BergDonk's DR650s

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by BergDonk, Dec 20, 2010.

1. JagLite

JagLite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Oh, man! All the cool tools... :jkam
    BergDonk and JRowland like this.
  2. BergDonk

BergDonk Old Enough to Know Better

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

I got out on Sunday afternoon on HE650RS to see if the changes I made to the forks were beneficial. Tried it on a few small jumps, hit a few logs and ruts before I got out the gate and it was promising, so up the hill and back down to bed the new brake pads, then out around some back roads and tracks. Potholes and corrugations came and went and no downside. One new spring only, with a lot of preload, and more oil and a tad more preload in the other side. Less brake dive, more compliance, no bottoming, and no downside that I felt. Happy!

For locals, pic is on Ironmungie Rd, looking westish at the main range, with the Snowy River down over the drop. A smoke plume is right on the horizon, just to the right of centre, presumably an HR burn, maybe Snowy Plain way, but nothing on the fire maps.
  3. bunkmuffin

bunkmuffin Bunkmuffin

Oddometer:
    Oshawa Ontario The original home of General Motors
    This is very typical of some American companies because filling out an additional piece of paper for customs is beyond their capability.
    God Bless America and NOBODY ELSE.
  4. bunkmuffin

bunkmuffin Bunkmuffin

Oddometer:
    Oshawa Ontario The original home of General Motors
    On May 3 I ordered parts from Cogent racing and they shipped them that day. From North Carolina to Miami for a 3 1/2 "vacation" No movement then it took 2 days to move 20 miles north to Ft. Lauderdale where it sat for 4 days. USPS says it's on it's way but they don't tell me where it's headed and I haven't heard from their tracking since 1 June.
    USPS is the worst.
    joenuclear likes this.
  5. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    The fork seal I replaced awhile back on HE650RS leaked too, so as there was no apparent damage to the inner tube, I figured the bushes needed replacing, even though they seemed OK by feel. I ordered some new seals and bushes and in the meantime, remembered I had a spare set of forks stored away that I'd picked up on the flea market. So the plan was revised to swap the guts over, as the spare leg showed no evidence of any weeping, and keep the new bits for another day.

After installing the fork leg after the cartridgeasectomy it became apparent it was a bit longer than the other leg in the bike, the axle wouldn't line up, hmmmm :hmmmmm

Figured something hadn't seated properly, so I pulled it down again, and then back together paying even closer attention, and it was still 5 mm or so too long :loco

More thought and a phone call chasing possibilities and [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'd put the the nut on the top of the damper rod on upside down :baldy

There's a shoulder inside and the thread is barely more than half the length of the nut, so when its on the wrong way, it doesn't thread down far enough and the damper rod ends up longer, and then so does the fork.
    A 1 hour job or less took the afternoon :becca
  6. Sonny S.

Sonny S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    At work I'm fixing stuff all day and it's often a race for time.
    When I'm tinkering with my bikes, sure I want everything to go smoothly, but when it takes me all day to do simple tasks I'm still in my happy place :-)
  7. Kernel

Kernel Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ear
    Precis likes this.
  8. BergDonk

Oddometer:
    Not much happening with the DRs, just the occasional ride. Spent a large part of the last 6 months helping my uncle downsize his house, and unfortunately he's now in care for a couple of weeks and we're not sure how long it'll be ongoing. Dementia among other things is a bastard. The boss and I are his guardians and attorneys which we were able to sort before he got too bad. Its accelerated over the last weeks to the point he can no longer be left alone to look after himself, and we can't be there full time.

[​IMG]

In between I did make up a new brace for the oil cooler air scoop. The scoop makes a real difference to temps as mentioned above. The new brace is a bit of steel bar replacing the aluminium angle that fatigue fractured. It did last over 30k kms though. The 790 build now has a bit over 30k kms on it, and the oil cooler stuff predates that, so maybe 35k kms.

[​IMG]

As I may have mentioned, my wife has more or less retired from riding, and with my FE650 sold :(, I decided to lightly adventurise her KLX, make it more comfy for me, and tweak its performance a bit too. Bigger tank, Barrett mid pipe and muffler adapted to the Staintune header with a DR bit, TM33 pumper carb, boosted seat with DR foam, relocated bars, heated grips, GPS mount, voltmeter, lowered rearset pegs, LED headlight and a full house Cogent suspension; top of the range shock and full set of fork guts. It'll become my 'trail' bike and sometime ADV bike, and I can swap seats back to make it OK for her or #1 daughter if either wants. Been fun, nearly done, maybe, and the TM33 has really woken it up. I've been posting updates over on the KLX thread, https://advrider.com/f/search/82566458/ I knew it was a good bike, and has been since I acquired it for her 2006 Christmas pressy, but didn't fully appreciate what was hidden and how good it really is.

We're planning a trip west next year via the Anne Beadell Highway; https://www.google.com/search?client=opera&q=Anne+Beadell+Highway&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8 Not sure yet how it'll play out, but its on the radar.
    Kiwi Mo, drhippie2, JagLite and 7 others like this.