best earbuds for under helmet??

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by therm, May 26, 2015.

1. bluemax151

bluemax151 青空

Oddometer:
    I use Audio-Technica noise cancelling headphones (ATH-ANC23) with Comply foam tips. Runs on a single AAA battery. I like them because they fit comfortably for me and the AAA battery can easily be replaced. The instructions specifically state not to use rechargeable batteries so that could be a drawback for some. I paid ~$50 a year ago and now it appears they can be found cheaper. Haven't experienced any QC as of yet but the online reviews I read before purchase were mixed.
  2. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:

How does the noise cancellation feature work? What kind of helmet and wind protection?

Thanks

Rick G
  3. bluemax151

bluemax151 青空

Oddometer:
    From a technical stand point? Or do you mean how well?

I have 2 bikes. An F4i with the stockwind screen and a KLR650 with the Kawasaki "tall" windscreen. 2 helmets as well and both loud because they're modular. LS2 FF386 and a Scorpion EXO-AT950. The LS2 is LOUD and the quality is cheap like the price but I like the fit and it's narrow so the helmet fits in my KLR top box. The Scorpion is an all around better helmet but doesn't fit in the box as the shell is physically too large.

The headset certainly doesn't cancel as much noise as it claims but you can hardly hear the KLR thumping with it active. Since it runs on 1 AAA battery you can always swap it out if it goes flat on the road.
  4. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’m interested in this for one reason. The stock Sena helmet speakers are barely adequate for voice and terrible for music. I love the idea of noise cancellation too.

I can understand a plug in ear bud, just plug into Sena, right? Disconnects the speakers. I have the Sena 30K.
    How do you do this when putting helmet on? Place buds in ear first while plugged into Sena, then put helmet on?

If I get Bluetooth ear buds do they pair with the Sena 30? Does that turn off the Sena speakers? I don’t want to lose the intercom with my riding buddies.

Thanks.
  5. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, Too far to the mountains and too cold
    I have two Senas, SMH-10 and 20S. I run earphones almost all the time. I put the earphones in my ears, wrap the cable over my ears and then put my helmet on. 95% of the time, they stay put. Wrapping them over the ears reduces the chance of them being pulled out when the helmet goes on and also reduces the noise transmitted by the cabling (microphonics).

I found the best ones for under the helmet (other than the long gone Er-6i) are the S-Plug. They are very small, so fit under the helmet with no issues and the dual driver model has great sound. Most others contact the Sena speakers which become quite painful after a day of riding.

I have some ANC-23's and some Bose 20's both of which I plan on trying out this year but both will probably require removal of the Sena speakers to create enough room.

You can't get BT earphones to pair with Sena.
  6. scfrank

scfrank Old farts riding club. Supporter

Oddometer:
    So, I guess that means wired to keep the intercom.
  7. BillMoore

BillMoore Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of the Bose QC-20s, and while the noise reduction on them is very impressive, the popping noises at highway speeds just were too much, so they are just sitting in a drawer, and I'm back to the Sena speakers with Mighty Plugs.
  8. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I’ve owned the Etymotics Er6i that were the standard for years before being discontinued but couldn’t ever wear them for more than about 4-5nrs per day without my ears becoming tender. I’m the same way with earplugs. I’ve tried quite a few and it seems like all of them are fine for a few hours then my ears become sore. Anyone else have this issue and know of a fix for this? I hate riding without so I typically just bare the pain. But there has to be a solution. I just haven’t found it yet.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  9. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have you tried custom ear plugs?
    I've had the expensive, professionally done name brand ones and the $10 do it yourself ones I got off Amazon and actually preferred the cheap ones, I'm going to try and make a set that incorporates my Bluetooth ear buds.
    Only possible problem is the drivers case (speakers) for my ear buds is odd shaped and slightly larger then the pair I've done this with in the past
  10. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    Yes I’ve tried the custom ear plugs. At least the DIY ones and for me they were the worst ones I’ve ever had. They felt great until i put on a helmet then my ears got super sore quicker than foam ear plugs. The best thing I’ve found so far are the Howard Leight Laser lite foam ear plugs but even on my 6hr commute to work about the 5hr mark I’m feeling them an can’t wait to pull them out. I’m not sure if it’s just something your ear builds up to over time and get use to it or if I just haven’t come across the right ones yes. I’ve tried SPlugs also. They didn’t work either. If at all possible I’d like to find ear phones that work. Then i don’t have to crank the Cardo PackTalk all the way up. I can listen to music with my foam ear plugs and the PackTalk but not any podcasts which is what I’d rather listen to. The podcasts voices are just not loud enough. But the music for some reason is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  11. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been using a Bluetooth with ear buds with expanding foam tips

This Bluetooth because it had the highest water resistance rating I could find

LEOPHILE EEL Wireless Neckband Headphones Sports IP67 Waterproof, Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo Headset with In-Ear Earbuds Earphones for RUNNING & WORKING - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WD1DQY2?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

And these foam tips

Comply Foam Premium Earphone Tips - Isolation T-400 (Black, 3 Pairs, Medium) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002NUJ2RM?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

The Bluetooth works well decent range not great but it's hooked up to my phone that's on me anyway and the battery life is great

I got the foam tips to cut down won't noise, the rubber ones that came with the Bluetooth didn't seal well enough, the only problem with this is the foam tips break down kind of quickly. I wear them to work, a little bit at work and then on the ride home, one set of foam tips last about 1 month until they start completely falling apart, also they start coming apart from day one, little by little, leaving little tiny pieces of foam inside your ear, so not ideal.
    Non of this setup is the most comfortable I've used. My LG tones got fried in the rain but they were more comfortable while putting my helmet on or taking it off, both are about the same when I'm actually going down the road.

On the Bluetooth I left a link for you'll notice the part that goes in your ear is shaped a little odd so it'll be a little harder to make the custom ear plugs into custom ear bud tips, but I'm going to try that this Thursday evening after work.

Good luck in your search, I would recommend trying the custom ear plugs again, preferably with help from someone who has made them to their satisfaction before
  12. Captain Obvious

Captain Obvious GO SHOCKS!

Oddometer:
    Not real invested in this thread (haven't read the whole thing), but does anyone know why Entymotic seems to be falling by the wayside with regards to evolution and new tech?

I've had a couple of sets, as has my wife, and for years they seemed to be one of the audiophile earbud options. Really been happy with them sound-wise. My current set is dying an untimely death because the wires are strangely and frustratingly falling apart by seemingly being looked at wrong, but that's another discussion.

I'd like a wireless, battery powered bluetooth set of earbuds for riding the bike, working in the yard, etc., and looking at Entymotic's website is the same as it would have looked maybe 10 years ago. Really close to just saying the heck with it and buying a cheap ($30-ish), decently reviewed set like something from Anker.
  13. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would, I got the pair that I linked above because I thought they would last and they have a good warranty, they sound better then the LG tones that they replaced, besides you can't really appreciate the fine details that separate good headphones from great headphones when your outside mowing your lawn or riding a motorcycle.

I do mis the ability to retract the ear bud cables like I did on my LG Bluetooth, otherwise the set I have now is better
  14. outty

outty (☞゚ヮ゚)☞

Oddometer:

You commute 6 hours to work?
  15. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    Yes. I live in Utah and am a Fireman in Los Angeles County.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  16. Shuffler

Shuffler Hommes Grande

Oddometer:
  17. TeneRay

TeneRay Bitch, I'm fabulous

Oddometer:
    Sony sells a pair at Walmart. I think it's $15 for a pair and $30 for the same pair with an inline volume control. I then plug it into a bluetooth receiver that fits into my jacket where I can reach it to control the pause/play. Does a good job blocking outside noise and still slim enough to fit in the helmet without interfering the helmet padding.
  18. Taoshum

Taoshum Adventurer

Oddometer:
  19. cessnadog

cessnadog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was a custom earbud fan until I got a pair of S Plugs when I broke my good custom buds. Sound deadening is very close to the same and the s Plugs are all day comfortable. Plus they fit all the way into the ear so my helmet goes on and off easy.
    Mr. Canoehead and Stoshu like this.
  20. peterman

peterman cop magnet

Oddometer:
    Springfield,,,,like the Simpsons,,,orygun
    I'd get some build in phones,might have to get an oversized helmet,,so you can have room for magnum volume capacity!
    then, I'd amp them fuggers up so loud that semi truck drivers would hear my music playin' when I pass them.
    I damn sure don't want any contact noise happening that might connect me to the world I'm riding in,,blast that shit away with rock and roll turned up to 11.