1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Best GPX-compatible GPS app for Android

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by GravelRider, Mar 23, 2018.

1. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:

see osmand, locus, oruxmaps. i like locus because it handles THOUSANDS of tracks and TENS OF THOUSANDS of waypoints very easily. no more plugging in to the computer to transfer ONE RIDE and then having to make room/etc afterwords. also, you have OFFLINE ROUTE BUILDING with locus (via the brouter app) that means when you find a bridge out you can build a route around it in seconds.

gpx / kmz / kml and a lot more gps file types are supported by locus. you can also convert (export) to other file types with locus.

check out the locus thread, it's long but very thorough.
    CapeMan likes this.
  2. petertakov

petertakov Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    @ohgood Does Locus do snap-to-road on GPX tracks - basically match the track to the underlying map and calculate a route along the GPX line and navigate it? I mostly use OSMand and it has a "snap to road" option for GPX but it can't do that (I still haven't figured out what this feature does exactly).
  3. ohgood

Oddometer:

the definition of "snap to road" changes from app to stop, gps to gps.

some will say it's putting YOUR POSITION on the closest road, even though you're actually off the road.

others will say it's during the route building process, that each route segment is confined to the road, as you're building it.

locus has this option in its navigation settings:
    Screenshot_2018-12-18-14-56-16.png

it can build routes like this, keeping the tracks points on the road exclusively:
    Screenshot_2018-12-18-14-58-54.png

and here's what it looks like using the snap to road option following a track:
    Screenshot_2018-12-18-15-00-53.png

i probably didn't answer your question very well, sorry, i don't use that setting very often.
    petertakov likes this.
  4. petertakov

Oddometer:
    @ohgood Thank you, OSMand'd snap to road feature looks exactly like in your second screen shot and is supposed to (I think) to link each and every shaping point of the GPX line to nearest road on the map and that is exactly what I want it to do but it just doesn't work for some reason :-))

The reason I need this is because OSMand has an option to turn the screen off and switch it back on before an upcoming turn which is great for saving battery and dealing with device heat. The problem is that with GPX it can't differentiate between an actual turn (at a crossroad) and a sharper twist of the GPX line and as a result it switches on the screen almost constantly unless you are on long stretch of straight road but who wants to ride on such road anyway :-))
    ohgood likes this.
  5. ohgood

Oddometer:

cool. i get around the "too many curve announcements" issue by placing waypoints at the important turns, then using the waypoint proximity alerts. it's really not ideal, but it allows me to follow a track and be notified of a waypoint approaching. it's not turn by turn, but it sticks strictly to the track instead of recalculating
    919nick and petertakov like this.
  6. petertakov

Oddometer:
    @ohgood I gave up OSMand "navigation using displayed track" altogether and just follow the track. I hope this spares some battery but can't really tell.
    lanztek and ohgood like this.
  7. ohgood

Oddometer:

@petertakov I've been watching the battery drain issues with interest. recently I've found some bugs that can't be explained /fixed, and always interested in new developments. the users always end up being smarter than the apps.... which is so cool to watch happen
    petertakov likes this.
  8. 919nick

919nick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently got a DF Pro and found the battery draining faster than the charger could keep up. I was also getting a message on the phone about slow charging. After a few emails with the guy at 3BR, I learned the the DF Pro uses the data line in the charge cable to negotiate the faster charge rate. Bought the TAPP USB outlet from 3BR and problem solved.
    petertakov and ohgood like this.
  9. PNWet

PNWet Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Lots of options. I've used Gaia (iOS), Locus (Android), and OsmAnd (Android). I really liked Gaia but when I switched (i.e., saw the light) to Android, I tried both Locus and OsmAnd. I found OsmAnd drained my battery faster than Locus.

I hear Maps.me, Backcountry Navigator, and others are good. Depending on your trip, Cartographia (Mexico) might be a good option.

My uncle is a hunter, and likes US Topo Maps (Android).
    ohgood likes this.
  10. ramjet

ramjet Long timer

Oddometer:
    ohgood, I notice you have Max allowed deviation set to 500km, wondering why. So as not to interfere with finding new routes when off track?
  11. ohgood

Oddometer:
    I don't like things changing unless i request them to change. but yes, you're right
  12. mosey.levy

mosey.levy Long timer

Oddometer:
    ohgood and PineLaneRider like this.
  13. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    So in Osmand, is it possible to import a "route" from basecamp in GPX format and then have the app "navigate" it ? I can import my route, but it just shows up as straight lines to each point...?
  14. chrish4ku

chrish4ku Long timer

Oddometer:
    To answer my own question, sort of, - http://www.gpsvisualizer.com will take a gpx file with a "route" or series of "routes" in your file, and convert them to a gpx containing tracks! Fantastic way to quickly convert routes to tracks. It also allows you to omit bringing in the 'waypoints' which helps unclutter the new tracks. My only issue with OsmAnd, is it can NOT properly handle a gpx file with mulitiple routes or tracks. Gotta pull them in 1 by 1 - hopefully that gets an improvement someday. The online planning tool is clunky, slow, and not intuitive.

What I'd really like is a garmin Montana refresh, let's say - half the bulk, SPOT functionality, larger screen, easier custom map importing, wifi/bluetooth transfers, built in traffic, weather overlays, ability to see other buddies, voice commands, etc.

Oh well, for now it's just a list of compromises...

Ride on
  15. ohgood

Oddometer:
    Bc routes only exports the SHAPING POINTS plus start and finish. It relies on the good to guesstimate the path to take between them.

Use tracks