Best day of my life

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Lopburi, Apr 27, 2018.

1. flyingdutchman177

flyingdutchman177 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So relieved to find only pictures of Patty here. Please carry on!
  2. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Oops. I got ahead of myself here and missed a day. Before Loveland we stopped to see theses guys.

332E3CEC-CB49-4B83-ABD0-22EF402D9084.jpeg

34D3F6F4-2F3F-4269-BE0D-1D09F634A9D7.jpeg

After seeing the guys we carried on.

We pulled into Casper Wyoming. It’s a cool town so we looked for a room. Ended up in Rocket Motel. It’s run by a Jamecan family. Cool. I still wasn’t happy with the hydraulic clutch on the bike so I bleed it again. We went for a walk and found a cool little pub. We had a beer and some food then a one man band set up. He was really good and some other locals arrived and joined him with thier fidles and banjos. We had fun and ended up chatting with them a bit.

You might have to zoom this to read the glass
    CFAB568D-8E8A-478B-8422-F21F8D7EC063.jpeg
  3. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    The next morning we carried on towards Denver and ended up in Loveland.

We were riding thru the countryside and these critters kept popping up and down out of the ground. Patty was bouncing on the back of the bike asking what’s that what’s that? I pulled off the road and they all disappeared. I explained to her they are gophers. She asked why they ran away. I said wait.

Not a good photo. Patty was bouncing to see the gruffers. Umm, ya.
    30EA448C-8A5C-498E-9408-B5658B6CC8FD.jpeg
  4. STcorndog

STcorndog No destination

Oddometer:
    Prairie Dogs
    CRD likes this.
  5. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    After our stop in Loveland we kept heading west.

I love Colarado and wanted Patty to see a How beautiful it is
    D1C7B7D2-6439-4699-9FCA-5523D1671E4E.jpeg

50492DA3-254C-4065-9202-75C632DD3C22.jpeg

We rolled into Estes Park. It’s nice so I asked Patty if she wanted to camp there tonight. She said ok and we looked around for a campground. This would turn out to be a mistake.
    klaviator and Diddly like this.
  6. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We found an RV park that looked good. I went and asked if they had tent sites available. They did. Free wifi a swimming pool, firewood and a little shop with basic supplies. Nice couple that owned the place. No beer for sale but the lady told me where I could get some at a shop down the road. We pulled over to our tent site and I proceeded to set up camp.

A guy on a gold wing pulls up, stops and says hello. We chat a bit and he says he thought someone else was staying at this site. Bugger. I was one site off. We laughed and I moved to the correct site. He was waiting for some other friends to arrive at their site further down.

We jumped on the bike and went to get beer and something for dinner. Turns out the shop they told me about was kind of a farmers market. We got some fresh veggies and fruit to go with our canned dinner.

While we were getting ready to make dinner a young couple in a mini van pull into the site I had wrongly chosen. They had the mini van decked out pretty good for traveling. I said hello and they were very polite. Being a people expert and listening to their accent and the fact that they had a Swiss flag sticker on the mini van I was able to tell Patty they are from Switzerland. Turns out they were from France. The flag was on the mini van when they bought it.
  7. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We had a nice dinner and a few more goldwings went past to the other guys site. I grabbed a beer after dinner and walked ove to talk to the bike group. Cool guys. They were all childhood friends and got together once a year for a ride.

When we got back to our site a car had pulled into the site beside us and three guy were setting up a tent. I said hello and they were polite. I lite a little camp fire and we relaxed. The three guys ate and went to sleep early. Then it started. One of the guys was a snorer. Big time. No problem we can sleep with our ear plugs. Ear plugs weren’t enough. I couldn’t sleep so I got up and looked around. One of the guys was giving the snorer crap while the other guy took his sleeping bag to sleep in their car. And on the snoring went. I took a beer and went for a walk. Its about 10pm.

I’ve been around big RVs before and some are impressive. One of the couples had a greyhound bus sized unit that looked pretty nice. He had a sportster and a mini suv that he towed. They had the awning out, a full size gas bbq and we’re watching a movie on a 50 inch flat screen tv that hid in one of the side panels of the bus. I’m not sure if that counts as camping but to each their own I guess.

I could hear the lumber jack sawing trees from across the large RV site. People were looking where the noise was coming from. I walked up to the pool thinking maybe I would just sleep on one of the pool chairs. The gate was locked. I sat down on the path and opened my beer.

The free wifi didn’t work at the tent site but worked at the pool. I was not happy and the camping was giving Patty’s frozen should a lot of grief. I needed to figure out a solution. I had signed up for an Airbnb account previously but never used it. I got on the wifi and couldn’t access the account. No problem just set up a new account. And then the internet stopped. Of course it would at that moment. I finished my beer and looked for a garbage can to put the empty can
  8. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I found a garbage can next to the fire wood shack and noticed the cage had a lock but the lock was open. I thought well I’m not going to sleep anyway so I grabbed a bundle of wood and headed back to our tent. I would pay for the wood in the morning. I stoked up the fire and sat with my ear plugs in hoping the wind would blow the smoke on that guys tent
    klaviator likes this.
  9. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Before first light the French couple were up packed up and outa there. Patty didn’t sleep much even with her ear plugs and I maybe got an hours sleep total. We were packed up and ready to go shortly after sunrise. The guy on the gold wing walked over and asked if we got any sleep. I said no. He said us too.

Packed up, tired and pissed off I let the prick have an earful. People were staring at me. As we rode away most smiled at us and a few even waved.

I stopped at the office to pay for the extra wood I took. The nice lady said she was very sorry. I asked if that happened very often. She said no and offered to refund my money. I told her it wasn’t her fault. She refused to accept my money for the extra wood I took and insisted I take a refund. We went and looked for a McDonald for breakfast and free wifi
  10. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    With a belly full of egg McMuffin and black coffee I had a plan. Peak to Peak highway then turn right and point to Vail. I didn’t want to pay for a room in Vail but I figured we could just pull off a side road somewhere and camp in the bushes
    klaviator likes this.
  11. sledrydr

sledrydr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I didn’t want to pay for a room in Vail but I figured we could just pull off a side road somewhere and camp in the bushes[/QUOTE]

Hmmm? Wonder how that worked.. Vail. Home of the $9 hot dog back in 1987:rofl. Guessing its even crazier priced now. Probably get tossed in jail for stealth camping around there! Maybe not...
    Great report. Looking forward to the next installment.
  12. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I had found a website that listed the top 100 motorcycle roads in th US. Oddly enough a lot of the roads were in the area of Colorado that I had planned to show Patty. Peak to Peak was on the list and didn’t let us down.

2132F31D-321A-45E6-9C53-A3E76C065B82.jpeg

C9C7B152-F578-44C1-97BE-4971B5BD9A0F.jpeg

750A3B3B-CA8E-4235-B801-E7A674A6434E.jpeg
    klaviator, Diddly and MrKiwi like this.
  13. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We had passed an old guy on a pedal bike as we were going up the hill. It’s a bit steep. I don’t understand why people want to do that but I admired his determination.

Patty was trying to get a photo of a flower when the old guy caught up
    DC222F25-B88C-4022-8543-8F482443FD26.jpeg

Patty said hello to him with a smile. He said hello back. I asked him how his day was going? He pointed at my bike and said I’m buying one of those and peddled away. Patty and I burst out laughing.
  14. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We carried on. It was a beautiful day. We pulled into Georgetown and I needed gas. It looked like a cool little town so I asked Patty if she wanted to look for a room? She said let’s look. We rode around the little town and I spotted a brew pub and some cool little eateries. Ok, all we need is a room. The first place we decided would be ok was full. As we were leaving the parking lot a tour bus pulled up. I said to Patty good thing they are full, we don’t need that after last night. We went to the second choice hotel. Rooms available, clean bathroom and we can walk to the brew pub and restaurants. Done deal.

I get on the internet and open a new Airbnb account. Google maps consulted and I pick an area we should be able to reach the next day. I found a cool looking place and tried to book it. It has to be approved by the owner. No big deal. Beer time.

We walk to the brew pub and I sample some beer. I ended up talking to the owner and he spent a half hour explaining to me how to make beer. Cool.
    CF5ECD4B-04AE-4A00-82D5-1E22EAD13EDC.jpeg

We went and had some dinner then walked back to the room. I bought a six pack of some kind of pale ale at a small shop on the way.

We walk up to the hotel and there is a tour bus in the parking lot. Bugger! We get to the room and it’s a bit noisy. I say to Patty no problem we can turn the tv on to drown out the noise. I pick a random chanel, crack a can of beer and sit down on the bed with my iPad to see if the Airbnb lady had responded.

I woke up at 2am. In my clothes sitting on the bed. My iPad had fallen on the floor. Patty was dead asleep beside me wearing her ear plugs. The tv was still on. I looked at the open can of beer and took a sip. Yuck, warm beer. I poured it down the sink, had a pee and went back to sleep.
  15. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We wake up early due to the noisy tour group. Patty tells me she doesn’t like Chinese people when they travel in a group. Because I’m a foreign language expert I listen closely and tell her they are speaking Korean. She looks at me with disbelief. She worked for two years in Hong Kong and said they are speaking Cantonese. I said , well do you want a coffee or not? She said yes so I went to get coffee
  16. Folly1

Folly1 Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    You are doing a great job with you narrative and pictures. Wonderfully balanced and insightful. Do you think Customs ( US and Canada ) only hires asshats, or do they train to it?
    Anyway, thanks for making the effort.

Ben
  17. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Customs people are trained for it. It’s thier job. I don’t have anything to hide so it’s not a problem. The asshats in Vancouver are just that. Vancouver is one of the best city’s in the world in my view. I don’t understand why the customs are such a problem
  18. Bigbore4

Bigbore4 Long timer

Oddometer:
    OK, all caught up and I will tag along.
  19. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Curent time update in Northern Thailand.

Patty is building me the Great Wall of Thailand. This is why we are living in a hut and loving life
    30A84BEC-AC3C-4444-AF6E-6BDBF5B997DE.jpeg
    Lost Cartographer and klaviator like this.
  20. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    It’s all about the view we will have eventually
    78CE99C6-AEE7-4C1C-99A2-E8C7B3C21391.jpeg