best earbuds for under helmet??

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by therm, May 26, 2015.

1. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    One problem with the airpods is that they have integrated mic which is useless when wearing helmet. And when using helmet communicator (for example Cardo) these won’t integrate well. One has microphone, one has speaker, what to connect to which one (phone, navigator etc). It’s a total mess. I wish there would be a company who makes one device. It could be located to handle bars and have BT for a mic and speakers (obviously any BT capable earpiece would work). Mic could be a small one which you can attach front of the mouth somehow (no wires because you might have different type of helmets). Then the device itself would be a hub for your phone and navigator and it would be a universal extended range communicator between riders.

About the connectivity why we can’t use our phones as a communicators between riders? We have a buch of apps which could have a group chats with voice and they are universal (crossplatform). Has anyone tested the apps and phones to communicate to other riders?
  2. webnetxpress

webnetxpress Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    doing a 8 hour group ride, the phone battery will die. and probably overheat.
    plus an app would use internet, so data. you would have to be within range for them to work, not ideal
  3. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Charging while riding. Using Whatsapp or some other ip voice app, with unlimited data (no extra costs). Currently people are using a lot these video/voice conferencing apps and softwares. For hours.
  4. SFC_Ren

SFC_Ren Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You only ride where there is cell service? You need to get out of town more on your rides.
    KingOfFleece likes this.
  5. yoohah

yoohah Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I’m in Europe. There’s no such thing like no service here. Coverage is everywhere.
  6. webnetxpress

Oddometer:
    I do use Whatsapp and other VOIP apps/software on my phone, however I do not use it for hours non stop. For video conferencing (thanks to covid) most of our office staff are using laptops or tablets for video conferences lasting hours or longer, not a phone. My phone will overheat when using it non stop for an hour or more outdoors. Screen on, data on and being used, bluetooth on.

Plus my phone is not nearly as durable as my Cardo unit. I wouldn't attach my phone to my helmet or handlebars and then expect it to survive after a tumble across the desert (happens).

Anyway, I hope you can find a suitable app and it works well for you. For me and my riding partners a cellphone is not a solution.
  7. webnetxpress

Oddometer:
    Perhaps you would be better served by integrating a mobile radio (FRS/GMRS) which is cross platform compatible, does not require data and is probably more rugged than a cellphone. You can get a bluetooth interface and/or PTT button to use with whatever headset you want to use.

But this is way off the thread topic of best earbuds.... there are plenty of threads already on mobile radio and bluetooth headsets.
  8. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I can't speak to these particular earbuds, but know that you can use Comply Foam Tips with many different brands/models of earbuds and get excellent noise isolation and comfort. I use them with cheap Sony earbuds and am very pleased with the sound quality. They're a bit of a premium and don't last forever, but definitely worth it for long rides.