BergDonk's DR650s

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by BergDonk, Dec 20, 2010.

1. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    Nah, not bored. Been doing stuff here at home, getting ready for my library to arrive, preparing site for a new a shipping container which I'll fit out and house my 50+ year magazine collection. Then plenty of earthworks, tractoring to improve our driveway so normal cars and my uncle's new LWD camper van don't scrape their undersides, which has meant I've got rid of my pile of left over tyres into landfill, most in the driveway, and the rest under the library.

[​IMG]

All hidden now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Replaced all the fluros in my main shed with LEDs for a 'brilliant' result. Batten lights in the lower roof section and bay lights in the high roof bit.

Been thinning out some scrub around the house in preparation for the next fire, plenty of community work, sold a couple of bikes, the Scorpa and FE650 which were no longer getting enough use. I did almost buy another DR project, but didn't,

No shed projects in play though, apart from routine maintenance. Although I do have plans to do some more testing of oil cooler variations on HI790S when some of the other higher priority tasks are under control.

I've also been planning the construction of my model railroad shed, a latent hobby for too many years and one I first got into at 4yo. I've got a heap of locos, rolling stock and track plus associated stuff that's been in storage since my old man passed away in 1987. I did have a bit of it setup in the house for a while a few years ago, but plans changed....Maybe I'll have to have a DR650 model on it....

Been on a few cage road trips with the missus and in between I've been riding, and I'm planning some more riding too. My next shed time will involve a new front tyre on my DR and some more tweaks to HE300RS.
  2. drhippie2

drhippie2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update...:beer

last two pics r a no show.. for me ..
    JRowland and JagLite like this.
  3. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Google pic sharing again, damn......

I'll paste them in then, last 2 you say?

upload_2020-10-7_8-10-44.png

[​IMG]
    JRowland and JagLite like this.
  4. drhippie2

drhippie2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Yep last two ... first pic is good ..no love on secant pic on secant try :muutt

I installed some similar LED lites in my shed ... Now I can see what I've been missing ...:dirtdog

Not sure thats good thing :pep

Way to many unfinished projects
    JRowland, JagLite and BergDonk like this.
  5. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Be boring otherwise. I do need another rainy day bike project though.....its raining today as it happens, and yesterday, and should start to clear tomorrow, so riding should be good for the weekend.
    :beer
    JRowland, JagLite and drhippie2 like this.
  6. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Pic #2 from above again, grrrr, the left overs.

upload_2020-10-7_9-24-58.png
    JRowland, JagLite and drhippie2 like this.
  7. BergDonk

Oddometer:

[​IMG]

At a bit over 5k kms, starting to get that knob taper.

[​IMG]

I just fitted a new front tyre. The Motoz front made it to almost 7k kms. The alternate wider spaced centre knobs have all but disappeared, making for an interesting wear pattern. It was still working tolerably, but was getting lumpy for sure. I have another Motoz FIM6 for next time, the tyre fitted today is a 90/00 Michelin HP5 Hard, with 'NHS' ground off. I've used these a couple of times and don't mind them.
    drhippie2, mrsdnf and JagLite like this.
  8. Kernel

Kernel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  9. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

My 'axe', coming up to a cumulative 160k kms with original frame and engine numbers.
    AK650, Bigger Al, Ozmac and 7 others like this.
  10. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Forgive me for not searching back thru the thread, but were you the person that made the pic with all the additional welding on the frame? Very impressive! Doesn't someone else run a courier business with a few DRs with tons of miles also? Thanks for the knowledge accumulation here.

Edit to add: Yes, its all coming back to me now, all the mods and upgrades are wonderful to follow!
  11. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    I did break my frame a few times, all documented in the previous pages. I did a thread on DRR consolidating it all into one place FWIW; https://drriders.com/beefing-up-the-frame-t25066.html

I posted this up on the big DR thread yesterday:

The Yenkro went on at 77k kms, an early prototype, so > 80k kms without issue, apart from a few early teething issues fixed in production versions.

The frame is original, but broken a few times, each time repaired and beefed up. Probably 80k kms on its current 'final' iteration https://drriders.com/beefing-up-the-frame-t25066.html

The KTM USD CC forks went on @ <> 19k kms and have been rebuilt a few times since. The Ohlins at <> 15k kms and likewise been routinely serviced.

The engine in it now, or at least the cases, was decommissioned originally after about 80k kms. Its replacement went 20k kms, the next 40k kms and the Nova 790 now has 22k kms on it. The Nova 790 is engine #1 rebuilt, the others were acquired via buying low km 2nd hand bikes, which I ended up rebuilding and on selling. The previous engines were all decommissioned due to excess swarf coming out on the magnetic sump with my confidence compromised. The Nova gearbox is Nova's #1 prototype and so far, the sump plugs are pristine. I also use a really really good oil now, over and above the excellent goodness of the stuff I used in the past.

They make 'em, I break 'em :-)
    Somehow I got into the loop with the development of the Yenkro and Nova gearbox, so arguably now a 'factory' test rider :scratch
  12. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    PS, @ninja97 has probably got more distance on DRs than many of us combined, he's the Melbourne courier who's done 100s of 1000s of kms on his.
    AK650, JRowland and JagLite like this.
  13. bunkmuffin

bunkmuffin Bunkmuffin

Oddometer:
    Oshawa Ontario The original home of General Motors
    Man Glitter.
  14. bunkmuffin

bunkmuffin Bunkmuffin

Oddometer:
    Oshawa Ontario The original home of General Motors
    Would you be kind enough to e-mail me the profile of that wee pattern.
    Capt. Billy (Bunkmuffin@gmail.com)
  15. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

From a previous request....
    AK650 and JagLite like this.
  16. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

A few years back in this thread I acquired a DR650 in pieces. I built it up into DR2 with a mate who acquired it, more or less replicating my DR at the time. Lots of detail differences, but overall, much the same with USD forks, longer travel shock, 18" rear rim, Yenkro fairing, etc.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The engine had suffered an NSU failure that had destroyed the clutch. The OP had stripped the engine down to the cases and then had the cases 'professionally' split and checked with a few parts replaced and reassembled. He'd also sourced a replacement clutch and then his life took over and it ended up here. We completed the engine assembly with the bits above. Post build, it hasn't done a lot of kms, <> 11k, but has been running well. My mate came down last week for a visit, to do some maintenance, and go for a ride. I had another good mate visiting for some maintenance on his 701 and subsequent ride too, so a good day in the shed and a good ride the next day was the plan, with a few beers in between.

[​IMG]
    Having just ridden 130 kms to get here, the oil was nice and hot, so out it came, with the sump plug looking like this, Arrrrrggghhhhhh :( :dirtdog:becca

[​IMG]

After the oil drained, the sump plug went back in momentarily and came out again with this lot attached, which included a lump of steel about 20 mm long. I had no idea where it was from, and compared it to an engine I have in pieces in storage and couldn't figure it out. The bike was running fine and everything was working as it should, but...... So 3.0 hrs later the engine was out of the frame and stripped right down. Sorry about the dodgy pic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

upload_2021-2-18_8-25-2.png

The clutch basket had come apart and there were 5 more chunks of steel inside, and more swarf. Seems the 3 rivets that lock it all together had failed in some way. Otherwise, everything looked normal, the bushing and washers all in place and fine.

[​IMG]

The crankcase in question is away being repaired. The one above is one I have lying about. The bit where the circle is above has a groove worn in and the bit getting fixed is the oil pump idler gear shaft bore, arrowed. The clutch hub had ground down the end of the shaft and more or less welded the circlip into the shaft. I used a Dremel with cut off wheel to remove it. Then the hole/bore in the case had been flogged out a bit, so its getting a sleeve fitted. The little end also has some wear on it that might be OK, but I have a better crank on hand and its with the same bloke to who'll check its alignment. The two engines I've had him rebuild cranks for are the smoothest running DRs I've come across, so may or may not be related.

So, some bits being repaired, and bits on order, with HE650RS out on loan in the interim. Might have all the bits early next week to put it all back together. Didn't take many pics, we were too focused on pulling it down and figuring out what happened.

In between, the starter motor on the 701 was removed, a new O ring fitted, and the oil leak seemingly fixed.

A few pages back I built up the engine that's now in HE650RS, which used a few parts from a few different engines. I noted at the time that the clutch jammed up when the centre nut was torqued up; https://advrider.com/f/threads/bergdonks-dr650s.646076/page-117#post-38845867 So I'm wondering if this failure of DR2's clutch could be related. Maybe the clutch supplied was made up of bits from different sources and after torquing up the nut I maybe didn't check it all spun freely, dunno, its not the same, but... :hmmmmm

The previous oil change had revealed a bit of swarf on the sump plug, so it had started. Fresh bearings, a better crank and rod, and we'll play with the squish too, and it will be better than it was.
  17. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Found just in time to save the engine it looks like. :thumb
    Not much longer before major damage, perhaps fatal to the motor?:yikes
    Magnetic drain plug to the rescue once again! :pynd
    Even with the damage done it could have been much worse. :knary

Most of us would be devastated to see that on the drain plug.:becca
    Especially a long way from home while on a trip. :2cry
    NC Rick, drhippie2, JRowland and 2 others like this.
  18. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Yep, thing is the bike was working fine, clutch worked normally etc, weird one for sure, and could really have been a lot messier. Root cause, dunno :scratch

At least its not a common one, and having it identified here in the shed is a bonus for sure.
  19. Nogoodnamesleft

Nogoodnamesleft Long timer

Oddometer:
    curious was the bolt head at my arrow in the pic loose or damaged, does that line up with the possible failure point radius if it was to contact the rivets or possibly a spring, I’m not sure which, if either sit proud or if they can even do that.
    I thought the springs would be in that radius as well, so probably not a valid thought if they were all there intact.
    I have a hard time imagining it in my head for movement and clearance.
    I haven’t had my DR clutch off for 5 years.

and does the primary gear spacer ? (In the circle) vary in length if you have any other samples with manufacturing or age.
    Likewise the washers in there as well. Could old ones cause a tolerance difference.
    I can’t see all the springs in the pick but I presume they were all there.
    curious more than anything, was it deterioration or an instant failure caught just after the fact.

07974BB1-3A5F-41A0-AEED-5ECBDF9884E5.jpeg

the old Suzuki efe ‘s ive had were known to have clutch rattle problems and sometimes the backing plate flogging out and failing adjacent to rivets, and springs rattling was the cause of that, eventually leading to a failure.
    If you had a slight rattle at idle, it needed to be fixed pronto.

Some would replace and weld the rivets back on with heavy duty springs and rivets.
    Common enough they sell kits with heavy duty springs and rivets for the fix.
    End up looking like this.

C82E037C-A2D9-4FBE-82E7-4987B01F12AF.jpeg

your Dr one and the broke one from your pic I’m guessing.
    Similar in design maybe.?
    Maybe not installed / riveted on way back in the day at the Suzuki DR factory perhaps.
    The extra power of the efe’s and that so many ended up in HP drag bikes sped up the problem.
    Wasn’t a as common if left stock or not thrashed, but that’s the whole point of an EFE engine. great in a straight line.

I know I’m explaining badly. Just random thoughts.

BFE2A806-377A-4AE1-8930-C8EBAA41A8C3.jpeg
    JagLite, drhippie2 and BergDonk like this.
  20. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    1st arrow, the baffle plate was there, but has a bit of a gouge in it too. All the washers and bushing were there and look good.

The 2nd arrow, those rivets ground down and most likely y=the source of the swarf and paste. Both hubs are the same, just the one on the left is still intact. All springs are there, just not all visible in the pic.

:freaky
    JagLite and Nogoodnamesleft like this.