Berkshire Big Adventure 5/23 Dual Sport

Discussion in 'Northeast - Greater Flugistan and home of the carp' started by trailhound68, Feb 5, 2010.

1. trailhound68

trailhound68 Digger

Oddometer:
    The annual Dual Sport formerly known as the BTR 3 State Dual Sport is under "new management" and will be held again this spring at the same location in New Boston, MA. Again the ride will attempt to cater to big twins and doubles and will incorporate as many dirt roads as possible in and around The Berkshires. I will be organizing this event with the help of numerous Berkshire Trailriders Assoc members, some of whom you may be already familiar with. The event will continue the tradition of giving, as a portion of the proceeds will be donated to local Volunteer Fire and Ambulance organizations. I hope to be able to chart out approx 150 miles or more of dirt and paved roads, some hero sections will be incorporated. We hope to have camping available at a location close to the start, those details are being worked on, any suggestions are encouraged. I hope to have a lunch stop mid-route a a remote location in the hills.
    This being my first dual sport, will utilize public roads fit for GS's, Strom's even Doubles. Hero sections will be limited to DR's, KLR's, SXC's and the like. This will not be the most challenging event. If you show up on your EXC, you may find this a long, boring event. However, if your looking for a challenge, check any one of our club's other events at mudslinger.org. There you will also find the toughest Enduro around, plus Hare Scramble, Junior Enduro and a two day Turkey Run this fall that's sure to test your will and ability.
    Big thanks to Vince and BTR Volunteers for starting a great tradition. Hope to see you on a sunny warm May day at Tucker's Pub in downtown beautiful New Boston.......Digger.
  2. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    107 days to go.
  3. GOT DIRT?

GOT DIRT? Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    If it is a sunny warm day it won't be our event. It has to start out gloomy and grey and get better from there,to be a BTR ride.:D

Jeff
  4. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:

+1 I was gonna make a similar comment. :D

Looking forward to this event as always. Sounds like the perfect event for my DR650.
  5. DiscoDino

DiscoDino Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in too!
  6. Joebmetro

Joebmetro 18 Husky 701E Supporter

Oddometer:
    Froze my ass off last year, thank god for the heated grips.

This year I've got the heated liner standing by and I can actualy read the route chart thanks to Bob sadowski's magnified route sheet holder.

Looking foward to this event.

Would like to stay at the same campground with everyone provided they have room for my Toyhauler.
  7. BushwickKLR

BushwickKLR Long timer

Oddometer:
    This will be my first ride with you guys. I'm looking forward to this.
  8. PackMule

PackMule love what you do

Oddometer:

I really had a blast on the 800GS last year. I know you guys on the smaller bikes were pining for more technical terrain (who ever thought you'd come to that!), but even the paved stuff was fun on the 8.

:wave
  9. Lil' Steve

Lil' Steve PussyWagon™ Chauffeur Supporter

Oddometer:

If it's a bicycle ride this year I'm still gonna have fun with it! :wave
  10. Research Rat

Research Rat thrasher

Oddometer:
    If possible, it might be helpful to offer a separate map connecting the hero sections for the technical off road crowd?

This way, those interested in only riding off road can navigate to and through the true off road sections with minimal slab riding.

-Scott
  11. RTLLTR

RTLLTR RotoTiller!

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to more info on this one:clap
  12. Joebmetro

Joebmetro 18 Husky 701E Supporter

Oddometer:
    as i remember last year they lost aalot of the trail sections because ice storms closed some of the forests, hope to see more dirt this year
  13. Research Rat

Research Rat thrasher

Oddometer:
    Joe-this is correct. Mother Nature dealt the club a bad hand, but kudos to the club for powering through.

The offroad sections that we did ride were simply great.

I can't believe that first hero section was a "road." :)

-Scott

14. Rusty Rocket

Rusty Rocket Life behind "Bars"

Oddometer:
    That's right. Two areas that we typically use were flattened by the ice storm in Dec. It looked like a massive plate was forced down on the area breaking every tree. The club spent most of the season, every Thursday night, having work parties to clear the trails for our Turkey Run and Enduro.

This year we deserve a break. Good weather and little trail work to be able to have everything open for the participants. Be sure to attend.:1drink
  15. BBQer

BBQer Who Me Supporter

Oddometer:
    So we called Friday to reserve the same cabins at Prospect Mt that we have stayed in for the last 4 years, already taken :huh
    Before to resign ourselves to tenting it anybody have any other recommendations?
  16. IRONIVAR

IRONIVAR how bad could it be?? Supporter

Oddometer:
    are we going to be able to use a gps or route sheet only ??
    either way is good with me . :D
    seems joe b is kind enough to make some room for me and the 990:freaky
  17. sjc56

sjc56 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope to make it this year.
  18. Looksgoodinblack

Looksgoodinblack Long timer

Oddometer:

Trailering the 990? How about riding it up there? I'm game for a ride on the wee there and back.
  19. waspp

waspp Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may check this out as well, not to far from home and hey I'll try some of those hero sections on the pd!. Where does the route take you and do you end up back in new boston?

Hal
  20. trailhound68

trailhound68 Digger

Oddometer:
    The route will mainly meander through Berkshire County with a few exceptions. You will be routed back to where you started.
    We may incorporate some coordinates for the GPSers. That shouldn't be too difficult, unless you're like me and you don't own one!?!? Yet.
    We are working on a place to camp close to the start, YTBD.