Best day of my life

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Lopburi, Apr 27, 2018.

1. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Back to the story.

I go to the breakfast area at the hotel. Mayhem and food doesn’t look good. I know I can get Patty a good coffee at the gas station down the road so I go for a walk. They had nice sticky buns at the store. Patty likes sticky buns. Or maybe I like Patty’s buns. Anyway, I got sticky buns and coffee and went back to the room. We enjoyed our coffee and I checked my email.

I had a response from the Airbnb I had booked accepting us to stay there. Cool. We loaded the bike and headed to Vail for lunch
    Lost Cartographer and klaviator like this.
  2. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We had a nice ride into Vail. I had been there 20 years ago and liked the area. Umm, it’s changed a bit.

We ride around a little and it looks like I’m going to have to pay for parking so we can have a fancy lunch. I’m on a motorbike and this rubs me the wrong way. I like a good meal and don’t mind paying for a nice bottle of wine to go with it but... I ride the bike up onto the sidewalk. I see a security guard coming our way. I ask Patty what she thinks. She says let’s go somewhere else. I launch the bike off the sidewalk with the security guard in hot pursuit and we ride on
  3. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I need to get Patty food at some point. Did I mention she’s Thai and eats non stop? It’s kind of like a hippo and water. You must never get between a hungry Thai lady and food. I needed a solution. Quickly.

We pulled into a little town and it was kind of nice so I pulled over to have a look. There was a restaurant/pub looking place back up the road and some small funky shops down the road. We pulled into the restaurant and parked the bike. Free parking.

The bar maid was nice. Do you call it that now a days? I’ve been outside North America for a while and am not sure of the political correctness. Hostess? Waitress? Tall lady with flat shoes? Anyway she was a cool chick and made us laugh so she got a good tip when I paid the bill

I ordered a pizza and Patty went shopping.
    14F0FA4B-B3B8-4D5B-977C-EF22D900E1E6.jpeg
  4. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    With full belly’s we carried on.

It was a beautiful day. We rode along a small river and I saw a guy fishing so I pulled over.

Patty tried to get a “action shot”.
    7222E2D9-4989-414E-9020-3206E2A20F96.jpeg

I love this shit.

I went and talked to the fisherman. He was friendly and said the fish weren’t biting much today.

We carried on into Bueno Vista to find our Airbnb
    LoneWolf3, Ccceric, klaviator and 2 others like this.
  5. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I had never been to Bueno Vista befor. It’s a nice small town. The Airbnb lady had told me if she wasn’t there when we arrived her neighbour would let us in. We pulled up. She was just getting in her car to leave. She got us the key and gave us the tour.

We had use of the patio, gas bbq and charcoal bbq, herb garden on the side (please take what you want), small fridge and microwave in the room, free standing shower and another separate bathroom with a giant bath tub. The room was amazing and had a separate sitting area. We could use her washer and dryer for laundry. She showed me how to operate the hot tub on the patio. Did I mention the place was on a fairway of the local golf course? This costs the same as a crap hotel room? Seriously?

D3AC0B49-592D-4A25-B6A2-67046143F255.jpeg

I unloaded the bike and we went to town for groceries, beer and a bottle of wine. I had booked the room for two nights

4F10E1DA-2A3B-49E2-9A36-4F7D9B404CC4.jpeg
  6. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I bbq’d steak and Patty did a fish.
    F73E573C-95F2-47E0-85F1-F9F47D44178D.jpeg

We had a glass of wine in the hot tub because we are hardcore adventure bikers
    D6B0135F-3B20-40A5-90A8-9C05B492A9B0.jpeg
  7. ExplorerFrog

ExplorerFrog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One of hundreds of great roads in Northern Thailand. My wife is from that part of Thailand also.:clapGreat story so far.
  8. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    “One of hundreds of great roads in Northern Thailand. My wife is from that part of Thailand also.:clapGreat story so far.”

Drop by for a beer if your in the area
  9. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    In the morning I asked Patty what she wanted to do. It was another beautiful day. She said she wanted to relax. The owner of the Airbnb stopped and ask if everything was ok. Ya, very ok. I asked if we could stay a third night. No problem.

Patty relaxed and I jumped on the bike and went to explore the town some more. I needed a hair cut. I found the slowest old barber lady in the world. She was a character and explained her life story to me. It was cool but took way too long. I stopped and bought some more food because we only bought enough for a week the day before. I went back and we cooked more and relaxed
  10. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    The next day we slept in. I cooked some scrambled eggs on my trusty camp stove. Around lunch time I said to Patty let’s go to town. I knew there were some shops she could look around at and we could get something to eat at one of the restaurants.

There’s a river beside the town and Patty took the standard picture of a flower
    69D29E7F-A3C4-45FC-9343-DEEB1AB104FA.jpeg

This picture kind of sums up what she hears from me everyday
    3B9EB604-E216-4C99-A1C1-2EB30577FC70.jpeg

We had a nice lunch and went back to our Airbnb
  11. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    As I’m writing this Patty and I are looking through the photos. We’ve been living out of a suit case so to speak for a year now. Patty turns to me and says “I want to go back to colorado and see the gruffers”. I told her the gruffers weren’t in Colorado. She says I don’t care. I like the gruffers and Colarado. Hmmm
  12. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We get up the next morning and I have a plan. I start to load the bike and realize we have way too much food. What to do. The owner of the Airbnb comes along to say good bye. I ask her if she would accept our excess food as I can’t fit it all on the bike. She says gladly and wishes us a safe trip. Off we go
    LoneWolf3 and klaviator like this.
  13. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Black Canyon would be the first stop. It’s not bad if your into that kind of thing.

AE31F4C0-C3AE-4CD6-B196-4144D0FC5482.jpeg

I had been reading @flyingdutchman177 ride reports and tried to do a selfie thing. Sorry Ed, I got a picture other than just Patty
    A142D9E3-12CD-4D01-A2A2-3C074D22D1C3.jpeg
  14. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    There was basicly no traffic. I was recharged and the scenery was off the clock. I opened up the bike and had some fun. Patty didn’t complain. Eventually I realized I didn’t know where I was going. We needed a place with wifi so I could consult google maps
    LoneWolf3 and klaviator like this.
  15. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    I turned left. Eventually we rolled into dipshitville and I found a strip mall with a nice looking restaurant. There were a lot of churches around. We ordered cold drinks. I turned my wifi on and looked for the network. The waitress came with our drinks and I asked for the wifi info. I could see the restaurant name on the connections. She said we don’t have. Really? I explained to her the only reason we stopped was for lunch and to use wifi. She said we don’t have wifi even though I can see it on my phone. I said just get me the bill. There was a bit of comotion. The waitress came back and said the manager wouldn’t charge us for the drinks. I said I would pay for the drinks but you need to get free wifi. The McDonald’s across the road has it. The manager came over and said he wouldn’t accept our money and god bless you. We went to McDonalds and used the free wifi
  16. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    After consulting google I figured we could make it to Durango. I make custom golf clubs as a hobby and my main source of high quality club heads is Tom Wishon in Durango. We rode the 550 road thru red mountain.

Patty thought it was ok
    196D4ADF-B81E-4442-BEF9-825848BCF0B0.jpeg

And tried to get “the shot” of a flower
    71044321-153E-4A97-8F04-60DF8B97C2E1.jpeg
  17. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    We rolled into Durango. We passed a few hotels. I said to Patty that one looks ok and there is a restaurant right there. Patty said ok so I U turned. I’m not used to going backwards so this felt a bit odd. I roll up to the front door and go inside. No rooms. Turns out there is something happening today. I have no idea what day it is. I ask the young lady where we might find a room. She makes a phone call and says the place up the road has rooms. I ask if I can leave my bike and Patty and walk to check it out? Not a problem. The room was ok so I take it. We move the bike over and I proceed to turn the room into a refugee camp while Patty takes a shower.

I notice there is a black board on the wall. I’ve stayed in thousands of hotel rooms over the years and never had this. It’s sort of a family run place so it kind of makes sense

Patty is a good artist. I have a hard time drawing a stick man. I take a shot at the black board. Patty comes out of the shower and I say this is unbelievable. They drew a picture of us in the room.

3A909EE5-A3DE-4C1C-9128-9E309FB5F449.jpeg

I think I ace’d it!
  18. Romero

Romero At Cinépolis or OXXO Supporter

Oddometer:
    This RR is awesome!
    knight likes this.
  19. GregDavidL

GregDavidL Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, this is awesome.
  20. Lopburi

Lopburi Lost in paradise

Oddometer:
    Patty says “hey, we just got here. How can they know I look like that?” We had a good laugh then walked down the road looking for food. We found an average place and had a feed. Patty gave me crap. She had enjoyed the roads we did today and wanted to turn around and do them again. Really woman?