Best enduro bike for RMEC series

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by R1Pete, Aug 27, 2019.

?

What’s the best enduro bike for riding the Rockies?

1. 450-500 4 stroke

2. 350 4 stroke

3. 250-350 2 banger

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. R1Pete

R1Pete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    New to Colorado and want to ride the RMEC race series. Videos I’ve seen show some technical stuff but I’m concerned about not having enough power for hills and at altitude with a 250; a 450 or 500 being too cumbersome; and I definitely don’t want the headache of re-jetting a 2t every weekend to suit different altitudes, either.

What’s the best compromise?
  2. ZiaThunder

ZiaThunder Go big or go home

Oddometer:
    From what I've seen most of the Endro crowd around here like the 2 strokes. Those not on two strokes are on the larger 4 strokes. 450/500
    R1Pete likes this.
  3. Drtbkdav

Drtbkdav Now Happy again!

Oddometer:
    I used to ride a kx250. I would only have to re-jet a few times for the far away races. And that was usually just changing the main. I always had enough power, just not enough traction for the hills.
    Rogue_Ryder likes this.
  4. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    KTM 300 TPI
    shrederscott and R1Pete like this.
  5. _CJ

_CJ Rugged Individualist

Oddometer:
    Best compromise? KTM/Beta 350. Best race bike? KTM/Beta 300 2t. Don't like re-jetting, get a Lectron carb.

R1Pete and MountainsandRivers like this.
  6. Assfault

Assfault Exposed Member Supporter

Oddometer:
    The best bike IMO for getting your feet wet in a race series is the one you already own.
    After a few events, if a person still wants to race, then would be the time to change,
    after talking to the other racers and seeing first hand what works for most.
    As is most things, what works for one may or may not work best for others.
    Kinda like tires and oil, there are no definable wrong answers.
    Good luck!
  7. R1Pete

R1Pete Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Thanks all for your responses so far.

Ordinarily I would agree with the above but I don’t own one currently, I’m looking to buy one and don’t want to buy the wrong one and have to change it.

I like the KTM/Beta 350 idea. An out and out race bike will be wasted on my meagre skillset, realistically.

Currently assessing a 10yr old Husaberg FE450. Would that be a total disaster? I’ve always wanted a ‘berg...
    _CJ likes this.
  8. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Budget bike is the YZ 250
  9. dusfou

dusfou Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm on a crf250r and pretty competitive in 250A but most are on 2 strokes for sure. Most popular bike is definitely a 300 ktm of any sort. I'm partial to anything that isn't orange though and I can't say enough good things about Beta, especially the 350, which will probably be my next race bike. Moto adventure in Loveland are great to work with too, I bought a kx250f from them a few years back and they are very straight forward.
    Pariahtize, Assfault and R1Pete like this.
  10. timeOday

timeOday Long timer

Oddometer:
    Still no electric start though. That killed it for me when I was looking recently. Not a big problem if it's really just for racing I guess.
  11. Rogue_Ryder

Rogue_Ryder

Oddometer:
    https://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/d/arvada-2016-yamaha-yz-250/6962330123.html
    If I were serious about racing the yz250x is hard to beat! lacks some of the KTM goodies but also is $$$$ less.

I wouldn't recommend a 450, unless you're a AA/Pro level rider (even then the only 2 guys I know that rode at that level don't like them). The 2 vs 4 stroke can be debated for days; probably best to own one of each :D It's really a personal preference; the only hard truth is 4 strokes get better traction and 2 strokes are cheaper to maintain and feel lighter due to less gyroscopic forces. Other than the Altitude the riding here isn't drastically different than in Australia there's places on the Western Slope that are just like riding in the Outback, heck we even have the same red sand in some places! I've never ridden in WA but much of the NT and NSW reminded me of here and California.

In regards to Jetting, it's really not that big of a deal. I can swap a main jet in under 5 mins and that's taking my time! It's just a 17mm wrench and a 6mm socket to remove and replace a main jet in a Keihin carb (FCR or PWK).

http://www.corcs.net/Schedule.html is another venue to race that doesn't involve as much travel time as RMEC BUT it's not enduro racing (mix of fast trail/desert with some Mx sections), and of course nothing is stopping you from running both series!
    R1Pete likes this.
  12. papa_j

papa_j Long timer

Oddometer:
    Farmington, New Mexico (Four Corners Area)
    Sherco 300 SEF factory four stroke. The engine is awesome and it has kyb suspension.
    shearboy2004 and _CJ like this.
  13. shrederscott

shrederscott Long timer

Oddometer:
    HI

1 ..10year burg ....PASS ON IT ! !

2..t New KTM 250/300 2T are now fuel injected

3.. the 250/300 2T bikes are GREAT trail and race bikes ...easy to put a plate on as well in Colorado to link stuff.

4..the KTM 350 4t is a FANTASTIC do it all bike ..I own one love it

GOOD LUCK

Scott
    VxZeroKnots likes this.
  14. Pariahtize

Pariahtize Miscategorized

Oddometer:
    https://fortcollins.craigslist.org/mcy/d/cheyenne-01-kawasaki-kx250/6966425976.html
    [​IMG]

New top end, lots of extra parts, looks like new, and comes with a flywheel weight.

Gear it down and you have a cheap and formidable enduro/trail/gnar bike. This bike is super easy to work on, and inexpensive. But really, you'll rarely "work" on it.

Yes, it takes an entire single kick (short and light I might add) to start it. . . but it weighs 15+ lbs less than a 300. Very nimble and light and easy to ride with more than enough power for you.
    Throw on a Rekluse for ~500. and you'll only need to kick it after you intentionally shut it off. Stupid easy, and saves the strength in your left hand for holding up the trophy. :ricky
    Total cost: $3,300.
    The looks you'll get when you smoke the comp on their $10,000+ rigs? Ha. . . .
    Wudscrasher and Merfman like this.
  15. y4m4

y4m4 Calvin

Oddometer:
    I'll second the Lectron suggestion from @_CJ

I have one on my 2005 KTM 300 and it's flipping awesome. I just start the bike and ride it. It really shines when you start around 8,000ft and end up near 13,000ft. My buddy on his YZ250 is struggling to keep it running while my bike tractors along. It still suffers power loss, but the Lectron keeps it ride-able.

I've seen too many people at trail heads farting around with their carbureted bikes and going home without riding. The $500ish bucks for the Lectron was well worth it.

This is more anecdotal than anything, but that same YZ250 buddy uses a lot more gas than I do on the trails. I have no data other than I don't have to refuel, but he frequently does while we are riding the same trails at the same pace.

Meanwhile, I'm constantly fiddling with the mixture and idle screws on my trials bike. It's reliable, but obnoxious.
    sanderjavant likes this.
  16. Spino

Spino Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you end up with a 2T, don’t bother with the factory jets. Just spend the money on the JD Jet Kit and you’ll be good to go. I wasted a couple months trying to save money by fiddling with the factory jetting options and ended up spending the $90 on JD. Totally worth it.
  17. Zak Smith

Zak Smith *

Oddometer:
    I used to race a 250 XCW in RMEC and it was great-- especially closer to sea level. If I were to do it again I'd get the 300 TPI, maybe after trying a 350 XCW
  18. Johnny Kilo

Johnny Kilo Sumbeotch

Oddometer:
    This.....

John
    R1Pete likes this.
  19. sanderjavant

sanderjavant Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 on the Lectron, mine has been bolt on and forget it on my KTM 300, I ride from about 5k to 10k elevation, like carburetored FI.
    R1Pete likes this.
  20. Rossmoesis

Rossmoesis Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Question about the lectron. I installed an HC lectron from Slavens a couple of weeks ago on my KTM 2013 300xwc. The bike runs amazing. I’m averaging 25mpg. I was hoping to get a little bit better gas mileage.

What type of mileage are you guys getting on your 300 2T?