Best day of my life

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Lopburi, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Norty01

Norty01 RIDERCOACH (RETIRED!)

Oddometer:
    Safe travels!
  2. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    When we started this trip I decided I didn’t want a North American phone. We would just try and use free wifi when we could get it. This coupled with the fact that I didn’t buy a map was going to make each day a bit interesting. We rode until I was tired then found a random hotel room. Looked around for food and decided we would just eat the leftover food and snacks we had with us. We did have wifi so google maps came up with a plan for the next day
  3. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Got a early start in the morning and headed that way.

0C66E89D-7A30-488B-927A-E537D9C91098.jpeg

We rolled into Lake Tahoe for lunch. I hadn’t been there before and wanted to see it.

We rolled up to the front door of a fancy looking restaurant. The lady asked me if we had a reservation. I said I have reservations about how much lunch is going to cost me here. She laughed and said come inside
    7C2EDA51-B959-422D-BAE6-2A4469B61FAD.jpeg

Turns out her husband used to own a Harley. We chatted for awhile and she gave us some suggestions where to go in the local area. As it turned out it was the way I was planning to go so I was happy with this. Lunch was good.
  4. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    My focus was on getting back to Vancouver but I wanted to show Patty some things along the way. I had ordered tires off the internet and had everything at my daughters house to give the bike a good going over before we hit some serious distance.

My plan was to camp this night. I looked at the gps and local road signs and decided on a state park. We stopped and bought some beer and food and headed to the park. When we got to the entrance it said day use only. Crap! We had rode about 15 miles off track to get there and it was getting late in the day. We rode around outside the park a bit and people had no trespassing signs up. Bugger. We found an area that was unmarked and I said screw it we will stay here. I unloaded the bike and took a dry bag down to the park. Loaded the bag with water from the lake and rode back to our camp site.

I set the tent up off in the bushes out of site from the road. I would move it after dark so we were partially hidden. Then we sat down for dinner
    3BEDD322-9936-43DC-93CD-EFB41CBE99D7.jpeg

After we ate we walked down to the lake
    7FCCAA31-F467-43DD-B40D-5C8A3703CA42.jpeg

And had a glass of wine
    5613376B-9FFA-40A5-BE7B-520C7A06D0AF.jpeg
  5. thebugslayer

thebugslayer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    because you are!
    forgorin, HBLQRider, nk14zp and 2 others like this.
  6. BMWBUD

BMWBUD I couldn't hack it. Back on two wheels.

Oddometer:
    We should all be so lucky!
    Vinz Klortho and HBLQRider like this.
  7. 4x15mph

4x15mph Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great thread and can't wait to hear more. I am very jealous and envious. I am not sure where I want to start first; Going to Thailand to live or quitting my job and going riding with my wife. So cool
    Foiler likes this.
  8. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Happy and safe travels my friends, and if she has follow you around the world... then SHE IS A FOR OVER WOMAN!! that is soo cool that she is willing to keep up with you!

and yes I am in!
  9. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I slept like a rock that night. Patty not so much. Patty had hurt her shoulder previously working on our small farmland in Thailand.

What’s the saying? “You can take the girl from the farm but you’ll never take the farm from the girl”. Something like that.

Also we would have to change some of our camping gear to be more comfortable. I’ll figure that out as we go.
    klaviator and ChiriLeo like this.
  10. lifetravelled

lifetravelled Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great start, we are in
  11. boristhebold

boristhebold Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This is one the best things I have read on here. Look forward to hearing the rest of your travels. Safe riding.
    KleineDK and flyingdutchman177 like this.
  12. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I pointed us to highway 101. I like that stretch of road and wanted Patty to see it.

We found some redwood along the way. I grew up in a town with 150 people and started working in a portable sawmill in the country side when I was 14. I can’t get enough of this in my life.
    FD84459C-C461-48C2-85FE-8986EC34A4CA.jpeg
    Foiler, klaviator, Bors and 2 others like this.
  13. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Currently time. I bought a peice of land in Northern Thailand. Actually it’s our second peice of land in the north. Our long term plan is to build a home here.

For the mean time I have this
    A0CFB6E0-9DC3-4976-B7F6-BF8099272946.jpeg

At some point Patty will need to pee
    F91A979E-EB64-4854-908D-761BFB4FB6B2.jpeg

The kitchen is sort of a work in progress
    8B97CD49-4A46-4004-BE8D-CB41F38CCC8A.jpeg
  14. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Back to the story.

We carried on. My plan was to spend the night in Eureka. There was no reason for this I just liked the name of the town. After 5 minutes research on tripadviser I had a plan for a hotel...

Umm, shall I say we didn’t stay in the best part of town. I don’t do drugs but this place was definitely a crack house hotel. Crap, bugger, crapity crap. I had planned to shelter Patty from this sort of thing and I landed us right in it. Strangely the bathroom in the room was very clean. I wouldn’t walk on the carpet without shoes and was worried about bedbugs in the bed but the bathroom was super clean. A friend later explained drugs people don’t use the bathroom. They just get fucked up and pass out.
    Lost Cartographer and klaviator like this.
  15. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We went for a walk and found a Mexican restaurant. Food was ok, staff were cool and ended up chatting with some locals over a beer. Super cool. Grabbed a six pack of beer on the way back to the room and waited for the shit storm crack house dilema to unfold. It never came.

I took our silk sleeping bag liners out and we slept on top of the bed. In theory the bugs shouldn’t come to the silk liner. I slept with one eye half open.

As soon as I saw day light I got up and went to check if the bike was still there. It was and nothing was stolen off of it. Cool. I took out my camp stove and started to make coffee for Patty in the parking lot.

Patty came out to see what I was up to and spotted a little boy staring out the curtains at us. He had sparkling eyes. Patty gave him a little wave and he gave us the biggest grinning smiley face ever. Today is going to be a good day!
  16. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I took some pictures of it all but now that I look back I realize I used the camera in my head. I got fed up with cameras years ago. The technology today is much better so I’m trying to change my ideas but sometimes I forget.
  17. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We carried on up the coast.
    8CAC0497-4AFE-46D2-900D-4FC68EE610AD.jpeg

Does this count as an adventure?
    E99BCEFB-508D-4BA8-A352-8C4D995841EC.jpeg
    Sidewaysxr, EMFL, Foiler and 14 others like this.
  18. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Randome picture of Patty in the past
    82FAB804-5CD6-4464-BE89-735915B2965B.jpeg

And yes. She’s a small gurl but she knows how to pick up a big bike.
    Sidewaysxr, Foiler, Ccceric and 3 others like this.
  19. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We cruised up the 101 and found a campground in Olympia. My plan was to relax a bit before crossing the border into Canada.

AE8BD4B8-8BE7-4BAC-BBB9-1DBB2B7EFEA6.jpeg

We had passed a small store that looked ok so after setting up camp I jumped on the bike and went shopping. Food, beer and firewood. Perfect! We settled in for the night, cooked some food and drank beer beside the campfire
  20. Perkio

Perkio Just "Perk" Please.

Oddometer:
    Love your ride and attitude!
    Safe travels
    Folly1 likes this.