Best applications for trip planning

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by moto_lover, Aug 28, 2019.

1. moto_lover

moto_lover n00b

Oddometer:
    Hello!

I am a newbie here who recently discovered the love for riding. As I searched the forum, it seemed like there are no posts specifically regarding the topic I wanted to talk about or these posts are already old. So I wanted to know what are your favorite websites or applications for planning your trips? Not only the routes, but also with an option to see some motorcycle friendly accommodations, places to visit, cafes, bars or that kind of stuff. I would like to hear different experiences.
  2. Suncoaster

Suncoaster Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Where the girls are green and the grass is pretty.
    Hi and Welcome

Good question. It depends on the trip.

For research, advrider, wikipedia and tripadvisor.
    For mapping, paper maps, mappite.org, Osmand, Google maps, Australia topo maps app, transaustraliatrail.com.au, and state map sites.
    For flights and bookings, Tripit and google calendar.
    For booking, booking.com, agoda and airbnb.
    For camping in OZ, youcamp, NSW Parks and Wildlife, and campermate.

Location specific tourist information agencies, many localities have a dedicated app.

Finding good coffee: Beanhunter

Currently testing izi.travel (audioguides) and route.id
    moto_lover likes this.
  3. AlfromNH

AlfromNH Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I like furkot.com
    Traxx and moto_lover like this.
  4. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm in Europe too, so this should work if that is where you are thinking of riding/exploring.
    Via Michelin.com scalable maps as per Michelin, but scalable. Zoomed right in, you get every street name, unlike the approcimation you get with google.
    Route panning option.
    All the expected hotels and restaurants, but with far more lower cost options - not just stared* but the Recommended and Bib options, down to the occasional piazzaria and ethnic food. Places that have a basic plat du Jour for €15, to the full on €300 each, should you be so lucky.
    Open the app, enter Murs84 under the restaurant tab, Murs is a tiny village in southern France and you get 150 places, from lots to reaonable. starting close by, to 20kms or as far as you are prepared to travel. Same everywhere else they do the guides.
    Traffic, as if you'll use roads with traffic...
    Weather, well we all use that don't we.
    POI - the usual fuel and workshop stuff, with lots of monuments and memorials and cultural stuff. Michelin used to have a pretty good guide to campsites too, even printed them on their atlases and maps back in the day. They don't do that any more, maybe they kept/updated the info for this.
    Probably lots more I haven't even looked at.

Booking.com has a comprehensive range of accomodation, from swanky hotels to B&B's. Best bit is that they have places out of town, even deeply rural.

Kurviger.de is a route finder, based on using back roads and finding you twisty roads.
    Works OK, but.... Like every piece of software doing this, it is only an algorithm, not someone's hard won and explored list. They all make assumptions and mistakes and are never guaranteed to to pick the "best" roads to anywhere. This is not a criticism of Kurviger.de - which I do use, because it is very eaasy - but a problem with any software doing the same/similar job.
    Last week, I got directed through the back streets of the city 30 miles away because it happened to be there. No human would have ever chosen that route. Neither did I.

Rather than google maps, which is fairly chronic with its representation of the terrain, especially in mountainous areas, have a look at OSM or Open Street Maps.org. Much better mapping, which is improved by locals refining and correcting. Only downside, no streetview.

All these fit on your phone which will have gps built in. You can download an app like CoPilot which will work on your phone and give turn by turn navigation without needing a cell signal - all maps are in your phone.
    These work well for the last few miles of your journey, especially if you are city bound. Again never assume they are infallible, C-P insisted I go into a supermarket to find a hotel, when the place I wanted was a couple of hundred yards away, but invisible from road level.

All of the above are free to use, except I paid a $5 upgrade for CoPilot... pro? expert? clueless? can't remember.

I find having a decent paper map gives a strategic view of where you are and where you may want to go. And includes all the places in between that you can avoid or include, or late in the day, take short cuts either forwards or back. Or go elsewhere entirely.
    Suncoaster and moto_lover like this.
  5. moto_lover

moto_lover n00b

Oddometer:
    Thank you a lot! I already use tripadvisor, booking and airbnb because of previous travels, but you also mentioned a lot of new options for me, great! And thanks for the good coffee finding option, it is necessary!!
  6. moto_lover

moto_lover n00b

Oddometer:
    Wow, this is a lot and very detailed, thank you a lot! Seems like I should make a file where to write everything down. The tip about paper maps is also interesting, as I am so used to having everything online. Could be an interesting challenge!
  7. moto_lover

moto_lover n00b

Oddometer:
    And how about finding some motorcycle related events, parades, gatherings etc.? Maybe someone knows something else besides searching for events on facebook?

Just yesterday I talked about this with my friend and he suggested me IdeasMotors application. I checked it out and seems like it shows different motorcycle events in Europe and USA as well, and also some motorcycle friendly places. I think I will be testing this one out. Maybe there is something similar as well?
  8. nickguzzi

nickguzzi Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm too old to bother going to most bike centric gatherings other than the odd vintage/classic bike meet.
    The two I sort of have in the back of my mind are what was called the BMF, held early summer in Peterborough, which is nearby. Lots of trade and different bike clubs, so if I need bike stuff not in a hurry, then I can wait for that.
    And the mostly Harley gathering at Ambert in the Auvergne. I was just doing my usual bimble along and stumbled upon that, and some guys dragged us into a bar and forced us to drink and eat.

Keep trying with a map, it puts you in control and you can change your mind on a whim.
    moto_lover likes this.
  9. Cannonshot

Cannonshot Having a Nice Time Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Searching for ride reports that are in the areas you want to travel can be very helpful. Some posters go to a lot of trouble to post maps, points of interest, restaurants, lodging, and the like in their reports in an effort to help the next riders plan a trip of their own.