Best Cooler

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by phillyrube, Sep 17, 2017.

1. MacG

MacG Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    This^^^
    A local Walmart had the 73qt model marked down to $139 so I got one to try out. Filled about 3/4 full of ice and it lasted 6 days. Pre chilled and full it should do better still. For my needs it works fine.
  2. sarhog

sarhog Ride far...

Oddometer:
    This is true, I conducted a 90 hour test between a 20 qt RTIC and a 20 qt Yeti "Roadie". Virtually identical at half the price.

IMG_1742.JPG
    slime likes this.
  3. BigEasy

BigEasy Fish Eyed Heathen

Oddometer:
    I love it cooler threads are the new oil threads:lol3

The quoted post is gospel though, cooler management is the key to long term ice retention.

About 10 years ago I went on a private raft trip on the Colorado River through the Grand Canyon. We had an outfitter set us up with food and coolers though. I believe they used Canyon coolers. For 16 people on a 16 day float we had four giant coolers that they filled with food and flooded with water then froze in a walk-in. Those coolers were numbered 1-4 and we ate out of one at a time, only opening them in the evening to harvest that day's supper and the next day's meals. The next day's stuff was put in to a day cooler. Beer and soda was cooled in drag bags in the river. On night 15 of the trip I was drinking bourbon on the rocks with ice from cooler number 4.

Probably any brand of roto molded cooler is going to do better than a $20.00 Igloo/Coleman/Rubbermaid chest. I've got a couple Yeti's because Cabelas sells them and I buy them with credit card rebates. My 35 quart has lived in the bed of my truck for over five years in use damn near constantly, winter excepted. My ice consumption went from a 7 pound bag a day to three a week, with a frozen 1/2 gallon water bottle for support.
    BobcatSig and Snake Oiler like this.
  4. allowishish

allowishish Boof Master

Oddometer:
    on boating forums Coolers ARE the tire and oil threads here.
    slime and BobcatSig like this.
  5. Skidmarkart

Skidmarkart Dirty Middle Age Man Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a Coleman "Extreme" that I paid around $40 about ten years ago. It works great and will keep a bag ice for at least 5 days (7 if you keep it out of the sun). I'd take a Yeti, but you don't have to drop a ton of money to get a decent cooler.
  6. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have a Coleman (Igloo maybe?) Extreme that lives in the back of my work truck for half of the year.
    It's for drinking water and even with people getting water out of it all day I can go 2-3 days on a bag of ice.

I have an RTIC soft lunch box, it's great. Holds ice VERY well for a soft cooler.
    I don't have a Yeti in the truck because they are just a target for theft, someone takes the Coleman I can go to Dick's or somewhere and get another for $75.
  7. Snake Oiler

Snake Oiler If the world didn't suck, we would all fall off

Oddometer:
    Pennsylvania, but living in a toy hauler full-time
    Bump. I'm looking for a cooler for the toy hauler. Rotominded seems a ma good choice . Let's start this back in action
  8. gmk999

gmk999 ____ as a Rotax

Oddometer:
  9. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Those are interesting. Never heard of them before. But I'm more interested at this time at a standard cooler
  10. Grinder

Grinder Wrong way 'round

Oddometer:
    On a recent trip to Australia I had some time to kill and went into a few outdoor shops. I was blown away be the selection of coolers/eskies for sale at great prices. I thought about buying one. They’re identical to the yeti construction at a quarter the price, if not less.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  11. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Long timer

Oddometer:
    I bought a 20 qu RTIC last fall, and then won a big Yeti at work just before Christmas.
    The RTIC is in the truck, Yeti behind the garage.

You're going to pay double for the Yeti name. Buy an RTIC, Cold Bastard, Grizzly, or Orca.
    Any of these will do the job just as well for less money and are all nearly identical.
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  12. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    One thing not mentioned here is the type of ice you use in the cooler. I had a commercial ice machine by Hoshizaki that made crescent shaped cubes without a single air bubble in it. I could get two to three days out of my cooler (Oz made Evacool) depending on how often my clients opened the thing or left it open while eating....:bluduh
    My colleagues would always beg me for my left over ice if I brought too much to the marina..:D

Reddy ice is the worst crap you can buy as it has a big hole in the middle and air pockets all over. A ten pound bag would last half a day if you were lucky. Best is to freeze blocks of ice at home in Tupperware containers and use in the cooler rather than buying that crappy ice...
    Also having your stuff cold beforehand is quite helpful too :doh
    Pelican makes a good cooler too btw, and although a bit heavy it holds ice for days too.
    tastroman likes this.
  13. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    The Orca I seen and liked the reviews and testing compared to the Yeti.

And I have seen the difference in ice. Thanks for mentioning that. But most of the time the store bought stuff is the only option unless a local business is willing to part with some of their machine ice which is usually better also than the convenient store ice.
  14. SnowMule

SnowMule still learning what is and isn't edible Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Use CO2 ice to keep H2O ice for longer. :p
  15. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    I just bought a LIFETIME 28 qt $78.The 55 qt was $97.
    Thinking the $3 ones are best .Someone always leaves me one or two.lol
    Snake Oiler likes this.
  16. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    What's your impressions of the LIFETIME?
  17. YesRush

YesRush Long timer

Oddometer:
    Too early to say as on 1st try out,might return for the 55qt.But it’s the size of Wally cart!
    It’s cool out 68 and got condensation on trailer floor within 2 hrs.Same as a $20 cooler.
    Yeti drink mug $38,Sams club 4 pack $ 9.99,same .
    However I did feel a lot more chill from inside of lid while open.
    Oh, much easier than opening pull straps of ozark.They were real cheap till they cought on there’s a market.
    So why you looking at spending top money for current name brand of big spenders?
    20 vs 250 is just as cold as ice.
  18. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    Well. I'm transport about 20 lb of freshly frozen pork and beef from home in Pennsylvania to my trailer in the desert of SW New Mexico and don't want to have a question with refreezing. And I guess if I'm buying I should get something that will serve me will out there on my travels as well
  19. Snake Oiler

Oddometer:
    I should add. I'm also trying to find dry ice for the trip back, but having a difficult time in such short notice
  20. flybigjet

flybigjet Remove Before Flight Supporter

Oddometer:
    Try Baskin Robbins or another ice cream place. I've had good luck getting dry ice from them on occasion.