Best day of my life

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Lopburi, Apr 27, 2018.

1. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm enjoying this thread, it tells a story, we're getting to know more about the characters, the humour is fantastic and it is real.

Thanks for taking the time to write this thread, I know the effort it takes. cheers from way south of the border...
  2. BadPanda

BadPanda n00b

Oddometer:
    Same here. Been following for weeks and was curious. I've been trying to figure out what line of work I need to get into where I can work a few months and earn enough money to buy a coffee farm.
  3. ExplorerFrog

ExplorerFrog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    When I worked in Thailand, I met a young Alaskan that worked the summer fishing seasons on trawlers then spent the winter/spring in Thailand every year. Good gig albeit dangerous. He wouldn't work the winter crabbing seasons. He claimed he could make $60 to 100k in about 7-8 months.
  4. BadPanda

BadPanda n00b

Oddometer:
    I did the Alaska fishing thing way back in 1993. I had heard all the stories of people making more money than they knew what to do with. The only problem I had was that reality was much different than the stories that were told. I just knew I was going to leave Alaska after 5 months with $50K in my pocket. I actually ended up leaving with about $1500 left over from the $6000 I actually made.
  5. ExplorerFrog

Oddometer:
    :lol3 I wanted to ask him why he rented a 150 baht a night bungalow if he had so much.
  6. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Ha ha ha. Life is simple. Start off with nothing, spend 30 years working your ass off to put your kids through university, pay off the house/land/toys etc, when the dust has settled take a pencil and figure out your daily costs to live and what you want out of life.

The coffee farm is my bonus gift to Patty for all the time I’ve spent away from the family trying to make money to pay for it all and for putting up with all the stupid shit I’ve done over the past 23 years she’s been with me.
  7. BadPanda

BadPanda n00b

Oddometer:
    Amen to that. My 23rd anniversary is next weekend. I completely understand where you are coming from. I just haven't figured out how to pay everything off yet.
    Lopburi likes this.
  8. landyguy

landyguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for this report. It is so random! I leave on a trip with my son next week, his first long trip on his new bike!
    Lopburi likes this.
  9. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I’m up to date now.

It’s 4pm. My brother in law will pick me up at 8pm to take me to the airport. My Tiger is fixed and in storage. My Super Tenere is in storage (I need to order some parts for it). I did some minor repairs to the house. Patty will be back from Germany in a couple of days. Depression has set in. It always comes when I park the bike. It will go away after a few days of work. I hope.

Ok, so I guess it’s time to end this report. I still have so much more I want to see in Europe but it will have to wait a couple of months while I go make money. In my absence Patty will carry on with her Great Wall of Thailand, coffee farm project and rice planting (did I mention we are planting rice in northern Thailand?).

I may do another ride report down the road. I’m not sure. I got an email from a friend last night saying I could store my bike at his place in South Africa. Hmm, not sure about Africa on a bike. So much more to see in Europe first. Anyway, I hope to meet some of you in the future if it’s possible.

Cheers!

PS. Patty is still working on “the shot”
    642E3351-1E4A-4C9B-AA63-BE22F273437A.jpeg
  10. fjer

fjer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thank you for this ride report. I have really enjoyed it. I am extremely sorry to see it come to an end as I looked forward to every post of your travels with Patty. Please keep us informed of your adventures and Patty's projects.

Dave
    Lopburi and MrKiwi like this.
  11. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:
    Well done.

Here’s to your time away from home flying by!

Cheers
    Lopburi likes this.
  12. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:
    And I was half expecting Patty to take the reins and turn this RR into her Flower Report (FR)..
    OR_Rider likes this.
  13. BigJon01

BigJon01 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thank you for this. It has been a pleasure to read.
  14. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed the report and pics!! Thank You!!
  15. KTMInduro

KTMInduro Off Road Montster

Oddometer:
    Really enjoyed your RR also. Hope you kick start it once again on your return to the Great Wall. Thanks
  16. Vrode

Vrode Hangin' Out

Oddometer:
    Enjoyed the RR, thanks for the trip! Best to you and Patty!
    Lopburi likes this.
  17. yamalama

yamalama wet coaster

Oddometer:
    great report. loved the mindset.
    thanks for posting!
  18. roostingthe65

roostingthe65 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Great report! Good to see a guy that gets dirty for a living can still make a decent living. I assumed you were older and some sort of business guy lol. Keep up the reports I enjoy them. Way jealous too!
    Lopburi likes this.
  19. ExplorerFrog

Oddometer:
    Hopefully just a break! Thanks and hope to meet you in Thailand some day.,
  20. GregDavidL

GregDavidL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'll be in Chiang Mai this December.
    Lopburi likes this.