Best AT road tires for a Ford E250 extended motovan

Discussion in 'Adventure On Four Wheels' started by Bouldermoto, Jan 25, 2021.

1. Bouldermoto

Bouldermoto Flogger

Oddometer:
    Been running BFG AT 245/75/16's on the creeper van for years. I'm looking for something a little more Highway friendly and figure this is a great place for beta when it comes to a moto van.

Without killing my manhood here I'd say I drive 80/20 in the van, the 20 mostly baja or eastside of Sierra and in the winter I drive a bunch in the mountains to go skiing. So I am looking for a good road tire with good snow grip more than a mudder like the BFG's.

Basically the van gets me where I need to leave the road on two wheels or on the sled and skis. What are your thoughts on a good balance for a tire and one that comes in my size listed above.

thanks for the feedback.

Attached Files:

2. Vacman

Vacman Some call me...Tim?

Oddometer:
    Falken Wildpeak is a great, 3 snowflake rated tire. It's an OEM offering on a lot of vehicles now. Quiet on the freeway but pretty capable offroad and definitely in the wet/snow. I put a set on our Sequoia and had no complaints.
  3. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Cooper Discoverer at3 LT. Fantastic on wet pavement or dry. Decent off road traction. Wears well and quiet on the road.

They make 3 variants, with the LT being in the middle. Still load range E - index 120. I have the heavier XLT version, but they don't make it in your size. There's a lighter one, but you don't want it for your 3/4 ton van.
    Rogue_Ryder likes this.
  4. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    We have a Transit, not an E250, but I highly recommend the Yokohama Geolander A/T G015. We've been running them for about 2 years, and love them. Very quiet for an AT tire (although not a very aggressive tread design), and they have the 3 snowflake rating as well. Load Range E.

Transits are notorious for getting stuck on wet grass with the OEM tires... well I've had these on wet grass, mud, and snow, and haven't gotten stuck yet (knock on wood).

20191226_131635.jpg
  5. GulfCoast

GulfCoast formerly SWLAStrom

Oddometer:
    FYI, check WalMart for Cooper Discoverer A/T...not sure of the load rating you need but they have a LT 111 rated tire for $104 with 60,000 mile warranty.
  6. Motomedic

Motomedic Over-caffeinated Raconteur Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've got the Cooper Discoverer ATPs on my Land Cruiser. I wouldn't buy them again. I like Coopers, but the Discoverer M +S was a much better winter tire, and still went 30k+ miles, with quite a few loaded road trips in summer.
  7. acesandeights

acesandeights Noob

Oddometer:
    BFG AT/KO2

I know, I know, you run them now. There isn't anything better, so just buy new ones and be done with it.
  8. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    BFG AT/KO2 is what I’ve been running on my 2002 Econoline E350 van (standard length body) for the past two years. Engine is the 5.4 and it had a very difficult time pulling steep hills in either drive or overdrive with the stock sized 245/75-16. I installed smaller 225/75-16 and if gave me a lot more power! I also got a boost in fuel economy since I don’t have to mash the gas pedal as hard to claw my way up hills or headwinds.

Here’s a quick pic of my motovan
    5E8EB3A3-04B7-413F-98E8-0795CFC07A2E.jpeg
    Eddieb likes this.
  9. avocadofarmer

avocadofarmer Fruit Coot

Oddometer:
    While smaller tires effectively increase the gear ratio (thus giving the powertrain increased 'leverage' over the vehicle) they will also throw off your speedo. So your odometer will be overestimating your distance, making any mileage calcs optimistic.
    Bearded Hooligan and JustKip like this.
  10. NevadaNick

NevadaNick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have Cooper at3 on my pickup and they are horrible in the snow and ice, BFG’s are just as bad. For a highway tire the Michelin Defenders are hard to beat and work great in the snow. If you run on crappy dirt roads the i would use a Toyo at.
  11. Strong Bad

Strong Bad Former World's Foremost Authority Supporter

Oddometer:
    I too like Michelin Defenders with the qualifier that 99% of my off pavement is in Baja and on forest service roads. Not a good mud tire, but so much smoother and quieter on the highway than the BFG TA /KO2 and wears better too!
  12. Bt10

Bt10 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have had a few sets of (regular?) Defenders as well. I feel they lose snow grip about half way thru, but their mileage was decent. Yes, Cooper ATs never had snow grip. Thanks for the heads up on BFGs. Don't know how big they go, but firestone weathergrips are very good, even mileage rated.
  13. NevadaNick

NevadaNick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I had a set of studded Firestone Winterforce on a Toyota pickup and the snow and ice traction was great but they were quite noisy.
  14. CVAN

CVAN Polite as Fuck

Oddometer:
    I've been running Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs on all of my 4x4 vehicles for a few years now, and I've been pleased with the performance in all conditions. I ran BFG's for two decades, and I'm happy with the switch to Goodyear.
    upload_2021-2-1_8-36-23.png
  15. 1ggy

1ggy Wage Slave

Oddometer:
    ^^^Switched to duratracs on my truck a couple months ago, they work great. I don't do a lot of off roading, but I do make a trip to the county dump about once a month, and after my first trip I picked up a screw in a tire. I went to get the tire plugged, and turns out the screw hadn't made it through the steel belt. Don't have any traction problems with it after rain either even in the sloppy mud at the dump.
  16. Whodatschrome

Whodatschrome Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, that's correct. When the speedo shows that i'm going 55mph, my real speed is about 52.5-53mph. I was thinking about calibrating the speedo, but i can't justify the $400ish+ for a programmer.
  17. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Cooper ST Max is the alternative to the BFG AT KO2.
  18. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    I've owned many many AT tires over the years most recently I've had the Cooper Discover AT3s on my Truck and they were a good mix of HWY and Dirt and decent in the snow. When it came to replace them I went with Nitto TerraGrappler G2 as it was rated better and I will say it was a good tire but not worth the extra $$$ over the Coopers. The best one I've ever had for the snow was Hankook Dynapro ATM on an old F150 so they were not very wide which may have added to their greatness but Consumer Reports at the time about 6 years ago had also rated that as their #1 AT tire. With gas prices on the rise I've switched back the Highway tires couldn't pass up a near new set of Michelin XLTs for $300! (I blew out a General HT on Cane Creek Road in Moab only a mile away from the paved section! So I wouldn't recommend a Highway Terrain out there).

I haven't owned these tires, BUT I rented a Jeep in Alaska that was equipped Goodyear Wrangler AT "Adventure"; visually looking at them the first thought was "lame" but they are extremely rugged for going in remote places where getting a flat would suck e.g. 40 miles out in BFE Utah. The Jeep Rental outfit used them because they got tired of people having blowouts with the stock Jeep tires. Might be a great option for a Van that sees use on rough roads.
    [​IMG]
  19. SRTie4k

SRTie4k Northeast Explorer

Oddometer:
    Also a fan of Duratracs, had a set on both Jeeps I had and they wear like iron (can get ~40-50k miles out of a set), grip well in most terrain, including slush/snow, and aren't super loud.
  20. Yooper_Bob

Yooper_Bob Insert witty saying here....

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Falkens..... excellent tires!