Best Cooler

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by phillyrube, Sep 17, 2017.

1. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, now that Irma has passed, and they are saying it was a hurricane in name only , I need to find a cooler that will keep ice longer than a day.

My igloo melts a 20 lb bag in a day, with minimal opening. Planning before the storm, we froze water in all our tupperware plastic, and Tetrised it into the freezer. Stayed cold for 4 days, until we could move frozen stuff to our daughters who got power back before us. Put the blocks into the igloo, and they melted fast. Had to cooler covered with a moving blanket to help.

Not buying the Yeti koolaid...
  2. Ayada

Ayada Adventurer

Oddometer:
    How about the Ozark Trail Yeti clones at Walmart? Much cheaper than Yeti with the same performance.
  3. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try some dry ice next time? :dunno

Orions are just as good as Yetis in terms of how well they hold ice (and price), but they've got a lot of other features that put them in a higher category than the yetis. (Bottle openers on all 4 corners, notch for tie-downs in the lid/body that allows you to secure it and still open the lid, channels for RAM-mount accessories on the sides).

[​IMG]
  4. MyNameIsMitch

MyNameIsMitch Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. PK2

PK2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Are you after unpowered? If so, this type of esky are big sellers here in Oz, and will keep ice for days. Great product, and reasonably priced too.

images (7).jpg
    Rotten Ronnie likes this.
  6. TOzman

TOzman Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've seen tests where RTICs hold ice as long as Yetis, but at less the half the cost.
    slime likes this.
  7. 2 SPOT

2 SPOT bring the rape whistle

Oddometer:
    the yeti (also a clone) and its clones are great, been in the marine industry way before they got popular, but unless you need a rugged cooler the price is not justified

get yourself a coleman xtreme or two,,, about $40 and keep ice for a week give or take depending on temps. also, drape a sleeping bag over them,,, makes a pretty big difference.
    Arbolmano likes this.
  8. Grreatdog

Grreatdog Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    The best coolers I have used for just keeping ice are those two inch thick foam boxes Omaha Steaks and places like that ship food inside.

Obviously they won't stand up to hard use. But they keep ice for days and cost next to nothing. And you can buy about 10-20 for the cost of the cheapest Yeti.

Our hurricane procedure is to fill our largest plastic containers with water, freeze them into blocks and store the blocks in those foam coolers until needed.

Which reminds me, we have no freezer space right now because of all the plastic tubs we froze before we knew which way Irma was headed.

http://www.dryicepacks.com/scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=20
    phillyrube likes this.
  9. 3shot

3shot Long timer

Oddometer:
    those "marine" grade coolers hold ice forever....expensive tho. Costco sells them seasonally at a decent price.
  10. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can extend the range of just about any cooler with additional insulation. A 4x8 sheet of 4" thick rigid foam board can be cut and taped together to create a better cooler out of a $20 coleman. It adds about R-5 for each layer of 4"...so you can double or triple your coolers efficiency going that route. It's not very tough or durable, so not something you'd want to travel with, but in a emergency situation, it'll help. Other options would be a water heater blanket. They are foil backed and can add roughly r-11 but that's with fiberglass...kind of messy, but still viable for an emergency.

Alternately, for the kind of money they want for an 'expedition' ice chest, might be cheaper to get a chest style freezer. They will stay cold for long periods and you can extend it by putting a few 3/4 full 2-liter bottles. Side benefit is that as the bottles thaw, you have additional clean drinking water.

May also be worth it to add a small inverter generator to your plan...you can run it for a few hours a day to keep things cold indefinitely.
  11. Maggot12

Maggot12 U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer:
    There was a thread here a while back with video reviews.. i'll try to find it.

My idea would be a small generator, and plug the freezer/fridge in a few hrs a day.
    Snake Oiler and sanjoh like this.
  12. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    there are many brands that make cooler similar to YETI... and many of them have been doing it as long.

Look for thick insulation not just on the sides but top and bottom as well. You also want a quality gasket on the lid.

Personally I am a fan of Canyon coolers and have my ice last over a week (with cooer management).

Cooler management is mandatory for any cooler.
    1. pre cool the cooler
    2. pre cool the items you are putting in the cooler

(think this doesn't matter... try filling a room temp cooler with room temp beer/soda then add ice. open up your drain plug after an hour an see how much melt you have. Do it again with a pre cooled cooler and precooled drinks and see what the difference is)
    3. put things in the cooler in order that they will be removed. The less time the cooler is open the better it works.
    4. consider two coolers. one for food and one for drinks.

For river trips or long hunts we will go as far as filling the drink cooler with beer/sodas then weight them so they do not float... then fill 1/2 way with water and through the open cooler into a walk in freezer. (obviously you need access to a walk in for this to work but a buddy places 12 packs in a plastic bag fills bag with water and places in his freezer at home... so where there is a will there is a way)

Block ice also last longer than cubed ice. That said I will use block ice for food but prefer cubed ice for drinks (I can use some of it for my bourbon.

there is a science and an art to cooler management. plus bragging rights at the end of a week plus are always a bonus.

For winter spring and fall trips up here we will also open the beer cooler at night and let it refreeze... doing that we have never run out of ice. Though an beer or soda in the morning can be challenging sometimes.
    Pavel+ and BigEasy like this.
  13. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    Good info here. Pre cool a day before. Leave the water in if it's convenient.
    I have a 120 qt. marine Igloo on the raft. Last year I went to Home Depot & got some weather strip/window seal stuff just the right size to put under the lid. It's soft, hollow rubber, not the foam type. Now it makes a better seal. Field testing shows I've gained at least 36 hours more ice life.
  14. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    if you need help with cooler management ask a kayaker or better yet the rafter that we have carry our gear :photog

pass me a beer will ya.
    Sharkdog, ohgood and BigEasy like this.
  15. DEAN R.SHALVIS

DEAN R.SHALVIS Long timer

Oddometer:
    POLAR BEAR COOLERS. They are collapable cooler and are a great cooler different sizes different colors and great for motorcycle travel
  16. flybigjet

flybigjet Remove Before Flight Supporter

Oddometer:
    "RTIC"?
    celticus likes this.
  17. i386

i386 Yes, I know it's supposed to rain today.

Oddometer:
    RTIC is good bang for the buck. Their coolers are just as good as YETI. Grizzly is another to consider. Made in USA too.
  18. phreakingeek

phreakingeek adventurer Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Is that the way the cool kids spell 'Arctic' ? LOL

slime and novi408 like this.
  19. Burbo

Burbo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got the "Weti", that's the w-mart version. With the leftover $300.00, go by some more ammo...............
    Rotten Ronnie and MtnRider like this.
  20. Motomantra

Motomantra Registered Lurker

Oddometer:
    My daughter has a "WAY" branded cooler for her raft. Made in Cambodia. It's built like the $$$ ones; she bought it barely used for $100.
    I went on line & couldn't find anything about WAY.