Best day of my life

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Lopburi, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    While working on the bike I noticed one of the front brake pads was worn fairly good. I’d have to figure out new brake pads before going into Laos. After I got my Triumph back together I took it for a test ride. All good. That night my friend Danny stopped by. He had been riding around Thailand on a rental bike for a couple of months. The plan was we would ride to northern Thailand together

CFA770EF-1CFA-46CB-AFC9-0CBE2F466388.jpeg
    Sidewaysxr and B10Dave like this.
  2. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We got a late start the next day and my plan was to show Danny the Kangkrachan dam and back roads into Kanchanaburi

9E109746-9AA6-42D7-AB34-A601178C34C5.jpeg

While Danny and I were talking at the dam Patty tried to get “the shot”
    C126737F-D4BD-47FF-919E-8F8A5FDE7F19.jpeg
    MrKiwi likes this.
  3. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We pulled into Kanchanaburi in the early afternoon and enjoyed a beer by the pool. Later after dinner Danny asked we we could go to Umphang before meeting some other friend in Uttaradit. It’s about 800 kilometers and includes a lot of highway time and about 1,300 corners for the last 150km.

In the morning I got up and wasn’t feeling well. I decided I didn’t want to race that day with Patty on the back so told Danny he could head off on his own and we would meet at Uttaradit. I booked the hotel for another night then took Danny to see the war museum before he left.

I felt like this
    DC08E5D6-A89B-497C-91B8-E862FACD1270.jpeg
    MrKiwi, B10Dave and dano619 like this.
  4. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    The next day we headed to Nahkon Sawan. We had lots of time to get to our friends place.

I mostly try to take secondary roads in Thailand. The scenery is generally better and less traffic. We stopped to relax a bit along the way
    857A23CB-8D9B-4961-B13A-758D4420646C.jpeg
    OR_Rider likes this.
  5. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    The reason we were headed to Uttaradit was to see my friend Andrew. His son was going to do his time as a monk in a temple and Andrew was putting on a celebration.

Andrew has a Ducati Hypermotard. This picture is from a previous bike trip when his bike was brand new
    5E9F087C-E4D3-4562-9101-07841C0306ED.jpeg

I didn’t ask what the celebration would be I just new Andrew would be happy if we could make it
    7C0BE7AC-696A-4E3D-B29E-E413BB486670.jpeg

8EBDEB9F-BB9D-460E-AB27-76C1657C7795.jpeg

09470778-F79D-41D5-B84A-F0A811FD6976.jpeg

Now that’s a party!
    Diddly, B10Dave and OR_Rider like this.
  6. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    The party went on for three days with the temple procession and what not. Patty and I relaxed the second day and headed north the following day.

Andrews brother in law rides this around the village
    7DFE5B2F-803A-4F4B-A101-8348469D29B6.jpeg
    Francistor83 likes this.
  7. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We have a small peice of farmland in Northern Thailand. While I was in Uganda Patty had drove the truck the 1,100 km to go investigate if we could plant coffee on it. While she was there she found another peice of land for sale and was bouncing for me to see it. My focus was on Northern Laos.

Our friends have a resort near our farmland but were full so I booked a homestay off Airbnb for two nights. Umm, well you know. Sometimes you should look before you put your credit card down. It was late and I didn’t want to ride into Chiang Rai and look for a room in the dark. I had brought a bottle of wine so we opened it and made the best of the situation. The next morning we loaded up and burned into Chiang Rai and got a room that I know Patty would approve of

The place in Chiang Rai has orchids and flowers everywhere. Patty paradise
    5694FF4E-127F-4DB4-B795-6ADFAE26B07B.jpeg
  8. Citizen

Citizen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Living the dream mate.
  9. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We are only an hour and a half from our farmland out of Chiang Rai. We had a late breakfast then loaded the bike and headed to our friends resort. I was feeling the love from my Triumph and we made it in an hour. The lack of rules in Thailand is part of its charm.

Our room at the resort wasn’t clean yet so Patty said let’s go look at the land. I hadn’t seen Tony and Nuna, the owners of the resort, for awhile and said let’s have a beer with Tony. When our room was ready we changed and Patty said we can walk to the land it’s not far.

I grabbed a couple cans of beer in my back pack and we walked up the road towards our farmland. We made it about half way and Patty says this land.

Umm, the view is off the clock. Shit. I asked Patty the size of the land. She pointed it out. Almost 3 Rai (3 Rai = about one acre). I asked how much. Ah, no problem that is too much per Rai. She said no that’s the price for the whole piece. Bugger. For that price the land status won’t be clear so no problem. She says no it’s clear title. Crap. I looked around. Seriously? She said I know. I said ok let’s buy it. She jumped so high I thought she was going to burn her hand on the sun.

I have a pano view of the land but can’t figure out how to load it. You get sunrise over the mountains to the east, the view south down the valley in the day and sunset over the mountains to the west
    B47DC59B-7CA0-4D85-AE62-472B1DE0FCA8.jpeg

I just agreed to spend the travel money I had made working two months for good luck Sandy on another peice of land. Hmmm!
    knight, StayFrosty, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  10. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We walked back to the resort. Calls were made. Price was confirmed. The owner of the land was in Bangkok but would be back between Christmas and New Years. Pertfect we still have time for Northern Laos.

Patty decided she would go with Nuna early in the morning and help her lead a small tour group. It was unusually cold in Northern Thailand so I said go for it.

Patty with “the little guides” on top of Phu Chi Fa for sunrise. The little guides refer to Nuna as “the big guide”
    E0FD3F5E-3667-494B-ADF1-EA2EB3E395C5.jpeg

I stayed back and changed the brake pads on the Triumph
    38E2CEFA-3064-4B54-9045-D9D9B89AF3B1.jpeg
    Sidewaysxr, B10Dave and KLRalph like this.
  11. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    For dinner that night Nuna took Patty shopping in her organic veggie garden
    2F3383C3-0DB8-4F02-820E-C6899CE6F04F.jpeg

Let me know if I’m not explaining why I like this part of thailand
  12. Coffeeman

Coffeeman Coffeeman

Oddometer:
    Love this report. Wifey and I were in Chiang Mai and Hua Hin for a couple of weeks last month. We loved it but it was too hot for a couple of UK residents (38, 39 deg C).
  13. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Yes Hua Hin can bake at this time of year. Chiang Mai is a concrete jungle. Where we are out of Chiang Rai stays cooler all year. In fact in the winter it can get very cold. Close to freezing in areas.

We had rain again last night. Sunny and 24*C this morning. And yes @Coffeeman if your wondering what the plants in the foreground of this picture are
    218A32BA-2733-42BA-A880-B0DE2A177820.jpeg
    B10Dave likes this.
  14. JoeBiker25

JoeBiker25 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    really wonderful writing and pics! Patty is a saint!
  15. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We left for the Laos border crossing in Chiang Khong. But we had to take road 1093 past Phu Chi Fa on the way. We picked up road 1155 after a great burn up 1093 and carried on to Chiang Khong. I did a recy of the friendship bridge then we went to town to find food and a room

Our room for the night had a decent view of the Mekong river
    A963AB94-4E22-41AD-8506-1C01EA1151AF.jpeg
    emptypockets51, Diddly, Halen and 3 others like this.
  16. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We got up early and had a good breakfast. I always find food in the Laos country side a problem and didn’t want to suffer so we ate a lot then finished packing and headed to the border crossing.

This would be my third time into Laos on a bike but my first time trying a friendship bridge. There are problems taking bikes across the friendship bridges but I was told this one was open and should be ok if only one or two bikes. A large group would probably get turned back.

I approched the customs and there were bikes everywhere. Crap. I parked away from them and walked to the booth. Go inside to the desk. I was missing one copy of something. A Thai guy in ridding gear told me in perfect English I could make a copy on the Laos side and the immigration guy pointed to go there. Ok. I asked a Thai lady where to make a copy and she said follow me and lead me past the Lao customs officials to the copy place then took me back to the Thai side. Nice people everywhere here

Copy in hand I head back, pay a fee and head to the next step. No problem. Wait for the chase car to take us across the bridge. Laos side was going smooth. Last step. The Thai guy that spoke English was in front of me and said the guide from the other group made a mistake and one bike had to go back to Thailand. He was in a group of three bikes and they were heading to Oudom Xai. He asked where we were headed. Luang Namtha was my goal. I noticed they had Ride Asia stickers on the bikes.

At the final step the guy asks me what border crossing I would re enter Thailand. I couldn’t remember the name of the town and my map was 200 meters away on the bike. Confusion unfolded. Eventually we got it figured out and we were rolling into Laos. Total time to cross just over one hour
    Halen and MrKiwi like this.
  17. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We are in Northern Laos and heading further north. Ya baby!

The road is good. That’s to be expected close to the border crossings. It will get worse up a head. We rode for awhile and the road didn’t get worse. Hmm, we are in Laos right? I spotted a little restaurant on a rice field and asked Patty if she wanted to try. Ok, so I turned around.

The food was really good
    8FCE2452-9FC1-4C88-AF2F-64D792E74473.jpeg

With a nice view
    4F667340-A3CE-4469-AE88-DFEECA903DA2.jpeg
    Diddly and OR_Rider like this.
  18. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We carried on. The road remained good. We stopped for a break before reaching Luang Namtha

9161A06D-7720-42E4-B6F5-D0BC2F72CB10.jpeg

Photo from Patty
    52D2236F-994B-4A06-AEF7-361667F3CCB7.jpeg
    emptypockets51 likes this.
  19. SOLOKLR

SOLOKLR Back to work

Oddometer:
    40+ tries, but she got "the shot"

Loving the ride report. Thanks for posting
    ExplorerFrog and dano619 like this.
  20. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise