Best day of my life

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Lopburi, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Current time.

We are sitting in the rain and mud in our cat piss hut. I have my 800 Tiger XCx here and want to go for a ride but I’m not sure if I can get it down the hill in the mud. I ask Patty if she wants to go for a ride somewhere in the truck. She says ok so we slide down the hill in 4 wheel drive.

Ok guys (and gals) (and what ever gender you want to be today) I’m going to let you in on my little secret. It’s the reason I’m ok to live in a jungle hut in this region of Northern Thailand.

Please don’t tell this to anyone other than your best friend in life.

Road number 1155. It’s paradise on a bike and still fun in the truck in the rain. Just saying. I have photos but I’m not sharing. You can come and see for yourself.
  2. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Ok, maybe one photo

3FE91F10-4D04-45A1-AB75-DBF9A7797C2A.jpeg
  3. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We left the camp ground outside Valemont and headed to Prince George. I had the name of the campground my parents were at but wasn’t sure. We rolled up to the reception office and I went inside. The lady said “oh your Bob and Linda’s boy. They are in slot 22 are you going to stay with them?” I said no we would like a tent site close to them. She said no problem pick a site that suits you. The price per night was clearly displayed in the office. She charged us half price.
  4. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We went to my parents trailer and had hugs etc. I hadn’t seen them for three years and it could have been under better conditions. To be honest I think it made things better. Another part of the adventure. We stayed for three nights, talked about family and friend. Unfortunately some of the older friends had passed on.
    Foiler likes this.
  5. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Patty’s shoulder was hurting her. She wouldn’t admit it but I new it was bad. The camping wasn’t helping. I asked her if she wanted to stop the trip and head back to Vancouver. She said no way. I knew I would need to make things better for her. I had bought light mats and sleeping bags. Understand that we have been living in Thailand and the Middle East for the past 14 years. Anything below 20*C feels cold to us and we were both freezing at night. I got on google and looked for outdoor stores. I explained this to my mom and said I was going to town to look for better gear and asked if she needed anything. She gave me a grocery list and the keys to her car.
  6. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I found the outdoor store and got a couple of high quality insulated air matress. Patty said they cost too much. I also bought a nice double person sleeping bag. We had two mummy style bags but I never really like sleeping in them as a toss and turn in my sleep. It was a large bill. We got moms groceries and some extras and headed back to the campsite. Mom cooked us up a great dinner and we had fun with the situation. Patty and I both slept much better with our new gear. Money well spent
  7. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    The next day my parents got word they might be able to return home tomorrow. I helped my step father clean up their sit and load the trailer. Mom cooked us another great dinner and we had loads of laughs.

In the morning I packed up our camp and we had breakfast with my parents. They were waiting to hear if the could return home. Just before we left they got the call they could go home. They had been living in there travel trailer for 30 days. I said ok we can change our plan to head east and go to Williams Lake with them. My mom said the reports were still of heavy smoke there and when they left the house smelt of forest fire. It would take them sometime to clean up the house so we agreed they would head home and we would head east.

You probably don’t care but this is my parents
    431C8325-9BF0-42A5-9620-13BCB875877D.jpeg
    msjesscat, spdtrpl, knight and 32 others like this.
  8. MrKiwi

MrKiwi backwards & upsidedown Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    We do care, it is always great to read a ride report. Especially the unique parts about the writer and the personal bit of their life they want to share. It helps us readers gain a fuller understanding of the writer's history/background etc that has influenced you and made you you.

Cheers from downunder...
  9. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Before we left we stopped to say good bye to the crazy lady that owned the campground. She gave Patty a rock bracelet to cool her soul. Some kind of zen shaman thing she learned while she was traveling in Peru. Patty was too happy with this.

Hmm, I haven’t been to South America yet. I think we’ll have to put that on the list.
  10. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I pointed the bike east. I had a grand plan for this trip. It would change as we go.

We stopped for a late lunch in McBride. I wanted to show Patty Jasper area but the hotels are stupid expensive. My plan was to pull off a side road and camp for free. We came around a corner and saw a sign for a campground. Umm, hell ya!

We stayed here. Not so bad
    C02FC490-1095-4984-8057-57BB469F6212.jpeg

Patty loves flowers
    78DF24F9-0862-4D29-ACE1-4D4B40040F08.jpeg

652F4D18-660B-473F-A703-4633BFDAE110.jpeg
  11. MagMan

MagMan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Fascinating ride report, you seem like great partners :beer
  12. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We have our moments as every couple does. We agreed a long time ago that we don’t have to like each other every day
  13. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    This is Patty’s photo the next morning
    476CF417-1B85-4A03-8834-C4868BBC2347.jpeg

We had breakfast, loaded up and headed to Jasper. My daughter had given me a national park pass. It was a promotion thing she got for free.

I love the mountain in the summer
    B0A000EF-8A5B-479A-9F74-70F5D811D9F5.jpeg
  14. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We stopped for lunch in Jasper. A little bit more tourists than I care to be around but we found a nice little place to eat and it wasn’t too expensive.

We carried on down Icefield Parkway.
    1EA5CAA9-4489-4D8C-87ED-E3DE9166C8CC.jpeg

A6BEBC5B-ABED-4E61-8709-CDFB91766A61.jpeg

We turned left and I had a plan to camp. The area I wanted to camp in didn’t look good. We had slept in the tent for the previous 5 nights so I decided we would just roll on into Rocky Mountain house and get a hotel room. We found a nice place run by a nice India family. We looked around for a restaurant and decided we would just get some stuff and beer from a covience store and eat in the room. I took out my trusty camp stove and warmed us some treats in the hotel parking lot
  15. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We had the free breakfast at the hotel in the morning and headed off to our friends place north of Red Deer. We would stay with them for a couple of nights.
  16. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Patty has never been to this area or the prairies and was liking it. She didn’t understand the distance we were going to go eventually
    2716228F-A765-4F15-A50F-97B096BFEE26.jpeg

BEE8867F-C4B4-458E-8C39-060E1A7DBF99.jpeg
  17. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    My buddy Jon is also married to a Thai lady. He met her while we were working together in Abu Dhabi. They now have two boys. Jon had prepared a bbq for us and Bee and Patty cooked enough Thai food to feed an army. Patty hadn’t had proper Thai food since we left Thailand so she was happy with this.
    D0E305E9-5739-46F7-9C5C-2F53C9E23A19.jpeg

Jon has a bike also so the next day we rode out to Sylvan lake for lunch. We were only going to stay for two nights but they asked us to stay an extra night. It was great seeing them again after so many years
  18. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    From there we headed to Edmonton to visit another Aunt and Uncle and cousins.

I wasn’t happy with my bent handle bars and found a shop in Edmonton that had the one I wanted. Also they were a Yamaha dealer and I was feeling the hydraulic clutch wasn’t working well so I hoped I could get a rebuild kit for the master cylinder. We stopped at the bike shop and I got the new bars and new gel grips. The rebuild kit was on back order and they said they could have it in about 30 days. Bummer. We stopped for lunch then headed to my Aunt and Uncles place
    klaviator and Smidty like this.
  19. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We had a great time staying with them and visiting with my cousins and their family’s. I planned to stay for two nights but they asked us to stay longer so we stayed for 3. This seems to be a trend somehow?

My uncle is 72 now. A few years back he wasn’t feeling well. My cousin was at their house at the time and said to my Aunt something is wrong. My Aunt said he’s just tired. My cousin said no and called an ambulance. It turns out he was having a stroke and due to my cousins quick thinking they got him to the hospital and he was able to make a full recovery. He helped me change the bars and grips on my bike and blead the clutch fluid again. I was thinking it might have air in it from when I changed the fluid in Vancouver.

I only have family pictures from Edmonton so won’t bore you with that
  20. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    My plan after Edmonton was to head south and cross the border into the US carry on east and cross back to Canada south of Winnipeg. With the customs issue in Vancouver I changed the plan and we headed east on the Canada side. I wasn’t sure where we would be that night we just went.

I had been following @rtwpauls ride report and saw they were coping it in the rain to the east. We were about two hours outside of Saskatoon when the sky started to darken. I pulled over under a soya bean plant and we put on our rain gear (note to self: keep rain gear on top of case not the bottom). We spent the next two hours getting hammered in the rain and pulled into Saskatoon just before dark. We got a hotel room and went in to dry out. I didn’t feel like getting back on the bike in the heavy rain so I ordered a pizza to the room and we watched tv.
    Lost Cartographer and MrKiwi like this.