Best LED Aux Driving Lights (at a reasonable price)?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 15, 2012.

1. margavi

margavi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So far , nobody can give proof that an equal priced light can compare to the high end lights can accomplish. I just get anger and frustration from people that cant afford. Im so sorry
  2. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, the thread is really aimed at people that want 'enough' light rather than 'the most light you can buy'. If you're a racer that needs all the light you can get because you ride deserts at 100mph or just a poser that likes to tell people how much his lights cost then you probably need the $1k lights. For everyone else there are much cheaper lights available that will do the job for normal adv-type riding.
  3. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    So far it seems that no one can actually justify the more expensive lights unless they are proud of their ignorance and blindly following the “ you get what you pay for mantra”

Other wise to most of us , spending $1000 on led lights for a motorcycle appears to be an an obvious attempt at compensation for what seem to be other short comings.
    petertakov, Butters and worwig like this.
  4. 9Realms

9Realms Drawn in by the complex plot

Oddometer:
    Nice, picked up a new bloke for my "blocked list" :lol3
    mbfj40 likes this.
  5. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    I could tell somelike Margavi that I’ve helped a friend install
    Some Clearwater led lights, and they were built well and looked nice!
    Once I powered them up I was not overwhelmed to the brightness; reach; or focus of the lights.

In fact in that small group installing those lights, three so us maybe? I don’t think anyone made any comments about how bright or how impressive they were.

But I am sure that Margavi would ignore that, or argue and or question my experience there... because you know he wants to make sure Every one makes fair and unbiased comparisons on these things based their level of income.

Haha
  6. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    There is an objective way to rate lights. However, most manufacturers do not post the proper specifications to do so. For instance, you could measure the amount of lux at distance from center and at varying distances where the ambient lighting is equal. I think Baja Designs is the only company to post such specs. So, since the specs are not available no comparison can be done. People posting pictures of how bright their lights are have no capacity for critical thinking.
  7. ptgarcia

ptgarcia Huh?

Oddometer:
    And if you actually compare the Baja Designs to the Chinese knock-offs (I have) you'll see the BD lights output more light and the construction is clearly better. The cheap Chinese lights can certainly be useful, but they're not as good as the more expensive lights.
  8. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    Conclusive!

This guy has tried every single led light available and NONE are as good as Baja Desigs

I guess you can close this thread now

Haha

I guess the real question is if they cost 2x as much are they 200% better?

If they cost 5 times as much, are they 5 times brighter?

do they last 5 times longer?

That’s the reason this is a hot topic I think, some of the upper end lights might be better ( I’m certain they are)

But it is often a small amount better that to many of us is not worth that 5x increase in cost for a 20% “better” light
    flinders_72 and JimVonBaden like this.
  9. margavi

margavi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Ive gotten plenty of feedback of how bright my lights r in brought daylight.
  10. margavi

margavi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Why not buy a Chinese motorcycle at a reasonable price???
    It will do the same job as an BMW.
  11. Andrew

Andrew Optimus Primer Super Moderator Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Productive and constructive discussion is welcomed and encouraged here. :deal

If you feel like bashing the other person over their posts, better to go take a ride and enjoy some fresh air.
    largemouthbass likes this.
  12. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    I used to ride with a guy who was on a Shineray ( a really crappy chinese dirt bike), he was passing XR400s all day long.

( he was also a sponsered Suzuki rider back in the day)

so I really do not understand your point.

I have also gotten MANY comments on my $17 lights being bright, both from car and bike people in front of and behind me.

none of these things justify a 20% better light for 5 times the price, unless one has a VERY specific need of such a special light.
  13. margavi

margavi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    All im trying to say is that there t tons of led lighting out there, cheaper but not even close to the Erica’s. But so far only the clear waters have impressed me . I haven’t seen anything close to it. Im still paying for these lights( im not rich )and love them so much that i want to upgrade to dixi.

I was involved in two head on accidents. Both drivers gave the excuse that they did not see me when i had high beams on. 27k miles with erica on my side i had good luck so far. I ride daily and riding is a big part of my life.

On paper, charts websites we can have all the info the companies want u to see. The real test is when u r riding and feel safer when u know u can be seen.

If anyone found led lights at a reasonable price that can make u feel safer on the road, please share and prove .
  14. margavi

margavi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Please share the info on ur $17 lights
  15. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    I have many times.

and this seems to talk in a circle...

"The real test is when u r riding and feel safer when u know u can be seen.

If anyone found led lights at a reasonable price that can make u feel safer on the road, please share and prove ."

how would one prove that they feel safer?

can we stick to things we can measure and or quantify?
    alijanah and flinders_72 like this.
  16. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

....two head-ons isn't exactly a normal standard.
    flinders_72 and JimVonBaden like this.
  17. margavi

margavi Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Im bad luck, i guess. One was from a lady from Florida. The second was us postal mail worker on his phone 52623606706__D419B082-0353-4DEE-A732-35E49CB0FA70.jpg
  18. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    One could also say that you're not riding defensively. I won't say that.
    Look, your argument keeps showing up every ~6 months like clockwork but from a different poster. Congratulations, you're the latest! This thread isn't about your high dollar lights, it's about economical alternatives that give good performance for a cheap price. I bought a BD light a few years ago and love it and could rave about it and say that "you people just need to buy $$$ XYZ lights" but again, that's not what this thread is about. I enjoy hearing about the cheaper lights that folks are finding that don't cost $$$. I've been on both sides of the fence and not everyone needs a $$$ light for forest road commuting riding at night.
    JimVonBaden and flinders_72 like this.
  19. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    There are more Chinese motorcycles sold around the world than BMW's so obviously they serve a purpose.
    mouthfulloflake likes this.
  20. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I take it you must ride around with these lights on full blast all the time, otherwise what's the advantage over less powerful lights, as far as safety goes?
    Boxa, JimVonBaden and mouthfulloflake like this.