best earbuds for under helmet??

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by therm, May 26, 2015.

1. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I use Comply foam tips with my Sennheiser buds. They fit under my helmet and the Comply tips seal well enough that I listen to podcasts at lower volume than I do in my truck. The Sennheisers are advertised as 12 hours per charge and I have yet to run out of battery in a day.
  2. kasuckmo

kasuckmo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not cheap but klipsch x10. Best sound best fit best noise control. There’s a reason if you can find them that there more expensive than new.
  3. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Too bad no replies to this as I am very curious about them. I use Shure se215 Bluetooth and really like them but looking for both truly wireless and noise cancelling... going to go look at these today and if the return policy works might try them. Don’t think I’m willing to shell out the cash unless I can return them if I don’t like them
  4. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw some comments on an interweb and they (Airpods Pro) work as advertised. The anc works as expected, but when taking the helmet off, they tend to fall. So practicality is not the best, but if they fit and not fall, they should be ok. I have not tested myself yet. I am leaning to molded plugs with the wired speakers. I have already normal molded ones and they are absolutely best to wear long riding days. I have no sore earcanals whatsoever even after 12 hours wearing them. But the music from my Cardo speakers is not the proper level, allthough the molded plugs has small hole through with the lowest attenuation.
  5. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I saw similar online, was looking for feedback here as well like I usually do. 14 day return policy no problem if used, $29 for 2 years of Apple Care that covers drops/stepped on/put in wash whatever, and I found some aftermarket memory foam tips for them and I much prefer memory foam over the rubber tips for isolation... so with all that they are sitting in my lap now and I will set them up and try them out. Will post my thoughts here after I try them for a bit
    gadgettr1, Mordster and yoohah like this.
  6. Nosotros Racing

Nosotros Racing Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've had 3 sets of these in 12 years; first set was destroyed in a crash. Second set had the incoming wire break after several years in the wind. I repaired the plug-in end but decided to get another set and leave the old ones at home for private listening. They do a good job of cutting steady-state noise like wind and exhaust. I have them wired to a Belkin Rockstar splitter along with the phone, Ipod and radar detector. They are a bit bulky, but I wear a satin helmet liner that makes the lid slip on and off without disturbing the buds. The liner also stops scalp itch, which was my original reason for getting one.

[​IMG]

https://shop.panasonic.com/support-only/RP-HC56-K.html

One AAA rechargeable lasts 12-18 hours. I carry a few spares in the tank bag. I also changed the setup so the vulnerable incoming wire stays inside my jacket, with a proper coil cord from my belt to the plug-in on the bag handle.
    Hybridchemistry likes this.
  7. Cromoth

Cromoth fan of the magic carpet ride

Oddometer:
    There's a version of electric tape that is liquid, like rubber cement and better. Paint that on the cut, UB40 - I mean you'll be fine. Harbor Freight has it.
    Rippin209 and barnyard like this.
  8. Rippin209

Rippin209 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks I actually have some in my garage already, I've only used it once before and I didn't think of that until I had to shoe-goo my boot shoe-goo-black.jpg

I couldn't find the bottle of liquid tape so I just used the shoe-goo lol, worked great, it's probably for the best, the liquid tape comes in a bottle like glue used to come in (open mouthed bottle with a brush mounted to the cap, I knocked the bottle over the one time I've used it and made a terrible mess on my driveway, I don't know the conductive properties (or lack of) of shoe-goo but it is easier to use and worked for my needs
  9. NOVA_F850GSA

NOVA_F850GSA Stogie smokin' Whiskey drankin' Suthirn' "Outlaw"

Oddometer:
    This is late in the game but I had the same initial issue with CARDO.

SOLUTION: update the firmware via the Cardo app. Once I did, the change was night and day.

Now the included JBL speakers sound amazing!
    yoohah likes this.
  10. chef_of_the_future

chef_of_the_future Currently reading the Pepperwood Chronicals

Oddometer:
    Has anyone tried the Amazon echo buds? They look pretty flat in your ears in the pics. They use Bose noise reduction tech and they’re on sale for. $90 bucks
  11. v4play

v4play Throttlephile

Oddometer:
    I've been using these for years. Radian moldable earplugs and a cheap set of earbuds. Work great!
    earbuds.jpg
    Clambucket and Gondul like this.
  12. deep6blue

deep6blue Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been using the Radian earplugs as well for about 2 years. They work really well. I recently did the earbud mod as well to a single earbud. $10 for the Radians and $13 for the single earbud, it's awesome!
  13. webnetxpress

webnetxpress Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I used the Radian for a bit as well. Very good for the price. I tried to mold in earbuds but could never get them to actually work well, I think the issue is the size/mass of the earbuds (the plastic housing that surrounds the mini speaker/driver).

I went to custom molded earbuds and would never go without now. They are more costly but worth it in my opinion. And saves my hearing for sure.

20200212_065359.jpg 20200212_065407.jpg 20200212_065423.jpg
  14. MikeLSV

MikeLSV Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been using AirPod Pros. They are amazing. I have Bose QC20 I used for a few months as well. In comparison to the Bose, the AirPods fit much better and are far less obtrusive putting on the helmet and also don't hurt my ears. The noise canceling is very good. The QC20 noise canceling I think is a little bit better, but not by much. The biggest issue with the QC20 is the tend to pulse with wind and buffeting - the 'pop-pop-pop' sound. The AirPod Pros do not do this. For everyone's SA I'm on a 2019 BMW R1250GS with a aftermarket windscreen and wear a Shoei RF-SR. The Bose were compared with the same setup.

I will add the battery in the Bose is waaaay better. The AirPods last about 2-3 hours playing music or just doing noise canceling. You can throw them in their case for 15' and get back most of what was lost. I tend to cycle them with ear plugs if the trip is longer. Two thumbs up for the AirPod Pros.
  15. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have been using the AirPod pros for a couple weeks now and agree, with one gripe- they get a little dislodged when I close my helmet, not enough to make them fall out or stop playing but enough to make the anc not effective so it’s loud. I use a modular helmet and that is my problem, they are fine when I slip the helmet on but get moved when I close the front hard enough to get it to latch no matter how careful I am... just got a helmet liner skull cap I need to try to see if that helps
    Mordster likes this.
  16. therm

therm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bumping this thread as my Sennheiser pair is about to die ... Got a good many years out of them and will probably buy another pair unless anyone can recommend something else
  17. atc250r

atc250r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Bose QC-20. Money back guarantee, so why not try them?
  18. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    updating this. I really tried to love the Airpods, but they are a no go for me. Even when being super careful closing my helmet, the anc just didn’t cut it on the highway. Anything under about 60 and they are great, at freeway speeds too loud. I get much better “noise canceling “ from my Shure Bluetooth se215 from the foam tips, and with the loop over the ears they never move so the seal is never disturbed. Secondary gripe ( and this may be bike specific, I ride a KTM) my phone also connect to my bike for nav, which sometimes makes the bike pause the music when it reconnects after restarting (usually after a full up). With the Shure, I can just press the button on the connecting cable that comes out of the helmet, with the Airpods it’s gloves off and phone out to restart the music, just an annoyance. The Shure se215 Bluetooth still the best earbuds for riding I have tried
  19. Joe?

Joe? ... Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had posted previously about the MEE Audio M6/Sport in ear headphones but the newer versions didn't work as well for me and I was sick of replacing them every other year or so. They're still very good headphones for the money but for daily commuting I wanted something else.

Got a pair of Shure SE-215K and have been very pleased so far. Needed to order the separate tri-flange tips to get the best seal but they are certainly worth the added cost of the MEEs.
  20. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    Another SE215 user here. I am thinking of upgrading to the new Bluetooth version. I have seen a few posts about them. Anything specific I should know? They are currently cheaper on Amazon than the corded ones I bought several years ago.

Rick G