best budget GPS for motorcycle use?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by minibiker, Dec 14, 2007.

1. johnnygolucky

johnnygolucky Ride, ski, repeat.

Oddometer:
    Getting an old thread going, as I'm sure there's a few of you with some good insight, and I've heard technology has gotten a smidge better since 2007.

So planning on doing the WABDR this summer, first time ever doing such a trip and have been researching info on doing it. Gear, preparation, routes, etc..... and while I'm getting the map and I have adequate knowledge to use it, it appears the consensus is getting a GPS makes the trip so much easier, and I'm good with that.

So inmates, what's a good one that's worked well for you? I don't need some top of the line GPS that has SAT phone and makes you pancakes, just a tough GPS that works as expected and doesn't make the VISA whine.

Thoughts and personal experience would really be appreciated. Cheers
  2. Eatmore Mudd

Eatmore Mudd Mischief on wheels.

Oddometer:
    ohgood likes this.
  3. johnnygolucky

Oddometer:
    That's interesting and thank you for the link. I honestly didn't really think of using it that way, without cell service. Interesting article. Not sure how I feel though about using my iPhone though, as I'd want to have it as a more of a backup in case of an emergency, rather than putting it on my handlebars for the ground to grab in case of a crash. Hence my desire to learn what other people are using for backcountry touring.
  4. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    No man I was suggesting a second inexpensive device for GPS and keeping your iphone as a phone.
  5. johnnygolucky

Oddometer:
    Yeah brother thats a good idea. A really good idea. Thanks for the pro tip.
  6. Eatmore Mudd

Oddometer:
    Dude I'm no pro. Ohggod and alamoPDX are the master yoda and obi wan kenobi of android GPS smartphones.

Do a site search on their names along with Locus, Osmand, Android.
    Boatloads of information gold in there.
  7. mroddis

mroddis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did the northern segment of the WABDR a couple of years ago - it's a fantastic route.

Loaded the GPS file from the website onto my iPhone, threw the phone into a Twisty Ride case, then used MotionX GPS which allowed me to follow the line. Worked fine.
    I know the standalone android is becoming popular given it's pretty cheap. I just picked up a used Garmin 76CX to keep my phone free for other things. Like compass, trip, etc. Makes me feel more like a Dakar racer....

m.
  8. JR356

JR356 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Garmin 60-64 and 76 series are fine,accept NT series maps.
    Battery life is good or can be powered.
    Can be found for reasonable price.

Moving up in price is the Garmin Oregon or larger Montana series,earlier or more basic models are fairly inexpensive.

Zumo 450-550 and the BMW Zumo are good units that accept the current NT maps.

All above are waterproof,the 76 floats.

Think most can accept OSM maps.

Check flea market here,local Craigslist.

JR356
  9. CCRyder

CCRyder Champ

Oddometer:
    Thanks for this tid bit of information .....
  10. salty_dog

salty_dog Day trips around TLH, WMAs and South Ga dirt roads

Oddometer:
    I'll second the 64 series. My battery lasts a long time, I recharge at night on a multiday trip, I can load maps other than Garmin maps and I have had no trouble loading gpx files.
  11. 71tr

71tr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used Garmin 64 and Montana series for a few years, but have since converted to the dedicated android phone as my preferred gps unit. I purchased two Kyocera Torque units (a little dated now but they get the job done) off ebay for about $30 each. No contract or cell service, just wifi and gps. Loaded up the pay version of Osmand+ mapping/gps software (costs a few bucks on the Google store) and have never looked back. Osmand+ like most mapping tools uses Open Street Maps which can be downloaded to the phone via wifi, pick your state or any country globally, no additional cost. I can create tracks or generate routes directly on the unit, I can save tracks and I am no longer tethered to Garmin's Basecamp laptop software. If I so desire I can generate tracks on the web using my laptop then email them to the phone. To customize the phone screen I also purchased from the app store a "big buttons" tool which lets you delineate the screen into say 6-8 big buttons each assigned to a task such as wifi, screen brightness, compass, email, gps etc...

I have two identical units that have taken me across Mongolia and Patagonia. One unit is on the handlbars pulling duty while the other is in the tank bag being charged during the ride. If I lose a unit its no big deal as I've got all of $30 bucks invested. I find the smartphone software easier to utilize compared to Garmin, maps are free and the software is continually being updated and improved unlike Garmin units, imo.

Below image of stock phone screen and big buttons installed.

phone_zps8u2vjjso.JPG
    ohgood and chrisjk like this.
  12. Hdmod1965

Hdmod1965 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The problem I have with using Android phone is mapping tends to keep me on GOOD roads.......I want a GPS or mapping that gets me off the beaten path and enjoying the scenery.......not the traffic
  13. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

unfortunately the best way to ask for good roads it's to ask people. fortunately, lots of people will share.
  14. chrisjk

chrisjk Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Get Kurviger and set the options appropriately and you will find roads you never knew existed - even close to your house!
  15. slartidbartfast

slartidbartfast Love those blue pipes

Oddometer:
    Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
    Kyocera Duraforce XD just completed 12500 miles to Alaska and back in an X-mount. Withstood heat, cold, rain and dust, functioning almost perfectly. I used Locus for 95% of the navigation and all track logging. Only one issue due to rain spray getting into the USB port and it stopped charging. Quick spray of silicone fixed that. If I'd put silicone grease into the connector as I originally intended, it never would have happened. Some day I'll finish the mount wth pogo pin charging that I had intended to use but did not complete in time.
    CapeMan and ohgood like this.
  16. JSolo

JSolo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    https://slickdeals.net/f/11670063-g...gps-refurbished-149-free-shipping#commentsBox

Yes, this is a successor to the nuvi line. Ran a nuvi on the motorcycle for a number of years with no issues. Tricky part with this one will be the mount.

This unit is not waterproof, so bring a ziplock bag and some rubber bands with if it calls for rain.

This device will work with basecamp and mapsource as far as custom routes go.