Best day of my life

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Lopburi, Apr 27, 2018.

1. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    Villa Maria Sanitarium, Claremont, CA. USA
    B33D77B8-572B-4C11-B05E-27390448850F.jpeg How much do you think this handle/lock costs? Only to be secured locked by a small rivet. B33D77B8-572B-4C11-B05E-27390448850F.jpeg CB7A68AD-BE2E-4277-9A9A-3A9B81F9B10E.jpeg
  2. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    The next morning I gear up and am determined to get rid of the old tires. Yup! Bike won’t start. No problem. I have one of those mini battery jump start things. With the bike started I carry on. Hopefully I can get a battery at the bike shop.

I get to the bike shop and take the tires to the service area. They should charge me $10 disposal fee. The girl says forget about it put the tires over there. Cool. I head into the parts area to see if they have a battery. The guy looks it up in the computer and says “oh, it’s that one. It’s a bit expensive” I don’t have much choice. He asks if I want it installed. I ask if I install it myself in the parking lot will he take the old one for disposal? He says no problem an gives me a 10% discount.
    Lost Cartographer and MrKiwi like this.
  3. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    21C4A675-2CAF-4913-B68F-651A6E0E4EA7.jpeg 0DC461EE-794E-47E4-BA32-D09D3496C1FB.jpeg
  4. TUCKERS

TUCKERS the famous james

Oddometer:
    DA19DB64-2DE9-4D17-94C6-E2B53AF95C50.jpeg 8D799349-CA8E-4A91-8DEA-0B104DA4E63F.jpeg
  5. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    New battery installed and tires and oil disposed of we spent the rest of the day and the next day visiting various friends.

My plan was to visit my grandmother in Kamloops then head to Williams Lake to see my parents. The problem was with the big forest fires in the region the roads were closed. My sister had been evacuated from her home in Willams Lake and my parents were on alert to leave there home outside of town. My parents have a travel trailer so they had loaded the valuables, family photos etc and were prepared to move. They got evacuated into the stampede ground in the center of Williams Lake.

It was looking like they would have to leave Williams Lake. The relief workers recommended that my sister head to the relief Center in Kamloops. She left her cell phone with my mother so we could communicate and departed. Communication is becoming a problem at this point.
    klaviator likes this.
  6. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I called my Aunty in Kamloops to see if they were ok and if she had heard from my mom. She told me they were fine but my parents had been told to evacuate to Kamloops but never arrived. Bugger
    C5dad likes this.
  7. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    The roads were closed up the Fraser Canyon so instead we headed thru Maning park and up to Kelowna. I have a good friend there and he invited us to stay with them.

We stopped in at my friends place in Hope to see if he might be around. He was. I hadn’t seen him for 14 years so he was kind is surprised. We had apprenticed at the same company years ago and he was now running his fathers business. As an added bonus another guy I knew was flying on the local forest fires so I got to see him as well.

6DD0D8E9-21B0-47D0-A1EB-D3A185CAC572.jpeg

We had a coffee and chatted for an hour or so then we carried on.

I love Maning Park
    A0FE8219-B494-4B7D-92AF-5D56CF95C608.jpeg
  8. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We rolled into Kelowna and I asked Patty if she was hungry. She said a little bit. If you guys have never met a Thai woman they are hungry 24 hours a day. They never seem to get fat but if you forget to feed them things go sideways very quick. We stopped for a late lunch before going to my friends place
  9. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    With Patty full we proceeded to find my friends place. I’ve known him for years and was with him when he met his Ethiopian wife in Dubai. They now have to beautiful kids and have settled in Kelowna after living in Saudi Arabia for 7 years. He had arranged a bbq for us. A bunch of his friends were there when we arrived and were qurious to hear our story. They had prepared tons of great food, beer and wine.

Chris got me to put my bike inside and I noticed he had this. Dodge viper. We would go for a cruise the next day
    7F405C40-5ED2-4BE7-9367-77B181625DF7.jpeg
    klaviator and MrKiwi like this.
  10. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    The next day I tried to contact my parents again. No luck. I called my Aunty in Kamloops and they had called her. When they tried to get to Kamloops the road in from the north was closed and they got redirected up to Prince George via Vailmont. They were staying at a campground somewhere outside of Prince George. It was a relief to know they were safe. My Aunty said we probably wouldn’t find a hotel room in Kamloops due to so many communities being evacuated and invited us to stay with them.

My bike seemed like it was missing a bit. When I did the service on it I never bothered to check the air filter and plugs. I checked it for error codes. Nothing. I ran it thru it’s self diagnostic thing. All good. I asked Chris if he was ok if I took it apart in his garage. He said his toolbox was at work but he could go get whatever I needed. I’m self contained on the tool program so proceeded to take the gas tank off to get to the air filter and plugs. Air filter was clean but one of the plugs looked a bit worn and the ceramic insulator had a very small crack.

The Yamaha dealer was closed that day so Chris took me in some twisties in his Viper. There really is no substitute for raw horsepower. The thing was incredible. We went back to his place, drank beer, talked about old times and played soccer with his kids.

The next day Chris took me to the Yamaha dealer and I got the last 4 plugs they had in stock. Expensive too. With the bike back together I went for a test ride. Much better. When the bike had rolled off the center stand at my daughters place it bent the stock handle bars. I wasn’t happy with this and would look for a replacement.

Patty, another friend I’ve known for years and Chis’s Wife Tsehay
    3D903761-B5C3-452F-A8D7-0052BB955D17.jpeg
  11. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Sorry. Most of my pictures include my lovely wife. This trip was about visiting family and friends and looking around North America while doing it
    Lost Cartographer, Foiler and BMWBUD like this.
  12. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    The next day we headed to Kamloops. It was very smokey from the forest fires so the scenery wasn’t the best. We get to my aunt and uncles house and all is well. My uncle had a stroke several years back and had made a full recovery. We talked about family and old times. It was great. The next day we would go see my grandmother in the care home.
  13. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    The next day we went to see my grandmother. I don’t like going to old folks facility’s but I’m always amazed by the level of care the staff and nurses give to the oldies. They are special people for doing what they do.

My grandfather had died from Alzheimer’s 5 years ago and now my grandmother is suffering from it. It sucks getting old. We had a great morning with her. She remembered us and was happy to see us. We talked about me as a child and my grandfather. I asked her if she was ok with the food in the care home and if she was comfortable. She said the food was good but she suspected the nurse was giving her sleeping pills in the evening. She said the nurse told her to take her pills or else. She laughs and says “or else what?” I was happy she still has her sense of humor
    Lost Cartographer and Foiler like this.
  14. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We left my grandmother and I’ll admit I teared up a bit. I’m a realist and know this might be the last time I see her.

When I quit my job and started this trip a large factor on the decision was the large amount of my friends and family dropping dead around me. I decided I want to ride more while I’m still healthy and visit some people I may never see again.
  15. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Current time. Patty and I are living in a farmers hut in Northern Thailand. We love it.

I had my workers put shutters on the hut so we can stay dry when the rain comes.
    CD23FF29-99B9-40BD-B05B-B7C636DFFEAA.jpeg

I needed to do some stuff so we took the truck and headed to the city one hour away. It starts raining. And raining and raining. We got a hotel room in the city. With my shit sorted out we head back to our jungle hut. It’s still raining buckets.

I had to put the truck in 4 wheel drive to make the one kilometre up the dirt road to our hut in the jungle. We already know the mud will be a factor when the rainy season comes.

When we get to the hut we find my workers have put shutters on our kitchen hut to keep us dry. How cool is that?
    CD831884-9270-4977-ABBC-47BD1B1A3AA1.jpeg

We have a good laugh and sit out of the rain.

It’s dark and raining like crazy. Patty heads to the bedroom hut and says “eww it smells like cat pee in here”. I’m drinking a beer and say no it’s just damp from the rain. I go to look. Bugger! A cat has sprayed inside our hut. I went through the bedding to figure out what he had pissed on. Not good. We settled into a rainy nights sleep smelling cat piss. Lovely
  16. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I get up in the morning and it’s still raining. We won’t be able to wash the bedding in the rain as it won’t dry. The cat has gotten into our food in the kitchen. Me and him are going to have to have words. But I need to look at flights for Patty and I to Germany first.
  17. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Back to the story.

The roads are still closed into Williams Lake but my parents are in Prince George and the road thru Vailmont is open. We loaded up the bike and say thank you to my aunt and uncle and head due north. I feel great so far on this trip and time means nothing to me now
  18. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    The forest fire smoke disappears an hour out of Kamloops and the scenery improves. I had kind of forgotten how pretty this area is.

We stop for lunch in Blue River. I have no idea where we will stay tonight. There were some other bikes on the road. Mostly Harley’s.

After lunch I’m standing at the bike waiting for Patty to return from the bathroom and a full dressed Harley goes past pulling a trailer with a dirt bike on it. Ok, that guy has it figured out!
    Foiler and MrKiwi like this.
  19. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We carry on. We are a bit outside Valemont and I see a sign for a campsite. We had passed a bunch of trucks pulling trailers with mud buggy’s. I pull into the camp ground and it seems ok. We pick a tent site pay and head into Valemont for food and beer then head back. As it turns out the mud buggy’s are setting up right beside the campground. Hmmm. We are looking forward to a night by ourselves.

I crack a beer and start setting up camp. A truck pulls up opposite us with a trailer and mud buggy. Whatever. I carry on and the guy proceeds to unload the buggy.

52EA5A83-1E3F-480C-B346-9051900640AB.jpeg

Ok this is cool shit. I have to go talk to him. I walk over and say hi. He offers me a beer and we talk about his buggy. He’s from Alberta and has come for the event. He works in the oil fields and this is his hobby. His wife is at their trailer and is Asian. Being an expert on Asian women I immediately peg her as Philapina. I say thanks for the beer and turn to leave.

Wait a minute. His wife is speaking Thai to the kids. I ask “is your wife Thai?” He says yes. No shit so is mine. We call the girls over. It turns out she’s from the same area in Thailand as Patty and they have a condo just south of where we currently live in central Thailand. Is this great big world small or what?
  20. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    There could be worse places to camp
    B9B30F14-3E85-427B-8BA6-8D3EF7DEC7A8.jpeg

In the morning we had a bit of breakfast and I packed up to carry on. Patty talked to buggy guys wife a bit and I went to say good morning. We all chatted a bit. They asked if we would pass thru Edmonton on our travels. I said yes and they invited us to stay at their house. Really?