1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

BergDonk's DR650s

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by BergDonk, Dec 20, 2010.

1. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    and with less wear and improved durability, plus hopefully no exploding 3rds, more wins.

[​IMG]

With the 'miracle' Lubealloy LA35ES oil, my magnetic sump plugs look like this after 3-4k km oil changes. No swarf and negligible magnetic paste.
  2. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    Cheers,

Yeah not so much travelling here either, been too busy working because apparently I am essential. There is a couple of multi day rides coming up for me in the next week and month however, so looking forward to those.

I have no such issues with my mainshaft and have always run 525 sprockets with no abnormal wear evident. Thanks for the answer. Looks like A might be the go.
    AK650, JagLite and BergDonk like this.
  3. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Note that in addition to the prices quoted, here in Oz you more than likely be hit for GST when it arrives.
    AK650 and JagLite like this.
  4. kezzajohnson

kezzajohnson kezza

Oddometer:
    True that and not something I considered. Thanks for the reminder.

Just to get it straight, 1st and 2nd gear are lower than stock and 3rd 4th and 5th are higher ?
    AK650 and JagLite like this.
  5. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Wow. :yikes

I'm sure my magnet would come out much dirtier than that if I put in new oil and never started the engine before pulling the plug out. :dirtdog

Lubealloy has a winner there! :clap
    mrsdnf and AK650 like this.
  6. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Correct, I've tweaked my original spreadsheet a bit so it should be easier to interpret. I've also added some final drive ratios and % changes from 15/41 so you can consider sprocket swaps to get 5th back to where it was, or...

[​IMG]

The difference between the A and B is that the 1st in the B is <>5% lower than the A, which in turn is 3.4% lower than stock. By adding a couple of teeth to the back, you lower 1st again and bring 5th back to more or less where it was, +/-.

On HI790S I was running 15/46, 18" rim, and went to 15/47 with the A box. On HE650RS I was running 15/43 and its now 14/43, 17" rim, and will likely end up 15/46.
  7. AK650

AK650 Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Really helpful data there Steve, thanks for posting that! :beer Hopefully, Nova is planning to ship a few across the pond to a certain parts supplier in Oregon! Need to decide on A or B........
  8. Kernel

Kernel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    I've been doing some maintenance on some of my fleet.

[​IMG]

A major service on the Tenere, a PITA for sure.

[​IMG]

Also a major service on the quad, and a few upgrades to make it easier next time.

[​IMG]

Some work on the missus' KLX300, including a light 'adventurising'.

[​IMG]

And a little local riding, with a couple of overnighters.
    River Rat, JagLite, zookster and 3 others like this.
  10. mrsdnf

mrsdnf Long timer

Oddometer:
    Lost between the Dandenongs and Yarra Valley
    I'll bring the TRX850 for a valve check. :D
    BergDonk likes this.
  11. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Then There Were Two of Us

A while back, a few of us, five, decided we needed to get away for a bit bigger ride. The initial thinking was a Darling River run to see it with water, its been very dry out west for too long, and rain earlier in the year that damped out the fires, also put some water in it.

Juggling the lockdowns, visitor not so welcomes, and potential 2nd wave this morphed into a planned 6 day ex Canberra ride to Glen Innes covering some of the NSW Central West and Western Slopes leaving 6 days ago. The timing meant Dave couldn't dodge his family's need to celebrate his 40th, so we were down to four. Then just before the off, Chris had a sudden family issue occur that required him to stay home too. So last Friday I rode up to Doug's place in Canberra from whence we headed over to Gregg's on Saturday morning to meet up and three of us in heavy fog and cold headed for Ariah Park Hotel for night 1 of 6.

[​IMG]

Doug was on his preferred DRZ400 and Gregg on his DR2, along with ride leader me on HI790S. Here we're outside the Ariah Park Pub, a great little pub a little bit off the beaten track, and one we'll get back to for sure.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One of my trip objectives was not to see any burnt, which was the case when not near here. Above I'm at 1200 m 25 kms from home and the grass is yet to kick into spring mode, and many of the trees are dead and won't recover.

Saturday night, at the end of day 1, Doug got a message that his 96 yo mum had taken a fall. Monitoring the situation through Sunday, he decided he needed to be home, so Monday morning he slabbed back to Canberra from Narromine, which left Gregg and I to head for Narrabri. Checking the weather forecast, it seemed that the following Friday, ie today, it would be raining where we planned to be, so we rerouted to Gunnedah, bypassing Glen Innes, where we picked up on the originally planned afternoon run from Gunnedah to Dunedoo for the night, and putting us a neat day ahead of Plan A.

We had blue skies each day, perfect riding weather, and only got snookered a few times, with the biggest deviation being bypassing Burrendong Dam due to locked gates.

There were a few flooded causeways that I found a way around, and a fair bit of mud, which would have been impassable a few days earlier. I'm getting better at taking pics, but always think after a more technical section that I should have got a pic. Too late though, and I prefer riding to stopping. Anyway, I did get a few this time, far more than my average. We had flat country, often with 10s of kms of drying mud ruts, floodways, hills and twisty bits, a great variety and nowhere to relax too much, lots of traps, especially on the notionally straight bits. We would have only been on sealed roads <> 10% of the trip, the rest was gravel, hardpack roads, lanes and tracks.

The country is looking great, and with more rain coming, and actually happening now as forecast, the farmers were all smiling and chatty when we stopped.

Bikes ran great with no problems, except for a blown tail light bulb on DR2 on day 1, which was sorted at lunch in Cootamundra. The concern was that we'd had a particularly foggy start with air temps just above zero, so visibility of us was a concern, especially for Gregg on DR2. Day 2 had a foggy start too, and none after that IIRC.

An excellent week away, unfortunately only completed by two of us, so next time gentlemen......
  12. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

2760 kms for me, a few less for the Canberra blokes.

Day 1 here to Canberra 135 kms
    Day 2 Canberra to Ariah Park 422 kms
    Day 3 Ariah Park to Narromine 507 kms
    Day 4 Narromine to Narrabri 494 kms
    Day 5 Narrabri to Dunedoo 430 kms
    Day 6 Dunedoo to Gooloogong 444 kms
    Day 7 Gooloogong home 433 kms

Not big days as such, and allowed for lesser daylight winter days and maybe a problem. We left <> 08:30 each day and finished up about 16:30, in good time for a scrub, cold beer and feed :drink:dukegirl
  13. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Bike and Tyre Update

The trip means that I now have a total of 20,210 kms on the 790/Nova combo. No issues whatsoever, runs great and uses less fuel than a stocker.

[​IMG]

I'm a bit of a tyre agnostic on my DR, as my log above might testify. I have been gravitating towards bigger baggier 90/100 front tyres and rather like the Mitas, nee Sava, 140/80 18 up back. The bigger tyres are a bit better in softer, sandier conditions, especially up front. My fallback front has been the Pirelli Scorpion Rally, although I hadn't had one on for a while as I worked through a few 90/100 options.

I picked up a Motoz FIM 6 Enduro 90/100 front a while back. It seems to be the biggest baggiest front I've tried, and after 2,500 kms it was hardly worn and felt great. So I put another Scorpion Rally on to compare. The Rally was as good as I remembered, but no better than the FIM 6. I took the Rally off and put the FIM 6 back on for the trip and more comparing.

I think I've now decided my front of choice is the Motoz FIM 6, it lasts nearly as long as the Rally, at least 80-90% or more TBC, works as good or better, and is 2/3 the cost.

[​IMG]

New, they have reasonably big knobs, with plenty of sea.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5282 kms and starting to scallop up a bit, but should be OK for another 1500-2000 kms, TBC.

[​IMG]

The Rally that came off at 7128 kms, still with life in it if necessary, but past its best.

The Motoz especially impressed in braking, full on hard slowing for a few roos and it gripped when I expected a lockup.

[​IMG]

Up back for the trip i decided to try a Motoz RallZ 140/80 18.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It started with 14 mm of tread and now as 10 mm left after 2776 kms. So it should be good for 5k, maybe 6k kms all up and similar to the life I've got out of the Mitas MC23 and E09s. Its a bit expensive, but worked great everywhere. Based on the extra cost, I'll likely stay with the MC23 for bigger trips, I've still got a few others in the shed to wear out though, another 606 included.
  14. Bugga Me

Bugga Me n00b

Oddometer:
    It's snowing in the Flinders.....
    leighwgold, Fishnbiker and BergDonk like this.
  15. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    The Bull

Heading into Gunnedah along a narrow lane I caught up with a ute cruising along kicking up a small amount of dust. I sat back a bit, deciding whether to get past or not. The GPS showed a tight right hander coming up, so I decided to get past there when it slowed and accelerate past on the exit on a tight line, which worked fine. I picked up the pace a bit, and so did the ute, so Gregg sat back behind it.

Coming up to a T intersection, I spotted a bull, and it was in the lane. Hmmmm, slowing down a bit to assess, and the bull got to its feet and looked not happy. I accelerated past and turned right at the T. I wondered what would happen next. According to Gregg it had a bit of a go at the ute which got past and then lined Gregg up. He made a 50/50 call as which direction it might jink and got away with it, and an adrenaline hit.

:knary said Gregg :shark

Could have been messy, being gored and trampled by a 1 ton bull in the middle of the lane.

[​IMG]
    Random internet bull pic, not ours.

Sometimes leading the ride exposes one to more risk from wildlife, sometimes it just stirs it up and its worse for those following.
    River Rat, AK650, Cruz and 11 others like this.
  16. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    GPX

A couple of people have asked me for the gpx, so its attached FYI. I've edited it a bit to protect the guilty, and added some possible options to bypass the snookerings we experienced. Included is the plan, and what we actually did. I've done most of the Glen Innes loop in the past, so should be OK too.
    Enjoy :beer

Attached Files:

River Rat, AK650, anydavenow and 8 others like this.
  17. joscrappie

joscrappie n00b

Oddometer:
    Super helpful comparison. Thanks for sharing!
    AK650 and BergDonk like this.
  18. Adrian V

Adrian V Long timer

Oddometer:
    Excellent update on the tyres, thanks :thumb.
    AK650 and BergDonk like this.
  19. Kernel

Kernel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  20. DIRT SQUIRTER

DIRT SQUIRTER Bitumen is just a way of getting there!

Oddometer:
    I think Steve must be busy talking to metal casting and machine shops for the "Aussie DR head" incarnation ....
    He must be cooking up something, otherwise he'd be bored.....:D
    The seed is planted:deal:lurk
    DR790 likes this.