1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Best GPX-compatible GPS app for Android

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by GravelRider, Mar 23, 2018.

1. GravelRider

GravelRider AKA max384 Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've used GPS before, like Google Maps, TomTom, and the like, but I've never used GPX tracks before. I want to ride the MABDR, and therefore need a good app for it. I downloaded the GPX file from the BDR website and then downloaded the GPX Viewer app from the Play Store on my phone. It appears to work okay, but I have no idea how to really test it out, as I'm not near the MABDR track currently.

What apps do you guys recommend for following GPX tracks? I don't need to make my own tracks. I just need it to follow tracks already previously made.
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Osmand = easiest
    Oruxmaps= steeper learning curve but lots of features
    Locus= more features than you can shake a stick at

If it's just a bdr , Osmand would probably suit you best for all the street/gravel. For offroad though, oruxmaps or locus are wicked good.

Here is locus displaying the mabdr, using Google terrain as the background map...
    Screenshot_2018-03-23-20-39-45.png

And an idea of just how cool the locus database for handling thousands of tracks and waypoints is.

Screenshot_2018-03-23-20-38-42.png

When you need maps, check out openandromaps, they're free.
  3. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    I missed my notification for this reply. Thanks for the suggestion. I will actually be using it for the MABDR. I had looked around and had it narrowed down to Locus or Osmand. I'm going to go with Osmand. Thanks!
    ohgood likes this.
  4. GravelRider

Oddometer:
    By the way, what is the difference between Osmand and Osmand+?
  5. ohgood

Oddometer:

the + version is after you donate. I don't remember if it has any added functionality or not. I kick a few dollars to Osmand and locus every year.
    GravelRider likes this.
  6. ThomasD

ThomasD Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    + Version is not limited in map downloads.
  7. Commiehunter

Commiehunter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just downloaded Osmand, really like it overall, but it's missing a bunch of Forest Service roads that are present on my Nat Geo physical map and the Maps.Me app.

Any way to change the mapset it's using? Or is it fixed? I really like the app otherwise, but if it's not going to include the FS roads, I'll keep looking.

--Edit-- See below, but those roads are included. Wanted to make sure no one read this alone and thought something was missing.
  8. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Osmand and maps.me are both using OSM maps so not sure why some roads are missing?
  9. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    + Offers unlimited world map downloads vs 10 states/countries
    GravelRider likes this.
  10. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
    Rever premium imports .gpx files on the website planning side. You name and save it and then it's on your app plus access to all the Butler rated paved roads.

Rever website allows click and snap to road routing for fast ride creating then on your phone app. Phone app allows for map download no cell use.
  11. ohgood

Oddometer:

there are more options for maps in both osmand and locus.

you can even use the local mvum in locus.
  12. ohgood

Oddometer:
    map layers.... got it

this is locus displaying Google satellite + osm roads overlay,
    Screenshot_2018-05-02-02-42-44.png
    and finally Google satellite + osm + mvum
    Screenshot_2018-05-02-02-43-18.png Screenshot_2018-05-02-02-43-01.png

.... and it doesn't need a website to do offline route planning..
    Screenshot_2018-05-02-02-48-46.png

lots of options, lots of flexibility
  13. Commiehunter

Oddometer:
    Yes, it looks like I can adjust a LOT of settings in the display file, you just have to set up the XML correctly.

Additionally, I found that my problem wasn't missing roads, it was that some roads don't appear unless you're zoomed in extremely close. Like, so close I can no longer tell where the roads go, because it's only showing about a 1 mile x 2 miles on the screen. I believe I'll adjust to have those roads appear at a more distant zoom level and that should do exactly what I need.
  14. ohgood

Oddometer:

zoom level is the same in these examples.

theme name velocity
    Screenshot_2018-05-02-16-36-12.png

vs

theme name v-s2-cycle-oam
    Screenshot_2018-05-02-16-35-42.png

if you're planning the ride, you probably want to zoom in enough to see where each plotting point goes. if you're RIDING, you'll probably want to use auto-zoom-to-speed, so it zooms in out as needed.

am I close?
  15. Commiehunter

Oddometer:
    That's the idea, yes.

When I'm planning the ride, I'm looking for forest service roads that connect through / across a large region uninterrupted by highways. So I need to zoom out to get a view of the whole scope of the region, and still have those little roads displayed so I can see which ones go a long ways, and which ones go uphill for 2 miles and dead end.

When riding, I've been happy with the default zoom levels for tracking.
    ohgood likes this.
  16. 413Sean

413Sean Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    i was wondering the same with gpx viewer app. I just downloaded a file but all it shows is a line of the route and the blue dot for my location while at my house. Does one have to be at the exact location at the start or end of the ride for the turn by turn route directions to start running the file if using gpx viewer? I'm all confused with this stuff. Any help much appreciated
  17. pashlit

pashlit Live free or die...

Oddometer:
    Bump for this one. Looking for a way to navigate GPX routes. I can convert GPX to any other format and use it with offline GPS app I have on my phone (I use CoPilot for example), but its a bit of PITA to do all those conversions and load files to the phone. So, all I need is a decent app I could use to open a GPX file with and just roll on the throttle. Is there any???

BTW, still not sure why Google Maps do not allow more than 10 waypoints to plan the route or convert from GPX. They are the best and the simplest I think.
  18. wbbnm

wbbnm Long timer

Oddometer:
    As the OP discovered Osmand will do this. So will Locus. Locus has more track handling features.
  19. Commiehunter

Oddometer:
    I've been using Osmand. Really easy to just import a GPX and toggle imported tracks on/off view.

The one thing I don't feel it does well is record a new / live track. I think it can, it's just not obvious or intuitive.
  20. PineLaneRider

PineLaneRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Between Michaux and Tuscarora State Forests
    Galileo Pro works for me. Easy peasey
    mosey.levy likes this.