Best Dual Sport Jackets?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Canam44, Mar 31, 2006.

1. ThumperDRZ

ThumperDRZ Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer:
  2. Venteuri

Venteuri I don't give a shit

Oddometer:
    ONI, where can I find this jacket?
  3. greer

greer Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'd like a jacket that is NOT waterproof, but less pricey than the BMW gear. The Reissa lining in my Roadgear is absolutely waterproof, but it will not allow for any evaporation whatsoever. I got sweaty wrestling my bike on the trail, then nearly froze to death once the day began to cool off and it was time to ride home. I don't want to go thru that again. Any suggestions?? Thanks

Sarah
  4. greer

Oddometer:
    I was just thinking, my Oxtars are Goretex lined, waterproof, and they don't make my feet wet and clammy at all. So maybe it's the Reissa lining that's giving me trouble. When you look thru the vent mesh, it looks just like a white plastic garbage bag under there. And that's exactly what it feels like when you sweat in it. Lady-like or not, can we please talk sweat? Do you all have this trouble with the Gortex jackets??

Sarah
  5. SixDays02

SixDays02 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Wallet, mobile phone, drivers licence + documents, keys, some earplugs and cleenex are the only things i'm carrying in my pockets. Why? Because all hard objects placed inside your jacket will cause you serious problems in case of a crash.

Land on a bigger pocket camera (or a toolkit?!) and you'll end up with broken bones. This is why this jacket is completely wrong.
  6. SteveBroskey

SteveBroskey Teach me this knowledge

Oddometer:
    Glad to see bleakness put something out there about the FieldSheer Zero Condition (LINKY) jacket - how about the FieldSheer Quattro (LINKY) ? Has anyone used one of these? I've got the FieldSheer Booster Overpants (LINKY) going back for a return to motorcyclecloseouts.com - the Large Tall's were small in the waist (read: runs small) but good on length as far as overpants go. I'm thinking a Fieldsheer Jacket to match them and replace my impromptu purchase of my first Jacket, the Joe Rocket Alter Ego when I started riding last year.
    Quick review: In support of WebBikeWorld, the Alter Ego is fantastic for pretty much everything I've had to go through. Truly convertible, the lower portion of the textile fabric zips off for a 100+ degree trip to NYC where the airflow was zero and I was stuck in hot traffic. Great armor so far, no get-offs to test. Yamaha blue, and the removeable liner works for another layer of heating, or a rain layer if you want. (Used it on a roadtrip before I had separate rain gear.) It's just a bit short on my arms, and after a NY->NC 16hr trip this summer, I had tan rings around my wrists where the jacket ended before the gloves began. Something larger is in order, in addition to the Joe Rocket Gauntlets I got to match the jacket. ($40 locally) Darien eventually, I think - but for now, anyone have experience with the FieldSheer jackets listed above?
  7. cmack

cmack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sarah, if you haven't looked at the AST, take a serious look at it. I'm pretty close to a true 50/50 rider, and I've found it to be excellent. It's got a waterproof layer as a middle membrane in the jacket itself, and the removable jacket/liner doubles as another waterproof layer. Redundant, and not necessary when you're offroading :evil. The AST is by no means a lightweight jacket, but with the vents opened up, it vents better than anything I've ridden in. I've never experienced the clammy sensation in it on or offroad.
  8. rockt

rockt Long timer

Oddometer:
    How waterproof is the AST without the liner/jacket?
  9. decodent

decodent CyberGypsy

Oddometer:
    Cool in the summer. Warm in the winter. Waterproof. Great protection. Tons of pockets. Good fit. None of that zip-in-the-waterproof-layer b.s.

Bulletproof construction. It doesn't get any better ...
  10. cmack

cmack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've only had mine through one torrential downpour, but it kept me bone dry without the liner. Unfortunately, Atlanta hasn't seen much rain in the past 6 months!
  11. cmack

cmack Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No offense to the Stich guys, because I'm a "former" Darien owner myself, but the AST is what the Stich aspires to be PERIOD. More pockets, 5X better venting than either Darien or light, better CE armor, better abrasion resistance (500 cordura with 1000 cordura in wear areas vs. 500 all over for the Darien and 160 for the light), higher vis, better waterproofing (especially on the zippers), better comfort (although not as many fit options),and half the price when you factor in the lining. Stich was king of the hill for a long time, but it's time for them to evolve if they want to keep pace. For the price, I'd sooner buy a Motoport if I were to spend the extra $$$.
  12. HaChayalBoded

HaChayalBoded Brooklyn Bored

Oddometer:
    I only recently started using the liner, I've been in 6 hour downpours and ridden 300 miles in monsoon like rains, never had a drop of water penetrate me. The liner isn't what makes it waterproof. The shell itself is waterproof.
  13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  14. Zen Slug

Zen Slug Spineless Adventurer

Oddometer:
    the leatt-compatible ktm jacket must still be ordered from europe, afaik. you can find more info HERE

this one looks pretty cool, as well (acerbis "desertika" coming in 2008)

[​IMG]
  15. greer

Oddometer:
    Bill,

Thanks for the link. Do you have the Bushwhacker jacket? I tried on some Olympia gear one time at BMW Louisville and it looked to be top-notch stuff. I could tuck the liner away when I get to the trail. I may be too narrow-minded by discounting a jacket with built-in Goretex. It may have been the Reissa lining that was sweltering me.

Sarah
  16. dwayne

dwayne Silly Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I LOVE my Bushwacker! The coolest jackcet I have ever worn (the Kevlar Mesh from Motoport might be cooler). The liner does not breath at all though.
  17. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    My collection jackets I could open a shop with. I've got 2 different models of Belstaff [crap], two different FirstGear models [ok], an old DIFI 1000, now called a Motoport 1000 [great overbuilt monster], and a BMW Savanna 2. The Savanna 2 is by far the best made, most comfortable and most visible jacket [without looking like a silly looking safety vest laden rider]. It only lacks the Motoport's armour in the torso/ribs area. The price can be an issue with BMW, so look for sale prices. Of course, Savannas are gone now, so I guess a Santiago is close in comparison.
    Ciao, Steve
  18. Venteuri

Venteuri I don't give a shit

Oddometer:
    thanks
  19. xdbx

xdbx Motorcycle Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    I'm curious about those who take their hi-viz suits "dual-sporting". That seems like it'd be harder than white to keep clean. Am I wrong?

Surely one of you muddy bastards has a picture to go along with a story... :rofl
  20. SteveBroskey

SteveBroskey Teach me this knowledge

Oddometer:
    Bump - I'm curious about the same question....

And do the Aerostich Roadcrafters come with CE armor in them? I feel dumb asking, but after reading the site description, I can't really tell...

What is "TF" armor? the CE-rated stuff, or another type that's not going to provide the same level of protection? (MotorcycleCloseouts.com doesn't have the size boot I need, so that $$$ is going to a new suit .... maybe an Aerostich?)