best earbuds for under helmet??

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by therm, May 26, 2015.

1. chillin_in_bots

chillin_in_bots n00b

Oddometer:
    I have been running the Klipsch S4i for a good time. I believe they have a newer model out now. Riding with an MX helmet for 3 hours plus- no problem and great to help with noise reduction of the KTM twin on the open road!
  2. genka

genka SUV hater

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised no one mentioned Plugphones http://www.amazon.com/Plugfones-Mot...02363&sr=8-6&keywords=plugfones&tag=gt1net-20
    They fit deep inside the ears without touching the helmet and provide excellent noise protection. The comfort will depend on the anatomy. In my case the left one is perfect, the right can get a bit bothersome by the end of a long day. I still like these buds very much. I only wish they had a short cord version, which would work better with bluetooth intercom systems.

[​IMG]
    Latimus likes this.
  3. johnyrrr

johnyrrr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK I just bought these Yamaha ear buds (actually 2 pair) and I feel they really aren't as good as the Skullcandy's I was thinking of replacing them with. They seam to let in too much outside noise in and I cant even use them while cutting the grass because they wont block out the noise. Im a little disappointed that I bought a second pair off Amazon to save on shipping.

4. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    As mentioned previously, I use a pair of JVC Marshmallows with Comply Foam Tips. Excellent noise blocking, comfortable, and they stay in ears. You may check to see if you get Comply tips for your Yamaha buds.
  5. docwells7

docwells7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    According to their site, they do have tips for the Yamaha buds. :deal
  6. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I'm pretty sure I've read all 957 forum threads on this topic, and the post above is the first time I've ever heard of the Plugfones. I love (I mean I actually am literally in love with them in an unnatural way that should make you a little uncomfortable to read this) my er6i's; great sound, perfect iso for me, and I can (just did) wear them on a 3k mile tour with 0 issues. But obviously they're not made any longer, and they won't last forever. The Plugfones look like a great, inexpensive alternative. I tried splugs and they would have been perfectly great if they were $40, but for $130 the sound quality is crap compared to the Etymolics. They did have similarly effective noise isolation for me FWIW.

I'd love to hear more from folks who have used the Plugfones.
  7. johnyrrr

johnyrrr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK. I just recieved my Plugfones and they sound pretty good, they block out the back ground noise pretty decently on the bike but on the tractor its still to much back ground noise and I had to use the earmuffs over my ears anyway. For my money I swear by the Skullcandy cheapies at $15 or sometimes $10 at Target.

8. Dirtwannabe

Dirtwannabe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sorry this won't help much but I just have to brag about my luck. One of those quickie deal offers popped up on Amazon when I sat down at my 'puter.
    Harmon Kardon noise canceling earbuds....$200 on sale for $36. I jumped. First set of electronic noise canceling I've owned....WOW!!!
    When I turned on the switch I was treated to an extra surprise. AMPLIFICATION!!....BASS I can hear at ...um...highway speeds....OH YEAH!! :wings
  9. resqdoc

resqdoc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Review of Comply replacement foam tips: I had read some very positive reviews that were countered by scathing comments on durability longevity.

My experience. I was able to order a size that fits my particular anatomy. They stay in place when I don and doff the helmet. I recently went on an 8 day ride. I used 1 pair of Comply tips all day, every day. At the end of the ride those tips are in perfect condition and I anticipate a long and appropriate life. I bought a "box" of them expecting them to crap out every use. I now have a lifetime supply and am impressed with their performance in every way.
  10. ArmyStrong

ArmyStrong 6F

Oddometer:
    thanks for the review. FYI: pack of 3 is $3.97 at radio shack. I pick mine up tomorrow and if they work they will order me more.

Radio Shack
    Home/Music & Audio/Headphones/
    Comply S-400 Medium Foam Tips (3-Pair, Charcoal)
    Catalog #: 3300965
    Model #:
    Catalog #: 3300965
    $3.97
  11. Rick G

Rick G Ranger Rick Supporter

Oddometer:

Tell me more about these phones and the noise cancelling properties. I have a pair of Sennheiser over the ear phones with noise canceling,that I use for airplane use so I am familiar with the tech. Do these HK buds use batteries? Where is the sensor for the noise canceling? What kind of helmet are you using? On what bike? Does it do a good job of eliminating the wind noise?

Thanks in advance.

Rick G
  12. Dirtwannabe

Dirtwannabe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Rick G, the little battery box is rechargeable via micro-usb plug. Charge lasts all day+. The sensor appears to be in the in-line switch pod. Arai Profile on a Kaw Concours 14. There are probably better units out there but I'm rather impressed with wind noise reduction. The buds are not tiny and make it tricky to get helmet on without dislodging. A small ear canal will probably not like them. Price made it worth the gamble.

http://www.amazon.com/Harmon-Kardon...kcompar-20&ascsubtag=55f6b4e348308e17740232b0
    Rick G likes this.
  13. AdventureNerd

AdventureNerd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have experience with Decibulz?

Decibulz

You can either buy them with or without the earbud and they have a list of compatible earbuds.

Was considering pairing them with JVC Marshmellow's.

My wife and I just got through with a 2,000 mile ride with a few days that were slabbing across the Nevada-Utah desert at 80MPH+. Our ears were ringing badly.

Need to get something but don't have a big budget. We use Sena SMH10R bluetooth communicators to talk and just use the helmet speakers now. That's fine for short trips, want the option for earbuds when we have a full day riding.
    EmmEff likes this.
  14. EmmEff

EmmEff Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have no experience with them, but am almost willing to give them a try for the price. I am currently (happily) using JVC Marshmallows with Comply Foam tips. Thanks for the heads up! I had never seen/heard of the before.
  15. RuffnReadyXJ

RuffnReadyXJ Just thumping along...

Oddometer:
    I have Bose ear buds and they work great! They stay in really well and block a bit of noise because the fitment is so good, I don't think the ones I have are actually "noise canceling" though. Mine are the same design as this link but perhaps the first gen model, non the less they've given my almost 3 years of use and still work awesome!

https://www.bose.com/products/headp...ue-ultra-in-ear-headphones-apple-devices.html
  16. MOBiWan

MOBiWan Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I used the Shures and loved them. But they were a pain to get my helmet on, and I had an cup pop off in my ear canal and a buddy had to pull it out with tweezers, plus after about 3 years of riding with them, the cord was pretty much done.. So I went with some Alien Ears custom molded monitors. I went with the duel drivers that at the time were using shure components, now I think they use proprietary drivers. Anyway, kind of expensive but they are custom molded to my ears, easy to get my helmet on, perfect sound, and good noise canceling. I use them for everything and have had them for about 3 years now. Also the cord is replaceable if you say lay the monitors down on your seat, the cable dangles down and touches your exhaust..

Pros
    Custom molded to your ear (mold kit is free)
    Great sound (professional level)
    Noise canceling (not really but there custom molded so they cancel ambient sound)
    Easy to get helmet on and off (they are flush with your ears)
    Replaceable cord

Cons
    Pretty expensive (mine were about $315)
    Takes about 2 months to have them made

http://www.alienears.com/p/321/alien-ears-dual-driver-c2-ultimate-ears-jh-audio-westone-1964-ears
  17. Joey Stalin

Joey Stalin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    MOBiWan, which Shures did you have? I had a pair of E2C's, and not only did they sound great, but when the cable frayed, Shure sent me a brand new pair, out of warranty. But as with all ear phones, they eventually wore out and I picked up some Etymotic ER6i's. They don't sound as good as the Shures, but they have lasted. Now I'm expecting my Etymotic's to die any day, and need something waiting in the wings. Thinking of going back to Shures.
  18. ArmyStrong

ArmyStrong 6F

Oddometer:
    I am amazed at how well these things work. They just eliminated any need for in helmet speakers..I can listen at a low volume and still hear as if I am just wearing ear plugs. Ordered 3 more sets from radio shack so I should be set for many years.
    EmmEff likes this.
  19. NC1959

NC1959 The road goes on forever...............

Oddometer:
    My problem is comfort and staying in my ear. I wear an Arai XD and have yet to find a set that stays put while pulling my helmet on.
    Yes, I use the straps to try to spread the helmet while I pull it on.
    May try a helmet liner cap next.

I am wearing Ear Fuze now, but can only wear them for about an hour. Willing to try anything within reason.
  20. Mr. Canoehead

Mr. Canoehead Taste Gunnels!

Oddometer:
    Calgary, Too far to the mountains and too cold
    Try looping the cable over your ears. Helps keep everything in place when the cables get pulled.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk