best earbuds for under helmet??

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by therm, May 26, 2015.

1. Joe?

Joe? ... Supporter

Oddometer:
    WOW! Thanks for sharing, I'll probably pick up a pair of the BT versions for my wife. They sell the BT cord separately as well but for $20 you may as well get a whole new pair.
  2. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    They are pretty big to go under a helmet. The Sennheisers fit with a helmet on very well, even with Comply Foam ear thingys.
  3. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:
    I was going to pull the trigger on Amazon but checked Shure's website to see if anything was new that I should consider. They also have the Bluetooth SE215's on sale for $79.00 and pulled the trigger. https://www.shure.com/en-US/product...roductId=acce2a46-bd06-4d16-af66-a933abc1c622

Just got them and they fit just like the corded version. Sound is about the same. Haven't tried while riding yet, but as they fit the same as my old ones, I don't anticipate any issues.

Rick G
  4. CopaMundial

CopaMundial Wow, that broke easy

Oddometer:
    I think I may have posted in this thread before, or maybe a very similar topic, but one more vote for the Shure SE215’s.
    They do not have active noise canceling, but they fit well under the helmet, stay in place, and accept a wide variety of tips so (almost) everyone can find a good fit for their ears. Big plus for the replaceable cords, since my experience has been that the cord is alway the part to fail.

Like the posters right above am also about to try the Bluetooth dongle. Hoping it is at least a little bit water resistant since rain will run down the cord to the Bluetooth module. Time will tell I guess, but the corded version has been fantastic for me so far.

(Also with noting that the current Shure Bluetooth dongle is called the BT2 and it’s Bluetooth 5.0 spec. They had an earlier version called BT1 that was Bluetooth 4.1 spec. They are offering a $50 rebate if you buy the new version and send the old dongle back to them. Basically a free upgrade since you can buy the BT2 alone, with no earphones, for $49 right now.)

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HYMWSGY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_5?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

https://btupgrade.shure.com
    stormkettle, Rick G and SASteve like this.
  5. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    thanks for posting this, just ordered my upgraded cable :rayof
  6. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the Bluetooth Shures. I’ve tried a lot of different earbuds under helmets and never found a good solution (I wear a GT Air). So for the last 7 years I’ve been sticking with ear plugs and a sena. The sound quality has always been crap compared to decent ear buds, but it was better than nothing. I just received my shures yesterday (lowest price was from Shure’s own website and it was less than 2 days to arrive). The sound quality is much much better, they fit under the helmet well, and they block almost as much noise as my regular earplugs did.
    The only downside is that it’s hard to control the music compared to the jog dial on the sena. The three button mic on the cord is impossible to find and control with my glove on, so I have to control everything through my phone. It’s not a deal breaker, as my phone lives on a ram cradle, but it’s not as fast and easy to skip a track. I’m happy to live with that downside for the much better sound quality and volume.
    Rick G and SASteve like this.
  7. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I agree, and the new bt cable has significantly better battery life than the original. Love my Shures for riding
    Rick G likes this.
  8. George Hanson

George Hanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Shure 215 with flanged silicone tips have worked well for me with my old helmet (HJC RPHA ST), but ever since I switched to the Shoei Hornet helmet, I can no longer put the helmet on without dislodging the earbuds, no matter what I do. I've tried different techniques and skull caps and balaclavas as well. At this point it looks like I'd need to use a BT headset with regular foam earplugs if I want music and directions.
  9. gofargogo

gofargogo Lurker, mostly

Oddometer:
    Yeah, I think earbud fit is very dependent on which helmet you use. That's a bummer though, I think it would be very hard to go back to the in-helmet speaker setup after getting used to the Shures.
  10. George Hanson

George Hanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've never used a Bluetooth headset, so I don't know yet how it'll compare. Not favorably in terms of sound quality, I'm sure, but probably much more convenient.
  11. MacNoob

MacNoob piney fresh

Oddometer:
    I have the QC-20. They do stick out a long way from your ear - it's painful to get helmet off and on.

More seriously - they have a frequently reported problem (and mine do this too) where they make disconcertingly loud POPping noises periodically when in use. (edit: should make clear that this only happens on the motorcycle, under the helmet... otherwise they work great).

I don't use mine on the bike any more. When they do work, it's magic. But too many shortcomings to put up with.
  12. VonBiker

VonBiker Work sucks and then you RIDE! Supporter

Oddometer:
    8 versions.
    What is the difference or which to pick?

Thanks
  13. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The ones ending “uni” are corded, the ones ending in “bt2” are Bluetooth. There are 4 color options for the earbuds, so 4 of each.
  14. VonBiker

VonBiker Work sucks and then you RIDE! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cool. Thanks!
  15. Joe?

Joe? ... Supporter

Oddometer:
    If I were buying them again (well, a third time) I'd buy the BT version and the remote cord so you have the best of both worlds.

I have the corded version and bought my wife the BT last week on sale. She's been using them for conference calls/zoom meetings and is pleased, and I'm looking forward to using the BT cord on the motorcycle for commuting and shorter trips. BT is great but I'd be too worried about having the battery die while on longer trips and prefer the cord.
  16. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers Supporter

Oddometer:
    The special 215's are voiced for more bass. Blue one's for sure and I think the white are also-you'll have to check.
    Go for the X-tra bass. Low frequency dies out at speed on a bike-and it's much easier to dial bass out than to add it, for a million reasons.
  17. Red liner

Red liner Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know how these work under an arai xd4? And does google or Siri work well through them? Maybe then voice control everything rather than using buttons? How many play hours on these do you get? And that blue tooth dongle thing...does it go into your jacket?
  18. SASteve

SASteve Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Can’t help with the xd4 question, but the mic/controller hangs down behind your ear can’t imagine the voice control working it I’ve never tried. I would get a good 4 hours out of the lot bt1 cable but just got the new bt2 cable thanks to the rebate posted earlier, and it claims 10 hours so should be good for a full day of riding. I just let the dongle sit on my neck inside my collar, don’t even notice it there
    Red liner and I82l8 like this.
  19. Bobo

Bobo Are we there yet? Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just tried out a new pair of cheap earbuds, and wow! I like! I've tried so many earbuds and they all seem to either hurt after 3-4 hours, or they don't seal well. With these Envel ones, I just place in my ear and they seal such that I can't hear what people are saying with my helmet on (not always good, I guess). I don't have to try to push them into my ear canal and putting on my helmet does not dislodge them. Sound seems decent enough and the build quality seems good. I just ordered 3 more pairs. Of course, YMMV since everyone's ears are different.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07TJVXNHX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    Aghartha likes this.
  20. Old_Fat_and_Slow

Old_Fat_and_Slow Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Not sure if it's been mentioned in this thread or not, but the Airpod pros have noise cancelling and fit great under a helmet.