best earbuds for under helmet??

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by therm, May 26, 2015.

1. PatrickVoegeli

PatrickVoegeli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I‘m using the Alpine Moto safe race. I‘m quite happy, but I don‘t how they‘ve aged, they now have a light brownish colour. I like that you don‘t feel disconnected to the outer world and the ears can breath, unlike with the foam ones.

I plan to get some custom ones, probably the bachmaier helmet, with a SNR of 26dB (the alpine ones do have 20dB).
  2. FirePig

FirePig Ah'm a pig. Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sort of late to this conversation but just saw it as I was looking around.

I race Baja and I use a navigation app called Lead Nav and a Klipsch R6 neckband earbud system. https://www.amazon.com/Klipsch-R6-N...e=UTF8&qid=1543252241&sr=1-4&keywords=Klipsch

The R6 has been superseded by the 12, which I have not tested, and you can currently get it for about $70.00 as opposed to about $250.00 for the 12. Don't know how long the 6 will be available though.

I run the app on an iPhone in my backpack that bluetooths audible navigation and danger warnings to the Klipsch.

The earbuds sit comfortably inside my helmet and in spite of bouncing around the neckband stays put and doesn't chafe. I get clear audio despite an unmuffled race bike. Battery lasts over 24 hours.
    SmittyBlackstone likes this.
  3. Tripndrag

Tripndrag Tripndrag

Oddometer:
    What ever earbud you go with, this is the single biggest improvement I have found:

https://www.amazon.com/Earphone-Pre...d=1543345812&sr=1-4&keywords=foam+earbud+tips

Foam style tips. Very inexpensive to try. If you can find a good sealed earbud that sounds great and then put these tips on and they will sound is even better. They are very similar to the foam ear plugs you wear for hearing protection but they are much stronger. If you have a good sealed earbud it is just like putting ear plugs in. You can have your music much quieter and still hear it just fine, lots of different sizes so you can make them comfortable in your ear.

I had some very old Radio Shack earbuds that I used for a long time but the foam broke down. I have tried the company that make the safety ear plug head phones and they are ok, it seems the speakers they use are kind of large and they start hurting my ears.

My helmet hits the buttons on the part that goes around my neck on my bluetooth current bluetooth headphones. They are the retractable type. I really want to find some in ear buds tiny bluetooth headphones to try next. I want to see if I can find some where I can use the foam tips.

I may try these next:
    https://www.earfuze.com/collections/all-products/products/fuze-bluetooth
    gepenunes likes this.
  4. legrena

legrena ex-Thruxton

Oddometer:
    But these are just ear plugs, or?
  5. PatrickVoegeli

PatrickVoegeli Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Oh, my bad! Sure, they’re only plugs.

In this case, I’d recommend to switch to plugs + in helmet speakers. These days sena does some affordable stuff, and I’d say you get a better system.

Patrick
    legrena likes this.
  6. legrena

legrena ex-Thruxton

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the clarification. I started looking them up and was like...???...

I use a set of Altec in ear with foam that isolated very well. the cord is cloth wrapped, and the audio is high quality. Just can't ride much more than 6-7 hours without ear pain. I seen all the review on the Sure 215 but damn, that's not cheap! You may get what you pay for...I supposed I will wait it out, use my Altecs and deal with the pain for a while longer.
  7. epyonxero

epyonxero Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. gepenunes

gepenunes Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not exactly the same but I have a similar ones, and they don’t work. My problem is that the part that protrudes from the ear is just a little bit to big and keeps getting pulled down or out by the helmet when putting it/ using. I haven’t solve the great debacle of what earphones to wear either but one of these days I’ll just go into a music store and get a pair of those in ear phones that musics use in concert. The best part is that it will add to the rock‘n roll feel of being a biker
  9. webnetxpress

webnetxpress Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My 2 pennies worth. Go with custom molded if you really want excellent sound quality and hearing protection. Over the years I've used foamies, earbuds, noise "canceling" ear buds and even the custom molded earplugs that you buy the kit on amazon for about $10. The $10 amazon were the best I could find. I would use those with the intercomm speakers and found you could actually hear the intercomm and music better than without (I suspect cutting the wind noise was the benefit??)

After I started racing offroad seriously, I wanted something a bit better to get rid of the race pipe noise. And still be able to use the intercomm on training rides with buddies.
    I went with the PlugUp custom molded earbuds. ( http://www.plugup.com/ )

I started with their "S Plug" tiny little earbuds. used those for a month or two and didnt love them as much as other people did (they tended to shift in my ears while riding). So i traded them in for a set of custom molded ones (you get a full credit towards the molded ones which is nice). I didnt have the time to see them at a show to get the molding done by them, so they sent me a kit and I did them myself (with some help from the wife;) Sent in the molds and a week or two later I had a package with my custom molded ones. I opted for the single speaker driver, stereo set. They work FANTASTIC. As soon as they go in, they cut noise way better than any foam I've ever used. In fact I use them on the job when I'm at the range (shooting), on airplanes, etc. I have to turn my intercomm all the way down and can listen to the music just fine and talk with other intercomm users perfectly.

here is a picture of me, you can see the red molded plug in my ear (the left side is a different color). These are similar to musician custom molded ear monitors, sort of. I have used these for a year and no problems. I'm actually ordering a second set to have as a spare just in case I break a cord or something during a race. PSX_20190331_195347.jpg
  10. Clambucket

Clambucket Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I recently purchased a set of Snugphones from Amazon and must say they really work well for me. Snugphones
    are very minimal in size and truly do double as earplugs. You really have to make sure they are inserted fairly “deep”
    in the ear canal to fully function as they should. With that said, they do stay put when you put your helmet on
    and provide pretty decent audio. I’m using them with a iPhone 10s for music and GPS. Works pretty slick!
    Now for the gripe: the cord with controls and microphone for me, are placed to close to the earbuds themselves.
    When your helmet (fullface) is on, the volume/control button are very close to the base of the helmet.
    You just have to be aware of this and definitely not a deal breaker and your results may differ.
    A bit pricey ($67.00) from Amazon for what they are, but they are so far, the best plugs / buds I’ve used.
    All in all, pretty comfortable and function well. Ride safe, Ride often!
  11. Pdrhound

Pdrhound Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I use complys on 2 different sets of ear plugs. There are many different sizes and shapes. The first ones i had i didnt like much, but when i found the right ones they are great. Look for 3 packs of different sizes. Im usings the comfort style in large size and 400 style for my head phones.

https://www.amazon.com/Comply-Earph...AQU2V38?ref_=bl_dp_s_mw_2529183011&th=1&psc=1

Still using my ifrogs ear plugs. The speaker is easy to place right in front of my mouth in my helmet and the people I speak to dont even know im riding. Looks like my style is dis continues but lokk for the design with the 2 wires com8ng from the same spot in the microphone.

Link to my favorite phone mount as well. Cant find mine for a week????? So i ordered a new one ASAP. Never had phone come out on dirt bike or the tenere. Ram has excellent customer service as well.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0088LL7UA?ref=ppx_pt2_mob_b_prod_image
  12. ddarkone7

ddarkone7 yamaha xmax 300

Oddometer:
    Do they fit under a full face helmet without pain
  13. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    Mine do.
  14. Joe?

Joe? ...

Oddometer:
    Yes. They've updated the body of the headphone and it's now a little bigger but it fits without issue. I use a finger to hold them in place as I slide the helmet over my ears. Once you get the hang of it it's easy to get it right on first try.
    ddarkone7 likes this.
  15. Oilhed

Oilhed MarkF Supporter

Oddometer:
    I got the flat in the helmet speakers. The wire is coiled like an old telephone. I like the speakers cuz I can still wear soft earplugs.

I recently got a helmet with a Sena and sold my Adv bike so the old helmet gets little use. Until I buy a Vespa!
    ddarkone7 likes this.
  16. atc250r

atc250r Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have $800 Sensaphonics. Then I tried Bose QC-20’s. I haven’t used my Sensaphonics since, and I doubt I’ll ever use them again. When these Bose fail, I will buy a new set. Yes, they are THAT good. And they have a 30-day money back guarantee, so why not try them? They are amazing in my Schuberth C3 and with ComplyFoam Isolation tips.
    I wouldn’t however recommend them if you have an open face helmet, or poor wind protection.
    Dragon Rider likes this.