Best day of my life

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Lopburi, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Thank you to all that have said safe travels. Life is a journey and we are still on it.
  2. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I had some whiskey and was feeling good so decided I’d have some of that beside the campfire as well. I woke up with a small headache, packed up camp and we headed to the border.

I hate entering Canada. Why do they have to make it so complicated? I used to get pulled up every time entering Vancouver airport. Ok, I was young single and traveling on my own back then. As a word of advice, if your 24 years old and the lesbian customs bitch asks you “what were you doing in Thailand?” Do Not Say “drinking and fucking”. Sometimes I’m too honest. I’m older now so this border crossing should be easier...
  3. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We rolled up to the border. Not much traffic. I pulled over and got our passports and documents ready. We pulled back in line and waited. I always seem to get the slowest line but this time it was quick. We get to the customs:

Customs guy: passport

Me: yes sir

Customs guy: where do you live?

Me: Thailand

Customs guy: no where do you live in Canada?

Me: I don’t. I’m a nonresident and live in Thailand

Blank stare from customs guy.

Customs guy: do you own this bike?

Me: yes I do

Customs guy: what is your address in the US?

Me: I live in Thailand

Blank stare from customs guy.

Me: should I pull over so you can search us and we can be on our way?

Customs guy: yes, pull over up there

We pulled into the search area and a rather friendly guy directed me where to park. He smiled at the bike and asked how we were. I said fine thank you how are you today? He smiled and said fine. I thought ok, this should be quick. He directed us into the customs office
    Foiler and klaviator like this.
  4. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    The first guy at the booth was in the office talking to a third guy. He called me over to the counter.

Customs guy 3: where do you live?

Me: thailand

Customs guy 3: what is your address in USA?

Me: I live in Thailand

Customs guy 3: how can you buy a bike in the US if you don’t live there?

Me: with cash

Now we have 3 guys and a lesbian staring at us. I felt something on my leg and looked down. It was the drugs dog sniffing me. No problem. Keep in mind that we had been sitting by a campfire and smelt like bbq to the dog. They asked Patty to take a seat and the drug dog handler questioned her while the dog licked her bike pants.

Customs guy 3: you will have to import this bike into Canada

Me: no I will not

Customs guys and a lesbian staring at me

Customs guy 3: take a seat

At this point Patty is about to panic. I told her to calm down. We are Canadian and they can’t deny us entry. They can refuse the bike. If they do that we park it somewhere and take a bus across the border.

Customs guy calls me to the desk

Customs guy 3: Mr. Lee you will have to import this bike into Canada

Me: no I will not. I’m a nonresident and that would screw up my tax status

Customs guy 3: how will I know you won’t sell the bike in Canada?

Me: because I’m riding it. If I sell it I won’t have any way to travel

Customs guy getting upset

Customs guy 3: what guaranty do I have that you will take this bike back to the US?

Me: you will have to take my word for it

Customs guy 3: I deal with thousands of people every day. I don’t trust anyone

Me: sorry. that’s all I got for you

Customs guy 3: please take a seat

Half a dozen of them have a conference. Two walk out the door. Customs guy 3 comes back in and asked for the key to search the bike. I give him the keys and tell him there is a leather man tool in the tankbag, a folding knife in one of the cases and a box knife in with the tools. He looks at me, says thanks then walks away.

1 minute 42 seconds later customs guy 3 walks in and says Mr. Lee, come get your documents you can go.

As I collect the documents he says just be aware every time you try to cross the border it will be like this. I ask him if there is some way to make it easier? He says your a unique case. You don’t fit the system. Cool. I’m a unicorn!

We carried on to my daughters place in Vancouver.
  5. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Current time
  6. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
  7. Imachimper

Imachimper Shunpiker Extraordinaire

Oddometer:
  8. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We get to my daughters house. She’s not home. Hmm. Patty asks what do we do?

I look under the door mat. Nothing. I look in the mail box. Nothing. I pick up the flower pot. Bingo! Patty says “seriously?” and we both start laughing.

Once inside Patty dumps her bike gear on the floor and heads for the shower while I unload the bike and proceed to turn my daughters living room into a refugee camp. Again.

I sat down on the sofa and fell asleep
    Lost Cartographer and klaviator like this.
  9. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I hear some noise and wake up. Patty is sleeping on the sofa beside me. My daughter is standing at the door. She’s looking at my mess in her living room and says “really daddy?”. I said “what?”. She shakes her head, steps over our gear and carries on. She’s a good gurl.
  10. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    The next day was maintenance day. I had checked a local bike shop and they wanted $120 to change tires for me. $120 each tire. I’ll eat the tires off with my bare teeth before I pay that. So I ordered tires off the internet and had them sent to my daughters house.

3887D812-754B-4931-ACD3-69687D157259.jpeg

There were two young guys sitting on the steps drinking beer at the house opposite me. I turned to grab something and bumped the bike. It rolled off the center stand onto its side. Bugger. I’m staring at it trying to figure out how I can pick it up with no wheels on it. The two young guys run over and ask if I’m ok. They help me pick the bike up. I say thanks a million and they walk back to their beer. I thought that’s actually not a bad plan so went inside to grab a beer. I grabbed two extra and took them to the young guys and said thanks again.
  11. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I had a small battery powered air compressor with me. Of course it didn’t work so I borrowed my daughters car when she got home from work and took the tires to a gas station to inflate them. I changed oil and filter, final drive oil and brake and clutch fluid. I also pulled the final drive off and regreased the splines. Brake pads were still in good shape. With the bike serviced we were ready to roll on but we decided we would stay a few more days to visit friends and I needed to drop the tires and oil off somewhere for recycling...
    klaviator likes this.
  12. refokus

refokus Hmmmmmm

Oddometer:

Nice .
    Dr Klaun and 240ADV like this.
  13. joeducati

joeducati n00b

Oddometer:
    Fantastic pictures, you're living the dream!
  14. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    @TUCKERS had warned me about the mounting system on the Jesse cases. I had been taking care along the way and the right side case kept coming loose. I took the case apart a couple times and couldn’t figure out why it was loosening when the left side was fine. I contacted Jesse and they said I must have it installed wrong. Really? One side works and the other doesn’t. They are identical. What the fuck?

I found a car tire shop that was listed as a recycle center so I strapped the old tires to the bike and headed there. They wouldn’t accept bike tires. Hmm. The owner heard me talking to the guy and came over and said he was really sorry but they way the system works he can’t take them. He sujested a bike shop that should take them. I go back to the bike and it’s cranking slowly when I start it. Great the battery is dyeing. I went back to my daughters house and looked up the shop on the internet. I called them and they said no problem.

I have friends in that area and had planed to visit them so I can drop off the tires at the same time. I check the cases. Right side loose again. This is getting old. I decided to walk to a local pub and have lunch. No point stressing out.
    klaviator, lunchmeat and MrKiwi like this.
  15. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    I drilled holes in the cases in the end and bolted them to the rack. Pics to follow
  16. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    The challenge on the Jesse of this design is the doo-dad that sits in this slot has to be ‘indented’ on the inside....if you feel inside the slot you fill find an indentation, your button needs to fit exactly in this 84F45B33-398E-4DED-AD18-BEB4F5FA6422.jpeg
  17. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    The next morning I load the used oil and old tires on the bike. I’ll drop the oil at a Canadian Tire store then head to the bike shop to drop the tires. Bike started reluctantly. I’m driving down the road and something doesn’t sound right. I slow down and watch my right side case fly down the road past me. Shit! Bugger! Crap! I stand up on the pegs and ride the bike up the curb onto the sidewalk, jump off the bike and run after my case before it gets hit by a car. The car behind me hit the brakes and turned his hazard lights on and stopped blocking traffic so I could pick up my case. I waved and said thank you. He nodded and drove away.

EF086F0D-F1BD-40DF-8518-BA5455C36202.jpeg

I spent the rest of the day figuring out how to fix my peice of shit cases.
    Lost Cartographer likes this.
  18. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I get back to my daughter house and disassemble the cases. Again. Go inside and think about things. Check my email and there is a response from Jesse saying basically that I’m an idiot. I respond by say I think their case attachment is complete shit, I have a fucked case and I want to shove it up their ass. Oddly enough I never heard back from them.
  19. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    These racks don’t have the indent. I ended up bolting them solid as James did and never had a problem for the next two months.

Oh, did I mention the fucking things leak as well? The left undamaged case leaks worse than the right one that I beat back into shape.

If anyone is reading this do yourself a favour and buy Bumot or Cariboo cases. Much better and great support from both companies
  20. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    7F25E1D2-7C6F-4553-AE4D-8996179953D7.jpeg