best budget GPS for motorcycle use?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by minibiker, Dec 14, 2007.

1. frewhl

frewhl daily rider

Oddometer:
    do not even think about running a nuvi outdoors.

QuestII is a good outdoor unit with all the maps.
    Quest original should be available for a good price,enough memory,but you neet to buy mapsource.

A map60 should hold about thirty counties of roads and recreation.

I still like my discontinued GPS MapV. it came with a CD and boat brackett.
  2. ISDTBower

ISDTBower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Maybe Robert (rwamf) can point us to a Lowrance friendly blog. That is holding me up with their equipment. I bought a baja 540c for a 1000 Baja car and still can't figure out what maps to buy in the US????? That would keep me from the ZOG, unless they are preloaded, and upgradable. That screen and size is nice.

I would not consider the ZOG for heavy offroad (nor does rwamf), where topo and R&R, with tracks, is king.

This blog is the best source for Garmin motorcycle related info. Several are very familiar with it...which is worth A LOT if you want to go beyond normal GPS routeing.
  3. hcmiller92

hcmiller92 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought one a month ago an love it. As an avid hiker, I appreciate having the topo maps as well as road maps. The piece is ruggedly built, waterproof, does plenty enough very well with a few shortcomings. Nothing's perfect but this comes as close to filling all my wants as I could ask for.
  4. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    As far as the 540c you need to buy Mapcreate with the card reader
    Note: For security purposes, MapCreate 7 encodes maps to memory cards, and will restrict the encoding process to a maximum of five different memory cards. You can create as many maps as you like, but they will only work on the first five memory cards that you register with the MapCreate 7 software.
    But if you have another PC you can put the program on it and that would give you another 5 cards etc.
    Note: You must use an LEI branded memory card reader/writer for MapCreate 7 to work properly.
    Lowrance topo is a very good looking map on the 540c and it also includes POI info. It is basicly the same data as the Garmin stuff but the look is way better on the GPS you will see,
    PM me for more info
    As far as the XOG for off-road, it has proven very good, and have taken it on alot of the nasty stuff I know( Hell Caynon etc), and it is holding up very well. I will have it with me on either dirt bike for sure. and I am only using the standard mount right now, Lowrance has shown a Motorcycle mount comming soon and I got an email from RAM MOUNT and they said they are going to make a mount for it also
    The Built in Navteq data base is the latest version (2007) and is very good, It gives you all the street maps and most of the back roads( more back roads than my City Select 7.0, Voice guided auto routing etc. plus I can take my SD card from my other Lowrance with topo maps and run it on it, very cool
    as far as another blog???
    GpsPasSion is one with more info?
    Take a look at these screen shots at diff zoom scales, they do not come out very good but you can get the Idea. Do you recognize this place?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi Robert,

Yes, I do, don't think you've been up there in the last few weeks though, unless it's been on a snowmoible:eek1 Great dual sport riding off the road to Monitor Pass.

I just want to know what maps you are displaying because they look like nothing I have??

First Map Create 7.0 Topo
    [​IMG]

Then Navteq Street Maps included with XOG
    [​IMG]

Your maps clearly are something different than I have.

I have a love hate relationship with Lowrance. I keep buying them because rwamf is so high on them, and the way we use GPS's is so similar.

I end up with a GPS that has great but dated Topo Maps, beautiful screens and an incredible POI database for off road explorers. It also has a number of things that make it totally frustrating to use. My H20C was a poor performer when it came to acquiring and holding a good satellite fix, battery life was marginal, the user interface was archaic compared to the Garmin interface. On the surface the track handling capabilities seemed far superior to Garmin's with the ability to store 100 tracks of 10,000 points. Unfortunately they are able to do this because they fail to store, date, time, speed and altitude information with the GPS track. I learned this the hard way when I went to geo reference some pictures from my TAT ride.

It seemed like every time I was getting attached to the Lowrance GPS's they would come up and smack me between the eyes. It looked like the XOG might have solved many of the problems, unfortunately it fixed some but created others. The problem with the track detail still exists, unbelievably you cannot pan the maps to follow a road, no WAAS support, although the unit has been on the market for over 2 months, the web site to allow you to download satellite maps and topo maps to your GPS is still not functioning. People close to Lowrance say to be patient as they will eventually get these things fixed, but it appears to be a far different level of support than you will receive from Garmin.

All that said I like the XOG. I really don't think it is going to be able to stand the abuse of continuous offroad use on a bike, particularly if you use an external power source and the battery life is too short to use without one. The street maps that come with the unit are excellent, the new chip it uses is a big improvement over the H20C. It doesn't come with any software that runs on the PC so all your routing and planning must be done on the GPS (or if you own a Garmin using MapSource and GPS Babel).

If you are new to GPS's and looking for your first GPS, I would recommend staying with Garmin, and you can't go wrong with a 60/76 Cx. If you are experienced with GPS's and want to try something different that may turn out to be a wonderful GPS look at the XOG, particularly for use on a street bike. If Lowrance supports this unit with some frequent software updates it could be a real sleeper. You sure can't beat the features for $250.

Jim in Sacramento
  6. garandman

garandman Wandering Minstrel

Oddometer:
    We had the Quest. glad you like it, but it's a lame unit.

I've used a Nuvi 660 in my tank bag map pocket with no problems, even in rain. Biggest problem with Nuvi is the standard mount isn't very robust. Putting in the map pocket solved that.

As I mentioned, it has shortcomings, but it has a current map, a decently bright display, and there are several models for sale for $200. The Quest has a small screen, doesn't have touch screen, and likely has an old map set. I'd rather use an eTrex.
  7. minibiker

minibiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So for the Garmin 60cx (~$250) what maps come with it? Would it have backroads on it or does that cost extra? How much?
  8. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    No maps, and the base map is worthless
    So you have to buy Street software so you can auto route, and Topo for off road, Garmin stuff ain't cheap , figure about $200 to get set up for mapping., 12volt cord $30, Ram mount for car and bike about $50
  9. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    No there be snow up there, The maps are the same, but my Mapcreate is version 6.3, The difference is the tracks I have overlaid, Black for major dirt roads and red for Single tracks and minor dirt roads, but You can change them any way you want.
    Jim , We need to go for a ride this spring
    Robert
  10. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've got it. I knew the red were tracks, but didn't realize the black were tracks as well. I only wish Lowrance would capture the additional information in their tracks that Garmin does. I would be tempted to make it my primary GPS. Where did you see the information on a bike mount for the XOG?

I love to go riding with you some time this spring. A friend and I were just talking about a Lassen-Applegate Trail ride with a night or two at Soldier Meadows. I love riding in Nevada.

Jim in Sacramento
  11. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    Lowrance MB-32 motorcycle mounting bracket for XOG. ITEM#: 124-52
    I also contacted RAM MOUNT and got an email back that they are going to make a mount for it soon.
    Robert
  12. ISDTBower

ISDTBower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great area Robert. I knew there was more single track there! I like the way you detail the area between dual and single track.

We have strayed into offroad where downloading and uploading Tracks are important to us. And Actually many dual sport rides are now being guided by "tracks". For the casual rider they may not need tracks....but soon may want that feature.

60cx or 76cx($250)+2GBmmc($30)+(software:CNv8($90), R&R($35), topo($75)) + cord($15) + mount (tankbag - $50- $100) (Sounds over your budget, but something you can grow with over the years.

ZOG or comparable is Budget and 95% what you want.

Some of the issues of the older garmin models is running off of the installed maps during a ride. Depends on the areas ridden.
  13. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    ?????? Can not pan the map????? what the heck do you mean, You can move the map to view a road or where it goes.
    Also I have bought Sat images from Mapselect.com and I posted them , Very cool, but expensive.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=280194&page=2
  14. JimC

JimC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I cannot pan the maps on my XOG. When I touch the map and move my finger across the screen it zooms in on the area I dragged across, it does not scroll the underlying maps. Apparantly Lowrance left the Zoom-Pan selection button off the screen and there is no where in the menu system to switch between zoom and pan. If you are aware of a way to switch between the two without resetting the whole GPS I would love to know how.

Jim in Sacramento
  15. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    That's strange mine only allows you to pan???? which is all I would want anyway. I know my 500c has a button to switch it from the two modes, so there must be a way to do it , but they used the space on my 500 for the map select button on the xog.
    Drop a line to Lowrance tech, They have been pretty good at answering my questions
  16. Raymee

Raymee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You might have luck with this, http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=98703
    I didn't read the whole thread to see if this issue is covered, but if it's not you could always ask.
  17. Raymee

Raymee Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  18. Moraflex

Moraflex Banned

Oddometer:
    RWAMF, Those close up shots of your tracks in the XOG lead me to this question: Are there roads under the tracks? In other words did the topo have the roads on it before you laid don the tracks?
  19. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
  20. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    Some had roads look at JimC's post after mine and you will see the maps with no tracks, both the built in map and The topo map