Best Dual Sport Jackets?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Canam44, Mar 31, 2006.

1. Repko

Repko Adventurer wantabe

Oddometer:
    http://www.falvio.com/crash/

This is another great example of high quality but only 500D (double layers in places) & 1000D Cordura gear disintegrating in a crash! I sold mine.
  2. WickedChicken

WickedChicken just don't tell Mom...

Oddometer:
    Okay, I'm reviving this thread because I'm looking for suggestions on an off-the-shelf textile jacket that fits my frame ...which jackets fit best for someone who's broad in the shoulders and narrow in the waist?
    I'd love to hear from riders built similarly to me:
    6'1", 190ish lbs
    33" waist
    34/35 dress shirt sleeves
    44L suit coat fits great in the shoulders, too loose in the gut.

My experience is that most textile jackets that fit across my upper back/shoulders are way too loose in the body...I swim in them. And the reverse it true--I can find sizes that fit well around midsection...but they're constricting across the shoulders and often the arms are too short. Unfortunately my quick try-ons of Olympia's gear as well as some First Gear and Joe Rocket stuff fall into these compromises.

Anyone else have an athletic build and find a jacket they're happy with? A Sub-$300 budget means Rev'It, 'Stich, R2P, etc aren't in the cards. BUT extra bonus points for sharing your sizing expertise on BMW's Santiago, which can occasionally be seen on fleabay for a decent price.
  3. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    I'm looking at the KTM branded Thor and also the Klim dual sport jackets and pants.

Are you guys wearing pressure suits underneath? Most of these do not have padding in them.
  4. dstock

dstock Adventurer n00b

Oddometer:
    I guess I read this differently, the rider had very little injury related to anything disintegrating and indicated he would wear all the same gear again.
  5. BOSERO

BOSERO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I got a Spidi Netwin. Love it.

[​IMG]
  6. Mugwest

Mugwest "You mean the REAL world!?"

Oddometer:
    Thought about making a new thread for this, but seeing that this old one was bumped, i'll add in here to augment my own post in this thread re: the HG Tim AIR

I commute/ride street a couple hundred miles a week in a Timbuktu AIR. I never ride w/o some form of armored jacket, and use a Koerta suit in the woods.

It's hot in Florida in summer, duh-squared. The Tim AIR, as i posted previously and many know, is mostly mesh and flows air like a sumbitch. Well enough that even stuck at traffic lights in near 100F conditions i can deal. Once moving it's like someone knocked the AC down to 60 :nod

As much as i have loved the AIR and touted its versatility (i live in one from May-early October down here), there was always a glaring shortcoming with it: no means of cinching the sleeve armor down tight to keep from rotating in a biff. The full-weight Timbuktu has one of the best cinch set-ups ever made: beefy velcro straps running thru a plastic D-loop at both the forearm and the bicep, making it possible to get that armor in place and stay there. The Tim AIR does not, leaving the heavier CE-turtle forearm/elbow armor flopping around in the sleeve like so much fat.

I'd talked w/ Annie last year about modding the Tim-AIR w/ cinch straps similar to the full-Tim. She was willing to try it, but we both realized it was going to be some serious re-engineering sewing to do it, mainly due to all the layers of mesh liner, pockets for the armor etc. With all those pocketed areas you'd have to essentially seam-rip the entire sleeve apart just to be able to sew a strap deal to the outer material. We let the idea die as too much BS.

Yesterday i was in a car-jam and took off across an old parking lot to access a shortcut thru some buildings that i knew. I'm clipping along this lot at about 15mph and hit a well-camouflaged swath of fine gravel-- looked just like the surrounding asphalt so i did not see the change in surface. In a lick the GS knifed it's bald Anakee front under and the back came around for a textbook lowside in front of all the nice people still stuck in the traffic jam. :rilla

I got the bike up quickly and knew i had rash on my right forearm. I did'nt check my shit and just assumed the pain was a friction burn from my elbow rubbing the armor at impact. Got outta there and made my shortcut after all that fine display of asphalt-sampling :lol3

Once home i studied all the gear as it came off: gloves, non-issue as hands never hit. Jacket: now whyTF is there a hole in the cuff on top of my wrist?? (like where a watch might sit) I pull the jacket off and see that i have 3" of bloody rash at the back of my forearm, just in front of the elbow. Elbow not even sore so i knew i impacted w/ my forearm (niiice landing!). I quickly saw what had happened: the sleeve was pulled up and rotated as my arm hit the ground, such that the hole on top of my wrist was the actual contact point for my forearm/elbow. Pull yr sleeve all the way up to yr elbow to get an idea

the crux is that my excellent CE armor for forearm and elbow ended up being pushed up to my shoulder, where of course it was less than useless. The only thing briefly between my skin and the pavement was the lightweight nylon of the non-ballistic sleeve upper material. The 500weight cordura was not even touched (being that it was up at my shoulder at the time :bluduh)

This to me points out a huge shortcoming in many of the jackets we have been discussing over the years. A few snap-positions to tighten the sleeves up are better than nothing, but i'm floored that nobody seems to offer the full arm circumference cinch straps that the full-weight Timbuktu offered. Once tight, that shit is going nowhere. And yet you don't see that design in any of the popular DS jackets (even the vaunted BMW and Rukka gear). It's snaps or nothing, apparently

I'm thinking of seeing if annie will tackle a full sleeve-ectomy of full-Tim sleeves onto a Tim-AIR. That would result in perhaps the perfect hot-weather mesh 3/4 enduro jacket. In all other ways the Tim-AIR is a fantastic piece of kit. I broke my clavicle in the Tim-AIR offroad last summer, and i'm convinced the beefy CE shoulder armor kept that injury from being worse (augered in on the shoulder)

My advice is to look for some means of tightening those sleeves, folks. The best/spendiest armor in those sleeves will be tits on a bull useless if they rotate in an off (likely). Had my biff yesterday been faster, i'd have a seriously munched right arm right now :nod

Get those sleeves cinched!! Even if it means mods

MRP
  7. Xplorr

Xplorr hoi polloi

Oddometer:
    I like my Joe Rocket Ballistic 7.0. check it out. cheers
  8. onesaintsfan

onesaintsfan BigJohnHart

Oddometer:
    McComb MS, where men are men and sheep are nervous
    Buy the best the first time and you won't regret it!\

Aerostich Darien Jacket and Pants w/ standard liner. Period !
  9. CR_TurboGuy

CR_TurboGuy Iowhat?

Oddometer:
    Though not exactly DS, I'm VERY happy w/ my Motoport Air Mesh Kevlar jacket. It flows air like crazy, which is great in humid azz Iowa in the middle of summer, though it gets damned chilly when the temps start to drop. I lucked out & picked up a full suit on eBay for ~$450, keep your eyes open & you might be able to score a good deal too.

--JOsh
  10. myblubeemer

myblubeemer MOA, IBA Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    The problem you had with the sleeve riding up is exactly why I use a MSR jacket over a Velocity Gear armor....the armor isn't goint anywhere and the jacket is comfortable.

jwat
  11. stroming it softly

stroming it softly twins forever

Oddometer:
    Acerbis Koerta pressure suit under everything. When it is really hot, as it is now here in Tucson, I am wearing a Klim ventilated shirt over it. When it isn't so hot or when on a road trip I wear a normal jacket over it with the jacket armor removed. Yeah, it gets hot in traffic but when you are moving it is just fine. This has solved the problem of armor shifting around in my jackets as the pressure suit keeps it where it needs to be and I can wear whatever I want over it. I have used this set up in all types of weather and conditions and it works just fine, just add some fleece if cold, a water resistant liner if raining, it works fine dual sporting, road riding, dirt only, whatever. I really believe that this a great piece of all around equipment that offers maximum protection.
  12. DakarNick

DakarNick Swabee

Oddometer:
    What do you do for pants (I know this is a jacket thread)? But I'd like to do this when I have to take a lot of pavement before I hit the trails.
  13. stroming it softly

stroming it softly twins forever

Oddometer:
    The pants are a problem for sure. I wear Bohn adventurer shorts and strap on knee/shin guards with Klim mohave pants when riding ds locally. Actually I wear the Bohn shorts all the time when riding, on the road I wear BMW summer pants over them although they aren't real cool they are ok when moving. Pants are a problem for several reasons, they all come in black with one or two exceptions and most don't ventilate very well and if they do they offer very little protection. Still looking for the perfect hot weather pant!
  14. snare

snare sittin and breathin

Oddometer:
    There is no way to get the full advantage of a heated vest or sleeved liner though, is there? Since they work best when close to the skin.

I really want to get a Koerta for all around use (I tend to lean towards protection first...I wear MX boots and knee guards for all of my riding for example) and the heated gear issue (I ride all year round, no car) seems to be my sticking point.
  15. clintnz

clintnz Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer:
    I have the same problem & I'm not all that broad shouldered, I think all moto jackets are made for fat bastards.

I really like my Teknic Sprint. It doesn't have the 'adv look' or many pockets but the waterproof outer, mesh inner & thermal liner all work well to make it super versatile. I've done 20K miles in it now & a couple of decent crashes onto tarmac which it soaked up well. The unvented panel in the front means it's probably not for someone wanting to use it in mesh mode all the time but for me in the NZ climate it has been great.

[​IMG]

I got a very roomy fit so I could wear plenty of clothes under it in winter, if I was buying one again I'd go a size down as it is really warm when fully assembled & I don't need as many layers underneath as with my old cordura jacket.

Cheers
    Clint
  16. swingset

swingset Got the knack.

Oddometer:
    Can't speak highly enough of my Fly Patrol jacket. Tho no the priciest or fanciest, it's proven to be versatile, rugged and has held up to my rides very well. Atomic Moto has great deals on them, too and good ADV vendor to boot.
  17. Michelangelo

Michelangelo 2 wheel rider...anytime..

Oddometer:
    My favorite all around riding jacket, esp for adventure/dual sport is Tour Master Transition II. Very affordable and awesome fit with features.
  18. dirtdoug

dirtdoug Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just orders my Tourmaster T2 yesterday for my early B-day present from my wife, I can&#8217;t wait to tell her what she bought me. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p>
  19. JRWooden

JRWooden Homeless motorcycle vagabond ... and ... loving it

Oddometer:
    Doug, Doug, Doug.....
    I can't beleive this crap....
    You KNOW that what you REALLY wanted a new set of sterling silver.... :lol3
  20. dirtdoug

dirtdoug Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    This is true, but the transition 2 will do.