Best CTEK Battery Charger/Maintainer for garage

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by alexk243, Nov 7, 2019.

1. alexk243

alexk243 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking to spend some money and upgrade the winter maintainers and chargers I have in my garage. There are too many CTEK options out there so looking for advice on which is the best. Speed/quick charging is never needed and is mostly for maintaining batteries over the winter or vehicles that are not being used.

I am charging everything from lead acid car batteries, to deep cycle agm batteries, to jetski/motorcycle batteries and lithium motorcycle batteries.

Any suggestions on which charger is the best would be helpful.

Thanks!
  2. Exurban

Exurban Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Among the CTEK it looks like you’d need two, one for lead acid batteries and one for lithium. If you want just one charger, might want to look at Noco. They have models that do lead acid and lithium charge profiles. The 3500 might be a good all-purpose choice depending on the size of the deep cycle batteries. I have both brands and satisfied with both although I think CTEK might have a more fine tuned charge profile. The MXS 5.0 for example has a desulphate phase at 14.4 v and a reconditioning phase at 15.8v, something many of the smaller chargers don’t have.

I have a CTEK 0.8 for motorcycle batteries and a Noco 26000 for 255ah 8D batteries. I don’t presently have any lithium batteries.
    alexk243 likes this.
  3. Happy Snapper

Happy Snapper GOMOB.

Oddometer:
    Ctek MXS5 is what I use. One for the GSA and one for the bride's BMW Z4.

Being an old auto electrician.... I don't trust the bastards and run both of these via timers.

Just come on at night and run for about 5 hours...... the last Z4 battery lasted 9 years doing this.

Good stuff.
  4. alexk243

alexk243 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Ah, didn't realize there needed to be a different charger for the lithium battery. It came with the BMW F650GS from the previous owner, but all my other jetskis/motorcycles have lead acid batteries... I dont pull the lithium from the bike in the winter though, just run it from time to time and I am guessing that it does not need as much maintenance as the other batteries.

If I forget the lithium battery then, is the best charger for the deep cycles and motorcycle/jetski/car batteries the CTEK MXS5 (this one: https://amzn.to/33RRoS0)?
  5. svtride

svtride Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a half a dozen or so of the CTEK 3300 (56-158) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FQBWCY/ref=psdc_15707061_t1_B00CD44RQO for my various vehicle batteries. Cars, motorcycles, generator. Been using them for over 15 years and have never had an issue with any when maintaining lead acid batteries (flooded, AGM, or gel). I got 9.5 years out of a battery in a car that was maybe driven 500 miles a year. I live in SE MI so my cars sit for 5-6 months through winter in my shop with only the CTEKs hooked to them, 24/7. Come spring they always fire right up.
    I bought a bike this summer that came with a LIFePO4 battery so my CTEKs won't work for it. Lithium batteries charge to a reduced voltage vs. lead acid types. So I bought a Optimate maintainer https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00Y38X7WI/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 based on what my Honda dealer had. Too soon to say how it performs.

I am satisfied with CTEK maintainers. I recommend. I set them and forget them.