Best aftermarket winshield for Super Tenere?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by His Pistolship, Feb 24, 2012.

1. Wasp

Wasp Supa10 pilot

Oddometer:
    I genuinely believe the best windscreen is the one that was delivered with the bike - Matted with a MotorradWorks windscreen adjuster kit. http://www.motorradgarage.com.au/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=106_247&products_id=1191 (deduct 10% for export) then add shipping. Email info@motorradgarage.com.au for quote.

This was the first kit available for this bike and is still the best and most adjustable kit out there.
    This gives you 10 different screens in one. Dakar style and high to really lift the wind above. Low and laid back slightly for summer dayz riding. Low and standard for off-road safety, Up high and slight lean for highway cruising. + + +

Greg.
  2. scottie boy

scottie boy Homebrew Guru

Oddometer:
    Personally, I did not care for the Parabellum. For me, it was like sitting in a pocket of calm quiet air with a midget tap dancing on my helmet. Plus, the issue of the handguards hitting the screen. As of now, I'm back to the stock screen with the OEM wind deflectors. It doesn't provide the most protection but I don't get any turbulence either. I would much rather get hit with lots of clean air than have protection and helmet buffeting.
    bruinADVguy likes this.
  3. sallydog

sallydog https://sallydog.smugmug.com/Pets/LD-Travel/

Oddometer:
    what do you cut one of these windscreens with?
  4. advD

advD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Givi along with the Yamaha "side deflectors" I am 6' 6" tall. I don't have any buffeting but I do get air. For me, it's perfect.

I don't use a third party internet photo service, or I'd post a nice photo (I hate how you can't just insert images here anymore).
  5. scottie boy

scottie boy Homebrew Guru

Oddometer:
    I trimmed mine using a mini-circular blade with my high speed rotary tool. I then smoothed the edges using a fine grinding disk.
  6. marklawrence

marklawrence Adventurer

Oddometer:
    And this is why I dislike handguards. They don't keep your hands warm; those little plastic thingies won't protect you in the woods; and they leave me a choice: design a windshield with compromised wind protection for everyone to allow for the stupid hand guards, or do what Parabellum did, make decent wind protection, but interfere with the stupid hand guards. Which hand guards, remember, don't do anything useful. It's like a 4wd SUV in LA.
  7. AndreiZ

AndreiZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I received and installed the XTall Parabellum windshield. On the lower setting it doesn't interfere with the hand guards but..it makes contact with the signals. On the upper setup the hand guards are touching the windshield, a 2-3 cm cut in the windshield is needed to keep clear of the hand guards. Comfort speaking, the wind noise is (very) present, I managed to find a position by inserting spacers, which resulted in tilting the windshild, to minimize the buffeting at helmet level but it was not what I had expected, the calm air pocket for long trips. I will make some more test to see if I can find a better position for the windshield. :)
  8. sallydog

Oddometer:
    what size parabellum did you have? how tall are you?
  9. AndreiZ

AndreiZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Beeing 6'4" (193 cm) I installed the XtraTall size Parabellum. I'm going to order am adjustable windshield mount. It's my 5th atempt to obtain the comfort required for long distance touring :)
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    yep angle adjustment is the key from your mount or madstad's.

you gotta give mark @ madstad credit where it's due as he was the first to come up with this concept on his vstrom mount way back when.
    now i see his same idea produced by several throughout the world.
    i do like the quality of your one.
  11. AndreiZ

AndreiZ Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I already talked to Petra about this, it's out of stock for a few weeks, so I have to
    wait. I'll post a review after I will install it.
  12. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    Installed the Madstad bracket and his 20" screen last week. It perfect, no wind on the helmet from 0 to 105+ mph.
    Mark is a very nice guy, builds a grate product, and his customer support is without equal. This is the third bike that I've "fixed" with the Madstad solution. :clap :clap :clap

I'm 5'11 with a 31 inseam.

I suggest ya stop searching for the perfect windscreen and start with the bracket, perhaps your stock screen with the bracket will do the trick for ya..

Regards, Paul
  13. Arktus

Arktus on XTzy!

Oddometer:
    I have the givi airflow. The S10 now looks like an alienqueen :lol3, but it is the best windshield i ever had on a bke. No buffetting with my hornet ds. No need to close the visor anymore (xept heavy rain). It is adjustable and you can remove the upper part easily.

Greetz

Arktus
  14. StuWG

StuWG n00b

Oddometer:
    Hey Guys,

One question, why is the Yamaha tall screen so bad? I was gonna order one tomorrow....

Stu
  15. sallydog

Oddometer:
    the wind deflector sure make a nice difference
  16. avc8130

avc8130 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been considering the CalSci shorty. I just miss the wind flow from my naked sport bikes too much. I figure it might make a great summer screen.

ac
  17. CafeRacer99

CafeRacer99 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I put a short screen on and it's working out great for the hot weather. I'm also coming from naked bikes so I'm used to being in the air too.
  18. calan818

calan818 The CarMexican

Oddometer:
    What is wrong with the tall Yamaha screen?
  19. wolftrax

wolftrax Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here, here! I just recently went from the Parabellum to the stock screen with the Madstad. The Parabellum is to good and just doesn't let enough air flow to the rider. The Madstad allows for infinite adjustment. Great product.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mark
  20. MtnTrailRider

MtnTrailRider Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a 2013 Super Tenere with a stock windscreen. I am 5'8" and like all riders who have this bike get sick of wind buffeting the top of my helmet and knocking my head all around.

After reading many posts about both the Touratech adjustable bracket and the Madstad adjustable bracket I decided to go with the Madstad because of the simplicity of having only 2 adjustment knobs that I don't need pliers to tighten down to make secure. What is the point of adjusting it if you need tools to make it stay?

My riding buddy also has a 2013 Super Tenere and chose to go the route of the Touratech adjustable bracket. Before buying the Madstad I tried his out. A little raising of the windscreen and angling it forward fixes the buffeting problem. Both brackets work equally fine at reducing or eliminating the buffeting problem. This is probably why Yamaha changed the windscreen and added their own adjustable bracket to the 2014 Super Tenere.

The difference between the brackets is how they are adjusted and off-road worthiness. I can say that I have adjusted the 2 knobs of my Madstad while riding on smooth sections of highway with no problems, not that I would recommend that. The Madstad was stable up to 100 mph with no wobbling. Off-road I have never had the knobs fall off. My riding buddy with the Touratech brackets lost both 2 out of 4 adjustment knobs on a day trip we took on some forest service roads. He said he had them tight but I just think that the nature of the bracket allows them to loosen and fall off on rough roads.

Touratech needs to rethink the design of the tightening knobs for their adjustment brackets for the Super Tenere. For what they are charging for their brackets one should expect them to stay together on bumpy roads. Maybe include some longer bolts and add some larger knobs along with some lock washers. Having a loose windscreen during a trip sucks!

Kudos to Madstad's bracket and design. Riding is much more enjoyable now with the wind buffeting eliminated.