best earbuds for under helmet??

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by therm, May 26, 2015.

1. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    No I'm a Fireman in Los Angeles. I try and trade my days around so I work 4 days straight then 8 days off. I usually do this commute 2-3 times per month.
  2. GCecchetto

GCecchetto Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Well, in LA, a six hour commute is just getting across town isn't it?
    BruceWA likes this.
  3. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid Supporter

Oddometer:
    Would you comment on the bulkiness and fit of each? It seems to me that the Splugs are smaller and thus may be a better fit vs. what seem to be the bulkier ER6i's.
  4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
  5. hydro556

hydro556 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just ordered a set JVB. along with a Sena 10u for my Neotec. Hopefully it all works well.
  6. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    The "stem" part looks like it extends quite a bit outward. Does it interfere with the helmet speaker? If so, can it be trimmed? Not much info or reviews out there for these, that I could find.
  7. docwells7

docwells7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have the splugs, but if placed properly, the ER6i is small enough that other than the wire, it's hard to tell you have ear plugs in at all. I have moved on to the HF5s, and they are pretty similar...I think they are the replacement. Etymotic changed their triple flange plugs so that even their largest doesn't properly seal in my ears, so I got some Comply 100s and love them. They really isolate well, and they are soft memory foam with a smooth surface, so they are all day comfortable. Just like foam ear plugs, it requires some fiddling to get them into the ear properly the first few times, but when they're in right, they're awesome.:clap
  8. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Interestingly it really does not stick out far at all. I have fairly small ear canals and these fit in deep enough that my helmet doesn't touch them at all. Even if they did, you could trim a bit off the stem. The filter is pretty far in.
  9. nickanthony

nickanthony Harescrambler

Oddometer:
    I just returned my pair of S plugs after a 3 day, 850 mile trip to Laconia, NH. The sound quality was good and pumping sound directly into required very little volume from my S20s. I still experienced discomfort after a few hours that was mostly caused by having the S plug in the ear while slight pressure on ears from Noetec helmet. I also could feel where the cord was coming out of my ear.

It might be that I have sensitive ears, but it did not work for me. It also could be helmet size as I am on the upper side of size large. I may need to try an XL.
  10. VanXR

VanXR nOOb/NooB/noob/NOob/NOOB/ Supporter

Oddometer:
    BruceWA and kpd1999 like this.
  11. 1150Pappy

1150Pappy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    BruceWA, Ravenplague and a_ron like this.
  13. TheBarry

TheBarry Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I've been using Etymotic Research earbuds in different capacities for years.

As a musician and someone that's almost always plugged into an iPod, I've used various models of their in-ear buds. I like them, they give me enough sound isolation and are comfortable. I've found that they sound almost as good as Shure (actually, my expensive studio in-ear monitors sound ridiculous) and are much less expensive. They're tougher than some of the others out there as well.

I'm (obviously) a big fan. But the most important thing is to get ones that fit your ear well. Etymotic Research makes multiple sizes of their flanges to put on their ear buds, which can help if your ear canals are somewhat small. They also have foam tips if you prefer those.

I'm currently using them under my helmet until I get my bluetooth system installed in there. I do get the dreaded ear bud pull when I remove my helmet, but they sound awesome while riding.
  14. cory1848

cory1848 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use the Etymotic MC-5s with the foam tips. Could leave them in for a week and be fine. They came apart of the elbow so they are back with them for warranty replacement.

I used them with my SENA 10 and hoping to get away with just using speakers now. Need an ear plug that allows music through but cuts wind noise. Any suggestions appreciated.
  15. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    The Shure 215s are awesome - but they're expensive and beyond my means right now so I went hunting for something a lot cheaper.

I ended up with a pair of Philips earbuds which, for the money (something like €20) are reasonable - but they're not noise dampening and they don't loop over the ear which means they're not quite as secure a fit as the Shures.

As for preventing them from pulling out when you put your helmet on, I've always used a helmet liner (I actually use a wicking summer weight buff) which I wear like a do-rag under the helmet. It prevents the buds from being pulled out and, as a bonus, helps keep the helmet from skankinng up, plus the buff is easier to clean than the helmet inners.
  16. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    See my earlier post. These work great for $30.
  17. cory1848

cory1848 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, its the style of that plug that may not work. I have those same style tips for my earphones and they hurt my ears and don't seal properly. I may try them anyways.
  18. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    That sucks. I looked a long time to find these. I have not seen anything else similar. These are pretty soft, and I have small ear holes that are sensitive, and they are good for at least an hour, longer likely, though no experience in it yet.
  19. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:
  20. WeazyBuddha

WeazyBuddha Carbon-Based Humanoid Supporter

Oddometer:
    :puke1

I might just have weird ears but I can't get these Shure 215s to fit well after trying several of the tips. I did not get the flange type tips with mine. If I can source flange tips I might order some before giving up. Might be $100 down the drain but I suppose I can use them for music around the house.

For me, the Splugs are WAAAY better.