Best Amazon / Ebay finds/purchases... GO!

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Advadvadv, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Advadvadv

Advadvadv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am looking to see what all you guys have been pleasantly surprised by. Post things you have purchased that you feel like are great deals, or things you have bought and repouposed for adv riding.
    Midwesttrekker likes this.
  2. nixter

nixter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The $99 MSR dual sport boots and Alterra jacket were the steal of the century from IronPony on Amazon but I doubt there's any left.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    eddie bolted and Advadvadv like this.
  3. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    datleeman, fyc, brianpc and 1 other person like this.
  4. Shawnee Bill

Shawnee Bill Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:

The boots show as still being in stock but at $115. Still a great deal, I bought 1 pair of size 11.

Thanks for posting this!
    Advadvadv and nixter like this.
  5. Advadvadv

Advadvadv Adventurer

Oddometer:

There are some brown ones on mamazon left for $115, same as what's on revzilla for $225

I think I might buy them if you really think that the are that great. I need a pair of boots.

I hate buying shoes online.

But whatever.
    nixter likes this.
  6. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    I watched the Revzilla video about these boots, then went and checked what size boots I've been wearing and ordered.

Revzilla is showing out of stock in all sizes.

I'm thinking Amazon has real good return policies and MSR is good stuff so I took the chance..
    Advadvadv likes this.
  7. Advadvadv

Advadvadv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I jumped on the band wagon and bought a pair of those boots too. Thanks for the post.
    nixter likes this.
  8. ArmyStrong

ArmyStrong 6F

Oddometer:
    KUMEED Universal Rotating Motor X-Grip Clamp Mount Bike Phone Holder with USB Charging Port Black

As good as ram mount X grip (appears to be exact clone) and only costs $21.99 I actually cut off the USB cord but it can be hard wired and has a switch to activate a USB port integrated in the mount. Comes with several mounting rings too. Easy install on my 2014 R1200GSA handlebar. Great quality.
    Masterguns and Advadvadv like this.
  9. motokeith

motokeith Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Scored an Antigravity Micro-Start Mini XP-5 for something like $60 as a one of those daily Lightening Deal things.
    MysciraMoto and Advadvadv like this.
  10. Advadvadv

Advadvadv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bonnie & Clyde likes this.
  11. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Best purchase I've made recently is the Aegismax oversized down sleeping bag. Amazing piece of kit for under $100. It packs smaller than a football, this plus a lightweight envelope bag/liner has kept me warm down to 30 degrees. For the $$, it'd be nearly impossible to find a smaller packing, more comfortable bag than this.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItemVersion&item=232272560560&view=all&tid=1448129196013

Another good buy was a Kyocera Wave waterproof android phone...nabbed a refurb for $35. Loaded it with Locus Pro, all 50 states of offline maps, and I have a Garmin-killer for under $50 that doesn't need data to do my navigating (saving my phone from abuse or being lost). Works great, nice and bright in the sunlight, too.

And, my last one was more of an experiment with an Ebay purchase, but I'll pass it on as it worked fantastic. I hate long socks like MX/baseball socks, they're hard to put on, bulky, hard to wash/dry on the road. My wife suggested trying a pair of calf sleeves like she uses for running. They're cheap, why not. Turns out this is an awesome setup for tall MC boots. You can wear shorter, lighter socks, the calf sleeves are light, breathe well, and don't get funky/dirty like your socks do. Also easy to put on, and you save some $$ over buying long socks. Great for travel.

I went up a size since I didn't want compression nearly as much as just covering my calves. Heartily recommend, I found a pair on ebay for $4 shipped.
  12. Advadvadv

Advadvadv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Another good buy was a Kyocera Wave waterproof android phone...nabbed a refurb for $35. Loaded it with Locus Pro, all 50 states of offline maps, and I have a Garmin-killer for under $50 that doesn't need data to do my navigating (saving my phone from abuse or being lost). Works great, nice and bright in the sunlight, too."

Is there a write up on how you did this exactly?

Very interested!
    Maggot12 likes this.
  13. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
  14. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Not much to write up, really....but here's what I did....

The phone comes without a sim card, none is really needed as you won't be using it for data/calls. Just put it in airplane mode and it won't look for a signal. You'll need to put it into Wifi mode, connect it with your network, and sign into a Google Account to access Google Play and download programs and map data. A 32gig MicroSD card is large enough to hold several program's mapping data (including the entire US several times over), so I added that for the offline maps. I uninstalled or deleted any extraneous apps and utilities I could, so it's running as little in the background as possible.

LocusPro is around $7 for the paid version (Well worth it). After that, the maps are easy to download....there are several sources from the free (and excellent) Mapsforge free road maps to USGS Topo, etc. If you want turn-by-turn guidance, you have to use the LocusPro versions of the Mapsforge maps which are a small fee per state, btw.

Using a capacitance screen on the bike requires either gloves with fingertips made for it or using a stylus, that's the only disadvantage I have run into, but other than that it's a great solution for mapping & navigation. Plus, with the phone being a dedicated GPS/computer, you get the advantage of running any navigation or bike-specific apps you want, and toggling between them at will. I use TomTom Go Mobile in conjunction with Locus as I like it's "To a specific address" routing much better, and I also use Ulysses Speedometer for general commuting and non-navigational duties. And, you can also keep track of fuel useage, or whatever other handy utilities you want to run.

Some people report problems using a dedicated phone as they can overheat if idle in the direct sun, so that could be a concern but mine hasn't had any problems, pretty much any airflow keeps them running ok....it's also small, light and easy to remove when not on the bike so in the pocket it goes at stops. One thing I recommend if you go this route and have it plugged into a 12v charger is to shield the micro-USB plug/port with something to stop excessive vibration. I like a little glob of Handi-Tack poster hanging material from the dollar store wrapped around where it meets the phone. Keeps it secure, clean, and it's cheap & easy.

I use a RAM mount like this to attach it, very secure and easy to get in/out.
    [​IMG]

Be happy to answer any specific questions.
    MysciraMoto and Advadvadv like this.
  15. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Advadvadv likes this.
  16. Advadvadv

Advadvadv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    IMG_0393.JPG IMG_0395.JPG Boots arrived today!!! They are the shi - t for $115

Very comfy and quite nice. They totally 100% look and feel like $300-400 boots.

I usually wear an 11.5 and I went with the 12 fits perfect.
  17. Advadvadv

Advadvadv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @swingset Thanks for the write up. Apreaciate the info!
  18. Shawnee Bill

Oddometer:
    Hey, I ordered my boots first and tracking tells me I won't get them until next week sometime! :dirtdog

But it's good to know they are good boots!
    nixter and Advadvadv like this.
  19. Advadvadv

Advadvadv Adventurer

Oddometer:
    @Shawnee Bill The boots ship from Ohio and I live in Ohio so that's why I got them quick.
  20. nixter

nixter Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I like that they look pretty cool in a retro way too. Sole is also replaceable

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk
    prays4u likes this.