Best aftermarket winshield for Super Tenere?

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by His Pistolship, Feb 24, 2012.

1. RonKZ650

RonKZ650 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have a 2012 and have no problem with buffeting using the stock shield and it's not so damn ugly as some of them people add. My gosh, I see pictures, and don't care if the Tenere turns into a Cadillac, I could never run those ugly shields. Factory shield with adjustment still looksgood on the 2014/15. All aftermarket for any years looks like aftermarket trash to me. I never understand why trash is desired by most.
    AUS CRUZER likes this.
  2. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Any thoughts on an aftermarket screen for the 2014-15? At $200 plus shipping, it would be nice to get it right the first time.
    Maybe even a laminar lip or something similar.
  3. LJM

LJM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've got the the Yamaha touring with winglets ordered it will be on my bike next Wendsdsy and I'll post up review. If it dosnt work the ill try the mastad brackets
    There are so many choices and opinions Im trying the Yamaha one 1st and if it sucks I'll see if I can return it.
  4. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's a shame that Yamaha doesn't have access to a wind tunnel.
    Madman4049 and WVhillbilly like this.
  5. MooseisLoose

MooseisLoose Explorer

Oddometer:
    Im prob going to be picking up a new s10 in the coming weeks. On my current bike, tiger 1050 oem screen, i added a mra x-creen spoiler. It made a huge difference but not perfect.
    Has anyone added the mra x-creen spoiler to their oem wind screen? What are your thoughts? (I guess ill find out once i get my s10
  6. TierHawg

TierHawg Herder of the J-Cats

Oddometer:
    Ron, I would agree with you on this. But, I now find myself looking for a new screen. :cry

My stock screen on the '12 was perfect for me. The air came off of it and hit the crown of my helmet, an old Shoei RF1000. I could ride all day long and have the visor up and enjoy myself. The problem was my old Shoei was about 7 years old, and I replaced it with a NIB RF1100.

Something is different on the new Shoei RF1100. My head is buffeted around enough to be annoying. I still ride with the visor open, but long rides now suck. My other helmet is a Shoei Hornet DS. It doesn't buffet around like the RF1100, but riding with the visor open directs the airflow into my face, not over the top of the helmet. It is actually more comfortable to use the Hornet than the RF1100 on long rides.
  7. SpeedyG942

SpeedyG942 Gas Man

Oddometer:
    From reading I gathered the folks at Yamaha did not recommend putting the stock screen in the "high position" on the stock brackets.....but that was my solution of choice. This was free, took only a screwdriver and a few minutes to relocate the screws and grommets. The gap that opened up at base (near headlight) has not bothered me in any way. I'm 5'10". After this adjustment I considered my needs solved.
  8. grouseridge

grouseridge n00b

Oddometer:
    At 6' 3" I went with the 22" Parabellum, madstad and Cee Bailys wing wings. The Madstad lowers enough for air to the helmet in summer and even on the lowest setting no buffeting and on the highest setting with the Cee Bailys wings keeps the air off enough for comfortable ridding in 35 degree weather.
  9. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You hit on an excellent point. Buffeting isn't just a windscreen issue, but a helmet issue as well.

Until I damaged my Shoei Neotec, I used the Yamaha touring screen with Madstad brackets and Yamaha winglets on my '13, and it worked great. Now I'm using a Shark Explore-R helmet (love the versatility of it, by the way) and I'm back to using the stock Yamaha screen rather than the touring one. The Shark with the peak in place seems to work better with the airflow of the stock screen better, but with the peak gone and the visor on, the Shark works better with the taller touring screen.

So in the end, the best windscreen for one person might not work well for another person, because of helmet choice (and height).
  10. LJM

LJM Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nothing !!! I just installed the tall Yamaha one and it works really well the winglets didn't come in so I just road tested it without them. I'm 5' 10 32" inseam and was wearing a Schuberth C3 Pro. The stock screen to me was a joke almost worthless. With tall screen there is absolutely no buffeting I was riding up to 85mph, I can still see over the top of it in high postion and still got enough air that I'm sure it will be fine on hot days. Tomorrow I'm gonna test it out with an Arai full face & the Arai dual purpose lid. Ill post up again when winglets arrive. I'm pretty spoiled coming of a 2009 BWW RT which had fantastic wind protection so my bar for a windscreen is set pretty high.
  11. No False Enthusiasm

No False Enthusiasm a quiet adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Rode my '13 S10 for 2000 miles of buffeting with the stock screen wearing a Qwest.

Added a Madstad with their 20 inch screen and Yammy wings. Better, but have not yet found the sweet spot of adjustment. Even with ear plugs, am getting a drumming...

Used a Madstad and screen on a Wee with excellent results. Hoping to get back to that level of comfort. On the Wee, I could open the visor at any speed and be uncomfortable.

NFE
  12. Spaggy

Spaggy Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1 on the helmet. I have an Arai XD-3. Took the visor off and it took a lot of the buffeting away. Time for a new helmet anyway, any suggestions?
  13. Harry Dresden PI

Harry Dresden PI Daisy The JRT at 8 weeks

Oddometer:
    On my 2014 S10 ES (Rider 6'3" inseam 32" frame 290 lbs)

Today visited Madstad Factory and owner (Mark) traded out my Yamaha OEM tall screen for a Madstad bracket with the (+ 1 inch Large) Madstad windscreen. I kept the Yamaha OEM winglet already installed before the above changes.

Today my return 130 mile ride, with the above changes, confirmed massive wind bug protection improvement as well as overall wind noise reduction.

Madstad can cut windscreens larger than the ones posted on their web site.

Just call them and ask.

Will re post after a month or so to report on rain and longer term use.