1. Adventure Rider Print Magazine!
    We're doing a print magazine this November - 128 pages of high quality adventure riding stories, photography and interviews!

Click here to purchase a copy for $9. Limited copies still available.
    Dismiss Notice

best earbuds for under helmet??

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by therm, May 26, 2015.

1. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I've been using a similar pair for around a year (no longer available)

LEOPHILE EEL Wireless Neckband Headphones Sports IP67 Waterproof, Bluetooth 4.1 Stereo Headset with in-Ear Earbuds Earphones for Running & Working - Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WD1DQY2/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_tS2fEbJWY13ND

after adding custom car plugs on the ends, I recently crushed the wire in a door (frunk on my NC700X) cutting the outside sheath, the wires are exposed (not the actual metal wire) so I'd imagine that's going to hurt the water proof level but so far they're still working fine, I'm still planning on getting the pair I posted in the next month or two and I'll give my old pair to one of my kids or my wife, they'll never get wet with them using them, I've killed two pairs of Bluetooth due to riding in the rain, that's whya high level of water resistance is important to me
    Peels likes this.
  2. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yeah i abuse the hell out of mine... Thats why I think cheap, I couldn't stomach if I did that to a 200$ pair of BOSE or Whatever.... and looking at them and other expensive units didn't prove any longevity to me. Just sound quality. The waterproof ones seem to dies the fastest(almost always the right earpiece on LG's and within 4-5 months)

I may try those you linked earlier...

Because it looks, truly, like LG are the only "reputable" brand to still make exactly what I want AND sell at Target..Wife is an exec there i get 10% off. so when a set goes clearance I have her pounce on them lol. the last LG tone active, I just threw away today after BOTH earpieces died, were only $19! They do sell skullcandy but something didn't feel right about those... expensive price for cheap because of cool logo...

the big things are the shallow, low profile earbud, so many companies make them HUGE, and the neckband battery because it can hide below my jacket, and it allows for bigger capacity for run time.... also, i leave i around my neck all day at work, I'm in and out of loud areas. Podcasts... phone calls...

She bought me the bose soundsport (i think) on a QVC deal for xmas - I was sorta sad to have to tell her they wont work at all... think "comfortable in a full face helmet for 10 hrs" then shop for them lol

thanks again.
  3. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    LG are the first ones I killed due to moisture and that was just dense fog but for $65 or so (this was years ago now) they worked great and after they dried out completely they worked again lol

I actually still use them when driving in the car and I think I've had them over 3 years, physically broke them once (glued) and killed due to moisture (let them dry) and they still work perfectly and still have decent battery life

The ones I currently have (no longer available) sound good but not great, if you have more control such as :https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.maxmpz.audioplayer Capture%2B_2020-01-09-10-31-06.jpg

That'll make a big difference

With Bluetooth headphones (I've had around 20 now) waterproof level hasn't affected sound quality but does slightly effect call quality (how well the person on the other end hears you) but still not terrible, it's a slight flaw I'll happily except for my headphones to not die while riding in the rain

For the record, I've had 3 Bose 3 Jawbone that were far more expensive and were in no way superior to headphones that you can get for $35 or less now days, if your a real audiophile you'll want wired cans or headphones with above average drivers but the quality vs cost us steep, as in it costs a lot more for quality to be noticeably better, usually at least, I've found a couple of deals on wired headphones that are above average for cheap
    Peels likes this.
  4. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
  5. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:
    the "JAybird" set I got were pretty cool and had an EXCELLENT interface similar to that. infinitely customizable. Metal case on the earpiece, fit fine in the ear and helmet-very compact.. but.. POORLY placed spot for the manual controls made them unusable. caught the wind yanked out, rammed the buttons up against my helmet, I assumed theyd just get wet.... I just returned them after one test ride. think I got em on sale for 25.

https://www.amazon.com/Jaybird-Free...=jaybird&qid=1578596544&s=electronics&sr=1-17

I dont REALLY care about sound quality. i mean it helps... but. Its more for hearing protection and fighting fatigue.. the sport screen on my roadster is NOISY. Dont often make calls on them but its nice to be able to.

think im on my 10th pair. Motorola HOOKED me with the "buds" I broke a pair they replaced. broke (yanked wire) again two years later, they no longer had a comparable product, tried to give me the individual earbuds - I hate them. So i just keep trying to repeat that magic ever since with other brands. lol
  6. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    The controls are from an app I use to listen to music not a physical device. It just helps to optimize the sound, it sucks when your headphones lean heavily one way or the other very bass heavy or to much treble, just to even things out without making them flat
  7. Cam

Cam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I am sure these have been mentioned. I use the Shure SE215 bluetooth. The mic is functional enough to skip songs and such with voice control but isn't great talking to people on the phone. They sound great and I typically get 6+ hours on the battery.
    Peels likes this.
  8. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:
    yep thats the interface i meant.... on the phone. it was pretty cool. thats why i was so bummed they didnt work lol

Based on reviews here and elsewhere...I asked for those for xmas. i'm too cheap to go buy them myself, and didnt get em lol And battery life is a big thing for me.... 6 hrs probably wont do it.
  9. Cam

Cam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I charge them while eating and taking breaks. Every 15 minutes of charging yields 2 hours of play so if you eat something for half an hour add on 4 hours of time. Also, they have gone well past 8 hours for me but I don't want to oversell them. For $30 you can also pick up the wired option and make them wired in seconds by swapping the cable.
    Peels likes this.
  10. Cam

Cam Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  11. flyinlow

flyinlow Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've been using these since last spring and pretty satisfied. Good battery life, cuts wind noise, decent audio quality, and the winner for me is they stay in place when taking the helmet on and off (Shoei GT Air that is snug at the neck opening).

https://www.amazon.com/Skullcandy-Bluetooth-Sweat-Resistant-Microphone-Rechargeable/dp/B01DWHPMEG
    Peels likes this.
  12. Peels

Peels Long timer

Oddometer:
    those look alright as well... the shape of the earpiece is odd, to me... Do they seal in the ear well and block out noise?
  13. wasuiniu

wasuiniu me and my brothers and Son Supporter

Oddometer:
  14. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the wired MEE and they work quite well. I also have the SHURE 215 and they sound REALLY good. Both fit under an ARAI helmet. A thin skull cap goes a LONG way toward making donning/doffing the helmet without dislodging the buds much easier.
  15. flyinlow

Oddometer:
    The earpiece is at an angle, so it does look odd. Fits my ear canal well and provides a good seal.
    45E9692D-2CE4-4E38-A005-2B71F9F4BC03.jpeg

Attached Files:

16. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    What tips are those?
  17. Scotty707

Scotty707 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The Koss KSC-75 (https://www.amazon.com/Koss-KSC75-Portable-Stereophone-Headphones/dp/B0006B486K) are allegedly the same driver as the PortaPro, but come in a clip-on form that fits under a helmet.

I use Sennheiser CX 3.00 earbuds (https://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-C...words=sennheiser+cx2.00&qid=1578726218&sr=8-3) with the factory tips replaced by triple-flange tips to further block road noise (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GCSFUIQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1).
    Rippin209 likes this.
  18. flyinlow

Oddometer:
    They come with the kit.
  19. tupdegrove

tupdegrove Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Been using these standalone (no neck band) wireless earbuds for 30 minute commute using "memory foam" tips to listen to podcasts. I use my index finger to keep them in place when putting on helmet. They do come out of the ear when removing helmet. Google Assistant is only able to recognize my voice when stopped with the bike idling. It doesn't work when riding. Supposedly 8 hour battery life. When talking a walk, I wear just one. (Believe microphone in each earbud.)

https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Ea...fusho+f16&qid=1578877033&s=electronics&sr=1-2
  20. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Update I bought the earbuds I linked, the ear tip is angled (straight works better for me, putting the helmet on messes up the seal if the angled ones in my ear) and the right one had a buzzing sound when not being used, but sounded ok while being used. It's IPX7 rated but there's no cover over the charging port which makes me skeptical about the water proof rating.

I've gotten identical looking pairs that worked better for half the price