-fence
    Bugger - I could've slipped up for a day too!
    JagLite likes this.
  4. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Anytime, but leave the bugs behind.
    Precis and AK650 like this.
  5. BergDonk

Oddometer:
  6. Kernel

Kernel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you lose some weight BergDonk?
  7. BergDonk

Oddometer:
  8. Kernel

Kernel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep, I did go through that thread, good info, the technical bits too mechanical for me to understand :D
  9. Kernel

Kernel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  10. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Not much DR related stuff happening here, or riding, like the most of Oz right now. I've been doing maintenance jobs around here, some shed work, and the pending for too long valve job on the S10 will start any day now. I did get a ride to town a week or so ago, cross posted from the big DR thread:

I've got a few mice that have taken up residence in my shed. So an essential trip to town was justified to obtain some Ratsak or similar. Having made some gearing adjustments to the SWMBO's HE650RS I also decided it was essential that I tested it out on said trip to town. Town, Cooma, is <> 25 kms to the westish via a sealed road, or 35 kms via either of two dirt roads. With safety first and foremost in my thinking, taking the least trafficked longer option made sense. In no rush, I actually stopped to soak it up a few times, and even took a few pics.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Going clockwise to town and back, generally heading south initially, but actually looked east in the pic, not far from home.

[​IMG]

Out of the river valley, up the hill and heading WSWish towards town.

[​IMG]

Got the Ratsak, then north a bit out of town and onto the No Through road home. Top of the hill about 1/3 of the way home looking ENE out over the river valley.

[​IMG]

After a run along the valley for a few kms, it starts to tighten up, looking east.

[​IMG]

Slightly rocky downhill and almost home. This bit is likely the reason for the No Through Rd sign, dunno, but no doubt keeps the riff raff out. Did used to be a bit snotty, but fixed up a few years ago. Some maps show it as a fire trail. @procycle and I did this to and from town option not so long ago, although we did go beyond town that day.

Essential trip to town completed safely, one car sighted near town, gearing change validated as an improvement, and Ratsak now out and hopefully will do its job.

The gearing on HE650RS went from 15/43 to 14/43, which I thought would be too low, but with the taller Nova 5th gear, the Vapor now reckons 100 kph <> 4,400 rpm and its now happy in 5th from just under 80 kph instead of needing at least 95 kph. So it'll stay this way until a new chain and sprockets is needed, and it'll likely end up 15/46. Partly because I have a left over new Chaingang 46 t, albeit 520. I used to use these on my DR, but went to 47 t with the Nova box. So my thinking right now is to go 525 chain and front sprocket, with the 520 rear, but I have plenty of time to come up with a another idea.

Hang in there :-)
    Weldr, zookster, JRowland and 6 others like this.
  11. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ratsak GREAT name !!
    JRowland and AK650 like this.
  12. BergDonk

Oddometer:
  13. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    Hopefully that will get rid of the rat shit. :fpalm
    JRowland and BergDonk like this.
  14. Kernel

Kernel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  15. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

A trip to town last week by no the most direct route was good. 790 is sweet :webers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also finished tidying up all my tracks at home. Been a bit neglected in recent years and needed clearing and some gully crossings needed sorting too. Plenty of ups and downs, 1st and 2nd gear, with maybe 2 blats in 3rd on Big Berg. Not really a DR loop, although not too bad on the DR if I cut out the snotty bits.

I originally, and progressively, laid it all out with the idea that the local club that I was President of at the time might run an enduro on it, probably a sprint, Cooma Off Road Club, or CORC. Hence the clover leafing, and an attempt to not get too close such that riders might have thought they had a short cut opportunity if they spotted another bike. They may have, but might also have lengthened their lap. Formal racing never happened though.

I used to run regular weekend suspension clinics with Frank Pons for a lot of years, 3 or 4 a year at peak and I'd set versions of this up for testing. When we got the suspension right here, it'd be good anywhere on the east coast for club MX, trail and enduro. Latterly we did some ADV workshops, and I have plenty of that terrain not far from my gate too.

One of the locals, when he did his test lap after suspension work, on his return, said something along the lines of " F...k, I've lived in this valley all my life and never been lost before!!!!".

A lap gets a sweat up :D
    dmsantam, AK650, JagLite and 5 others like this.
  16. DR790

DR790 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is good to see the fires last year that were close didn't burn your course.
  17. BergDonk

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

The fire got to about 450 m from my top NE corner. Closer than I'd prefer. I also took HE650RS out to the east into the forest to have a look 10 days or so ago. Its where we rode that day. The burnt starts about 2 kms east of here, this pic is about 17 km ENE from here, well into the forest. Its officially closed while fallen timber and dangerous trees are sorted, and there's lots to sort. Most of my riding country to the east and onto the coast, all the forest stuff, is now burnt and closed. I will go and check out some more, but trying to stay within the spirit of the lockdown for the time being.

HE650RS with its current engine, virtually all new with fettled squish and full Nova box, along with 14/43 gearing is running great. I'm very happy how its turned out. No 790, but for 90% more or less of our riding, it really makes little difference.
    AK650, DR790, JagLite and 1 other person like this.
  18. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Looking for something completely completely unrelated a while back on eBay, I tripped over this variable leverage clutch perch. Having been thinking about something like this, adjustable travel vs effort, I was intrigued. So at the price I ordered one, and It turned up yesterday.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/CNC-Clutch...18:m:mitTEFpqUiMkHUg5KhhWSzA&autorefresh=true

[​IMG]
    The adjustable travel is achieved by having 3 positions that the cable ferrule can be attached. It also has adjustable lever position, which is hinged to reduce crash damage and a quick adjust on the fly red thumb lever to spin the adjuster out if needed. Reverse isn't quite as easy, but works, and likely needs one to be stationary. Nicely made, slop free, and an elegant design. Might be susceptible to dirt ingress, time will tell. I wondered whether having the cable ferrule in one of the non central positions might increase the chance of cable failure due to rubbing on the adjuster, but doesn't look too bad in operation.

[​IMG]

Cable ferrule is now fitted into the longest from pivot position for reduced travel, heaviest load, after testing in the middle position initially. No fouling of the switch block, but bear in mind mine has had the choke lever bit removed. Seems like a nice improvement for me compared to what I had. Fully disengaged with 2 fingers with a bit of room to spare.

[​IMG]

Lever in the up, crash, position. Its got a nice spring loaded ball detent to keep it where it normally needs to be.

[​IMG]

No mirror mount lug on the perch, and that's fine with me. My mirrors are mounted to my barkbusters and are moved outward a bit for a good view behind and can't break the perch in a crash, ...... I think, hope.

As ever, YMMV :D
    GHO100, kezzajohnson, Kernel and 11 others like this.
  19. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Hi Steve,

Hope you're travelling well.

I have had contact from Nova to let me know the gearbox are nearly ready and they have given a couple of options between WR A and WR B (see attached).

Not cheap but I didn't expect them to be, but seeing as my DR is my forever bike, I think it'll be money well spent.

My interpretation is the only difference between the two is the first gear ratio - is that right, and do the figures mean that first gear on WR B is taller than that of WR A ?

Seems like a lot of extra dollars for a difference of one gear only but...

What's your opinion (and/or recommendation) between the two please. I want to commit but want to be sure I make the right choice. WR A is more within my budget but if WR B was to outstandingly better, I may well stretch the budget a bit. Waddya reckon ?

[​IMG]
    drhippie2, AK650 and JagLite like this.
  20. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Travelling fine here, or not that much, but getting out a bit locally. You?

Nova reckon none of their other products have had as much interest, or orders apparently, so it is now a big thing for them. We got this happening back in early 2016, so it has dragged on longer than anyone expected/hoped.

A vs B. I have the A in my 790 and B in the wife's 650. Once I adjusted the final drive gearing to get top more or less as it was I'm very happy with the outcome. I did wonder whether the wider ratios, especially the B set, might be too wide for the stockish 650 but that's not the case.

Apart from the $s, there is no downside. A or B? If you are happy enough with stock gearing, then the A set is a nice improvement. If you want it to tractor even more, then the B set is the go, and this works for my wife who is a perpetual learner, who may have actually now hung up her helmet now, not 100% sure.

The cost difference is due to the B set needing a custom mainshaft, as the mainshaft has 1st drive gear cut into it. The A set uses the stock mainshaft, with a driven gear with an extra tooth, so still lower than stock 1st, just not as low as the B version. The other ratios are all the same, the only difference is 1st.

If you felt the need for a new mainshaft, then the B would be tempting. You may or may not want/need a new countershaft too, which would be a function of spline damage due to the drive sprocket, especially if running narrow 520 sprockets.

I suspect most would be more than happy with the A set, I am.
    zookster, Sonny S., DR790 and 3 others like this.