Best Free Download Topos for Nevada

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - West & PNW' started by Baja_Joe, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Baja_Joe

Baja_Joe Gone Riding....

Oddometer:
    Hi,

I been searching around both here and google.

My goal is to print large maps (36x48 inches) for different areas in NV. This way I can find new routes and show where the dead ends are and where the through routes are. This way I can pre run some small sections for a big loop and put it all together on a giant map for me and my buddies to review.

I see this large format map under a piece of plexiglass, hanging on the wall in my garage, and use a grease pencil to show where we have been and what areas need exploring. Where the overnite camps will be and gas stops, lunches, etc.

then load all the good tracks into one file for a multiday ride with remote camps and lunch stops. :D

Can you recomend a good site to download these maps?

I have looked here;

store.usgs.gov

And this seems to be ok, but does not seem to have them all at the same scale.

I have also tried to use Map Source but cannot print fine details when viewing large areas.

Thanks,

Baja Joe
  2. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    The BLM state map for each state is available in various sizes but paper maps are very low tech.

I keep all my records (tracks) in Mapsource. You can see my thousands of miles on GPSXchange.com including the Nevada Statewide Motorized Trail System (SMTS), trails around Mt. Patterson, & Trails near Hawthorne.

I use National Geographic Topo to print 1;24,000 scale maps.
  3. Baja_Joe

Baja_Joe Gone Riding....

Oddometer:
  4. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have two or three. Back Roads (1:100,000) for whole US plus the 1:24,000 for Nevada & California.
  5. ghostbuster2

ghostbuster2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use De Lorme Topo for my 'paper' maps. I develop routes in it and upload the waypoints to my Garmin GPS. After I ride the route I download the track to Mapsource to keep and share. Only pitfall is to get a large map printed it can only be done on 9 pieces of paper that need to be put together, cannot print to a chart plotter.
  6. rwamf

rwamf Follow me

Oddometer:
    Not true, you can save a very large JPG and take it to a copy store where they can print a very large print, That is what we have done for the Bishop Dual Sport, In fact I have be doing the National Geo Topo maps but last year I did one of the 5 maps we had on display with Delorme Topo 7.0 and everyone liked it much better, Even the BLM guys asked about it. It was much nicer to see the different detail on the map. 36x48 might be tough I think ours were 24x36.
    Not sure how much it cost the club to have those maps printed, I would guess it is not that cheap.
  7. ISDTBower

ISDTBower Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I use mapsource at the scale where I can get the highest resolution. Print to 8x10's. Stick them together and then take it to Kinkos and they can copy it. Yellow will leave a shadow on the print but not cover the trail. You can re-hi-lite the copy. $3-4 as I rememeber. This way you also have all the minor trails and descriptions of places. Those are important when talking to locals to get "directions."
  8. Howard70

Howard70 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another source of 1:24000 topos by state is the Igage All Topo V7. When you purchase a state's topo set you get all the 1:24K, 1:100K and 1:250K maps. Also the 1:100K are usually BLM maps so you get the land ownership data as well. The Igage products are also scanned at 250 dpi so they are noticeably sharper than most others scanned at 125 0r 150.

Igage's website is at:http://www.igage.com/

I have no relationship with Igage, but I really like their map software.

Howard Snell
  9. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
  10. Baja_Joe

Baja_Joe Gone Riding....

Oddometer:
    Hi Guys,

Thank you very much for the suggestions. Great group here and as a newbie to the site but a long time dez roamer I want to organize my trails and loops for friends and family. And of course ADV.

See you on the trails and thanks again for the map help.

Adios,

Baja Joe
  11. TommyDuncan

TommyDuncan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have the Arizona maps. One nice feature is that you get a lot of the surrounding states in the 1:250,000 size. This software can also be used in a laptop with a GPS. You are an X in the middle of the map and it scrolls around as you move. It also leaves a track behind you. These maps can also be saved and E-mailed. They are not free however. I think they are up to about $100 per state. It's way cheaper than buying paper maps though.[​IMG]
  12. katoomon

katoomon Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer:
  13. Zecatfish

Zecatfish XTique Rider

Oddometer:
    I cheat,
    I'll open the topo maps in google maps and then the do a print screen, screen shot and open it in ms paint, and have a second ms paint open and cut and paste the map, and place it in ms paint.
    Simple and to the point. MSPaint will allow you print large scale images to multiple pages. I generally do a 3 sheet x 2 sheet.
    Then trim the pages and assemble and then go over it with wide clear scotch type tape.
    Remember to include the scale on the image someplace.
    its a bit of a hassle to get it together but when you've got a gps track on the map and you want it printed it works.
    This website.
    http://www.blockposters.com/
    will take a large or small image and break it down to multiple pages for printing too. But its limited to jpg type images of 1 meg in size. :cry