Best day of my life

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Lopburi, Apr 27, 2018.

1. OR_Rider

OR_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Monn Phu Phrai resort is about 30mins outside of Chiang Mai and a great small resort. Spent a month there 2 yrs ago when we were in the area.

http://www.monnphuphrai.com/html/en/about-us.htm

There's a hot springs nearby that we would goto for lunch with the best Khao Soi I've ever had!

https://goo.gl/maps/J1Aj731t3sTtpTcC8
    Lopburi likes this.
  2. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Busy busy. Don’t quit your job if you want to relax. We’ve spent the last two weeks entertaining family and friends in Thailand. I’m not sure how many thousand km we’ve put on our truck. It’s been great.

Patty told me I’m not allowed to post her photos anymore. I told her stop standing in my pictures. This is what you get now
    8AF8CE41-06F6-473E-869D-A76403A95677.jpeg

But I Can’t Resist This Photo

Beans. We got beans!
    A81CBAA6-8AB4-4685-84C9-D5AC8E37A12F.jpeg
  3. Diddly

Diddly Bored of Directors

Oddometer:
    MrKiwi likes this.
  4. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Con grats on the beans, its a big day.
    MrKiwi and Lopburi like this.
  5. OR_Rider

OR_Rider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nice cherries!
  6. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Hmm. I’m sitting in the jungle in northern Thailand contemplating if I should tell the story of Kevin? It’s something I left out of the ride report because I didn’t know how it would end. Or should I shut my cake hole?
    MrKiwi, fjer and Sidewaysxr like this.
  7. cliffb

cliffb Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please share with us. :bubba
  8. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer

Oddometer:
    We really need to know the complete story.
  9. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Ok. I need to look for some photos.

Patty doesn’t have enough stress in her life so she needs to build me a new house...
    A3FCE755-159E-429C-B96F-6990ED98D4E8.jpeg

Umm, ya. I need to sleep. Workers coming tomorrow am
    MrKiwi, GregDavidL, B10Dave and 2 others like this.
  10. sages

sages Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    And a bigger shed for the bikes and other toys to live in. Bikes need sleep too ya know
  11. Gestalt

Gestalt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    House building in Thailand, this should be fun. Good luck my friend.
  12. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Toys. And bikes. You can never have too many. But I blew up my 120amp inverter welder do to the low quality electricity feed in the jungle. What to doing?

160amp generator welder maybe?
    3F953544-9818-4CA0-9077-81EC3D2B95DA.jpeg
    B10Dave, BillUA, Smidty and 3 others like this.
  13. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Patty likes trouble. Hopefully she doesn’t get tired of my crap before the house is done. Something about Jai Yen Yen in Thai language
  14. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cake holes are over rated, stories are not :lurk
  15. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I’ve tried to shorten this but you might want to grab a cup of coffee and some popcorn.

The story of Kevin,

I was living in Lopburi, Thailand and things were ok(ish). Nothing for foreigners in Lopburi. It’s a military town only for Thai people. I had spotted a sign that said “hamburgers” near the train station but didn’t stop. Late one Sunday, Patty and I were returning from a weekend bike trip on my 650 Versys and I said let’s stop and try that hamburger. I knew it would be crap but you never know if you don’t try.

The place was a tiny hole in the wall place named The Hungry Monkey. We met Kevin the owner, his Thai wife Max and their new baby daughter Cara. Burger was decent and the beer was proper cold. Kevin is British, 33 years old and has worked around the world. His wife Max is educated and speaks perfect English. Kevin thought my 650 was cool and I told him I was waiting for delivery of my 800 Triumph. We became good friends over the next two years. Right in the middle of nowhereville Thailand.

About 10 months before we left Lopburi Kevin closed The Hungry Monkey. He was just breaking even working 18 hour days 7 days a week and his lease on the building was due so he folded. No more burgers for me and I realized, I truly was living in a shit hole.

Kevin had told me he didn’t feel proper health wise. He was stressed from running the restaurant and when he closed it he started working out again at a jim near my house. Kevin’s a fighter. He likes MMA. His Thai father in law is a Muay Thai instructor so he’s training in that. He doesn’t have health insurance but eventually went to see a doctor. About the same time I was not enjoying life in Lopburi. I was spending every free minute of my time riding my Tiger to get away from the town. Something had to change but I didn’t know what to do.

One day Kevin called and asked if he could drop by. Sure, I have cold beer. He told me the results from the doctors. He hadn’t told Max yet and didn’t know what to do. 35 years old, a lovely wife, a darling 2 year old princess daughter and diagnosed with a terminal brain tumor. I opened a bottle of whiskey and we had a little cry together. A week later I said fuck it all and quit my job. Life is too short. I need to do the things I want to do before it’s too late.

The night before we left Lopburi Kevin called and asked if they could drop by. We had everything packed up for the moving truck in the morning but I had a few beer in a cooler. Kevin showed up with ice and more beer for the cooler. We chatted a bit then decided to go out for diner. Kevin explained he had found a surgeon in Bangkok that was willing to do the operation to remove the tumor, but, ya.... After diner Kevin buckled baby Cara safely in her child car seat, gave me a man hug and said goodbye. His operation was scheduled the day we flew out of Thailand to start this adventure.

I tried to contact Kevin a week after his operation. Patty tried to contact Max. After 5 months of trying with no response I poured a stiff shot of whiskey and said goodbye. It hurt.

A few weeks later I got a message: “hey buddy, you back in Thailand yet?” WTF? The operation kicked him hard. Real hard. He ended up having a second operation. While recovering he came up with a new business plan. He’s struggling to get it going but is positive about the future. Seriously? You can’t keep a good man down!

Two and a half years after leaving Lopburi Kevin came to visit us in Hua Hin. Kevin, Max and Cara on the right. Patty, her mom and younger sister on the left.
    696C20B6-22B8-4C5E-A49C-4DB94243D197.jpeg

Life is good guys. You need to turn off the tv, phone, social apps etc and get out there
    Riel, crashkorolyk, rubline and 26 others like this.
  16. dano619

dano619 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing that!!
    MrKiwi and staticPort like this.
  17. JMforPres

JMforPres Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for sharing that! It was a roller coaster of a story.
    fjer and MrKiwi like this.
  18. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    When Kevin came to see us on our last night in Lopburi it meant a lot to me. When he said goodbye he meant it. It was a very emotional moment at a very stressful time for me. He should be dead but he’s a fighter. When I think of all my small problems in life I think of him and smile.
    MrKiwi, JMforPres, OR_Rider and 6 others like this.
  19. MrKiwi

MrKiwi Love my Tranny Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    I needed to read that story tonight.

I'll explain later why, except to say at this point I learned two days ago a good friend's daughter is not well. She was rushed into emergency surgery.

Your story of hope is encouraging.