Best bang for the buck side soft bags

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by sajor, Aug 16, 2018.

1. sajor

sajor Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I been debating whether to get hard panniers or soft side bags and for now i think i will go with soft bags as they are much lighter, some are very resistant against the elements, on a fall they wont bend or break. 2yrs ago i purchased these nelson rigs 30l soft bags, I purchased them because they where big and the name brand but after just a couple outings the upper stitching came apart (currently holding with gorilla tape), luckily its on the top part of the bag as when using i just use a zip tie so it wont rip further when moving.

Now im looking for something around the same size of my current bags , water proof and heavy duty resistant to the elements, i was looking at wolfman side bags but seems because of its name and possibly its reputation the price is higher than other soft bags, what soft bags do you all suggest.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AC6XRDE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
  2. KayDubbya

KayDubbya Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m running the Mosko Moto Reckless 80. Waterproof, heavy duty, resistant to the elements. Checks all your boxes, though they’re not cheap. They truly are bomber construction. If you don’t want the added expense of a rack, the cost may we’ll be worth it compared to cheaper bags that need a rack and then fall apart after heavy use.
    mutt550 and bomber60015 like this.
  3. flei

flei cycletherapist

Oddometer:
    not exactly on topic, but you should contact Nelson Rigg about the bags failing; the company is known to have very good customer service and follow-up care. I suspect they will try to make things right by you.
    Snake Oiler and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  4. Aircooled6racer

Aircooled6racer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I like my Giant Loop roll top Great Basin bag setup. Easy on and off and it comes with dry bags that you can load up the way you want. It only has 5 straps and off it comes. The empty bag does not weight very much and can be stored easily when folded. I forgot to add they are also made in the USA.
    Helibee likes this.
  5. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the Dryspec D20s are worth a look in terms of bang for the buck factor. Here is a review I have started to write for the DR650 thread but not yet posted. I'll polish this up a bit and post there later, but posting a draft here because you're asking now:

After a silly amount of consideration and reconsideration for some affordable, simple panniers for my DR650, I finally pulled the trigger on some Dryspec D20s. I originally bought some Wolfman Enduros, but returned them because of the ‘strap liability’ that I saw. YMMV.

[​IMG]

Then I looked heavily at Tusk Aluminum panniers and came close to buying some but a slight spill I took alone in the woods reminded me of the advice some have given about how hard bags on a dual sport can be a health liability with all of that concentrated force on a leg or ankle in a spill.

I also almost bought some Pellican cases (1430 top loaders). I liked the top-loading aspect, security they could offer and the rounded corners, but decided 15L was too little capacity for the amount I would be investing to get them operational.
    Because I have not seen a whole lot of talk about these Dryspecs on this thread (or much on ADVRider), here are a few preliminary thoughts after a few day-long rides.

[​IMG]

Function

I like how wide the opening is for loading / unloading. The 20L capacity is enough for me but not too much for day rides, but I suspect I will be missing larger capacity for longer rides and camping trips. I’ll probably just use a duffle in addition to the bag for camping gear, etc. when the time comes.

The soft yet rigid build is something I like when the bags are not fully loaded. (They are soft bags with a rigid insert that holds their shape)

I like the way they attach to the bike overall with the PMR racks keeping them away from the side plates and muffler. I attached them using ROK straps as per suggestion from PMR racks rather than the stock method. The PMR rack distorts the shape of the bag a little, cutting down on capacity a touch. I don’t think that would be an issue when really loading them up.

The fact that there are not any low straps to lose track of in the wheel / swingarm area is a real plus for me.

[​IMG]

I thought that it would be a PITA to have the over-straps on top of the seat but I barely notice them when riding. I tuck the rear strap under the seat easily.

[​IMG]

One nice thing is how easy on, easy off they are. It takes a minute to remove them and secure the ROK straps out of harm’s way without detaching the straps from the bike.

Build quality

The bags seem solidly built, all stitching is good, though I would like them more if the bottom material was made of heavier stock as they are with Wolfman drybags. I’m considering putting some kind of material in the inside bottom of the bags such as thin plastic, to help prevent blowouts from hard items being pressed too hard against the fabric. That’s probably overkill, but I am considering it.

I especially liked that these, like some others, are made here in the USA and not imported, as the Tusks would have been.

The interior has a slot to hold documents or other small items that you want to keep off the bottom.

Summary: so far so good. Definitely worth a look-see.

Attached Files:

Snake Oiler and SmittyBlackstone like this.
  6. Schmokel

Schmokel In desperate need of a nap.

Oddometer:
    Absolutely.

@NelsonRiggUSA

I had my crash last year and they hooked me up with a discount to replace them. Solid bags too. I'll always give NR a thumbs up. I've recommended them to a bunch of folks.
  7. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:

HI

I have been using the wolfman products for several seasons now on my light KTMs ( 530 and now 350 )

Bang for the buck ? ? .... these bags rock it ! ! .... Yep they cost a few $$ ...but .... they are super well made with many quality features that are subtle but very important. ...they rock quality zippers that don't jam with dust and dirt ... they use high quality thread's so their seams don't fail .... they use high quality buckles that last ect....

You will pay more than some bags ... but ... you get a well designed. ... well built bag that will take years of off road riding. ... so the cost / year ratio is very good

My wolfan bags are now Baja, moab, grand canyon, and all over Colorado tested on many trips .... they work well ... and hold up to the toughest off road riding conditions we are likely to ever encounter.

Hope that helps

Scott
    Branchbuster likes this.
  8. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
  9. Belkar

Belkar Adventurer

Oddometer:
    bomber60015 likes this.
  10. M54Ci

M54Ci Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I am a little leery about the DrySpec D20. I too did a lot of research for a bang-for-the-buck side bags. I bought the D20 for a trip to Moab earlier this summer. During the trip, the enforced strap "base" on the bag came off. It is similar to the one reported here:

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/dryspec-d106-luggage-review.1070463/

In my case, the bags shifted without the strap holding it in place, so the right bag was blasted by the hot exhaust gas for about 30 minutes before I noticed it. As a result, a quarter-sized hole was burned into the bag, melted the plastic liner along with the clothing stored in it.

I contacted the reseller by sending pictures and requested a replacement bag. The request was turned down.

I just noticed boulet has a rack to fix the DrySpec D20 onto this DR, I used the D20 as a rackless setup. YMMV.

IMG_20180706_174617.jpg IMG_20180706_174654.jpg IMG_20180706_174808.jpg
  11. jskateborder

jskateborder Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I second this, have tried cheaper setups initially, and now have a lot of miles, weather, oil, drops and general abuse on various pieces of wolfman gear, and am convinced that they are DEFINITELY worth the cost (to me) over the long haul.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  12. fastring

fastring Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Vuz bags are $99 but they are currently out of stock. Givi has some for less than $200ish, forget the part # but they are small (10l each).
  13. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I used and abused a set of wolfman bags for several years without any major failure. I switched to the Mosko bags and yes they are more $ and a bit heavier...they are absolutely the best. They are super tough and stand behind their products. Hard to beat a company that makes awesome gear and has fantastic customer support after the sale.
  14. boulet_boulet

boulet_boulet Been here awhile

Oddometer:

I have it in writing that there is a lifetime warranty on the welded seams. I would contact the reseller if you think that part of what created the problem was the welded seam between the strap anchor and the bag, or something similar.

Bummer about the bag. Thanks for the additional info. I hope I have better luck.
  15. Bad Dad

Bad Dad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Otliebs, Touratech motos as there called now. Mine are 22 years old and still waterproof.
  16. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :stupid

Ortlieb dry bags. Aerostich still has some of the Ortlieb branded ones in stock. Apparently if you put the Touratech name on the same bag it makes it more expensive. If bang for the buck is what you are looking for, these bags fit the bill.
  17. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Did you know that if you are an AMA member (American Motorcyclist Association) you get a 20% off discount on Nelson Rigg products? Use promo code AMA-NR20.

I use the Wolfman Daytripper saddlebags on my plated CRF230F and really like them. They are made in the USA and Wolfman's customer service is outstanding. Just read this past Wolfman thread here in the Equipment forum and you'll see what I mean about their customer service:

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/props-out-to-wolfman-luggage.1213950/
  18. Montford

Montford Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  19. bomber60015

bomber60015 tikkun olam Supporter

Oddometer:
    I love my Mosko Wreckless 80s . . . given their construction, I'd not hesitate to by anything they sell.

That said, the Green Chili stuff looks interesting, espepcially if you wanted to roll your own setup.
  20. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'll drop a plug for the Green Chili stuff too. I purchased their Hardcore soft rack to serve as my luggage rack. I already had the Ortlieb panniers so I just integrated it into my system, but that is a solid luggage system. If you don't run a smaller bike like I do you can get their uprising rack system which is much less expensive. You can really play around with your load it with that system and make it suit you, very inexpensively. A really good and cost effective solution to a lot of luggage issues.