Best cheap chinese dual sport to buy in mexico (huatulco oaxaca area)

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by Phil.Ottawa, Nov 23, 2018.

1. Phil.Ottawa

Phil.Ottawa Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hello,
    Tired of renting cheap junk for more than it should cost and I go there a lot. They have an italika 250cc dual purpose at the local mall for $29,000 pesos (US$1450) that looks nice. Any better choices in that price range? Anyone have dealer recommendations in that area? Storage recommendations for when Im not there? Mexican insurance recommendations?

Gracias por informacion!
  2. jonz

jonz Miles are my mantra Supporter

Oddometer:
    CA dez (it's a dry heat)/West Yellowstone,MT
    I saw this in Tequila and thought it looked decent. No idea if it is but maybe something to check out
    [​IMG]
    noshoes likes this.
  3. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    You need to be a resident to purchase/tag/ensure vehicles in Mexico.
    eakins likes this.
  4. alexdf

alexdf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Cheap and with parts around Mexico: Italika (or InmorTalika ;-)) . Avoid Bajaj (got a lof or problems with parts here). At every small village in Mexico you´ll find a Italika, so next to a "Tiendas Elektra" (where mostly Italika are sold, cause that shops are official dealers) you´ll find a service.
    Insurance: Mapfre is expensive, 3 years ago they offered to me a good price (including helmet and clothes damage!), but the corevage is good. You have also Qualitas, Axa or GNP.
    About a local dealer, sorry I don´t know no one there, but here in Mexico City a member of our MC is a mechanic and the owner of a Italika service agency. If you have any question about performance or parts I can ask him.
    As @Animo told you, you must be a resident here to legaly own one, but another option is to buy by a national mexican friend, and gives you a signed letter from him with an authorization to drive it.
    Kind regards.
    Johnny Drunkard, Cal and noshoes like this.
  5. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Secret Agent Man likes this.
  6. Animo

Animo Been n00b awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^ I had a Lander for a while, great bike. I beat the crap out of that poor thing and it just kept on going like the energizer bunny.
  7. youngforever

youngforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    No need to be resident to buy in Mexico, all you need is an address. You can use any hostel address, the owner will be happy to give you an hydro bill, that's the way it works for resident visa.
  8. wanderind

wanderind kailasv.com

Oddometer:
    Could you please explain that a little more? I understand that you only need an address to buy bike in Mexico. But what about registration? What's a hydro bill?

Thanks
  9. youngforever

youngforever Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hydro bill does it all to provide you an adress just as well as to get a permanent retiree visa