Best LED Aux Driving Lights (at a reasonable price)?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 15, 2012.

1. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    I recently picked up a pair of used Rigid Industries D-Series pod lights at a swap meet for $20. :wings They came with what Rigid calls "Surface" mounting brackets and the stainless hardware, but no wiring harness. They are a wide angle flood light, so not much effective range, but good for using as DRL's, cornering lamps, and my main concern: illuminating the sides of the roads where the critters are lying in wait at night.

They weren't exactly what I was looking for, but the quality and price made it an easy buy. I won't cry if one gets damaged. And who knows what I'll find at the next swap meet? :dunno
  2. Bigbugberg

Bigbugberg De oppresso liber Supporter

Oddometer:
    Sometimes, like now, I wonder why I try to help at all... The lack of objectivity is astounding.
    SoggyDonkey likes this.
  3. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:

Attached Files:

4. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Seems reasonable. I wonder if they were claiming "50 watt equivalent"?
    flinders_72 likes this.
  5. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  6. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Even though I've had pretty good luck with most of the lights I've bought, given some of the claims made these days I'd always make sure they tell you what brand and model (eg, Cree on its own isn't good enough) LED is in the lights (not that there aren't fakes around) and the current draw. If those two things aren't advertised along with claimed Watts, lumens, etc, I wouldn't bother. I also wouldn't bother with low powered floods.

50W halogen equivalent perhaps (although I know that's what you meant), otherwise you're comparing it with 50W of nothing.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  7. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    well, I bothered.

they are less than $20 each, and brighter than the other cheapo LED lights I have on hand.
    Time will tell how they hold up, but they look as well made and as sealed up as any that I have had in hand.
    JimVonBaden and flinders_72 like this.
  8. wibby

wibby BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer:
    92DFF497-C764-4901-B770-DD7248417B6E.jpeg Under $15 on eBay for the pair and completely happy with them

I got to see an elk run across the road and off into to brush last night that the headlights alone wouldn’t have lit up
  9. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Saw today Harbor freight now sells LED Cube lights for just under $20 each. Not sure I’ll be the first to try them out but it sure mount make returns easy with their return policy if they didn’t work out.

JimVonBaden and flinders_72 like this.
  10. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Under $20? Why not. I presume this is for a single light and not a pair? One thing I'd be concerned about is the physical size of the light versus its lumen output - the output for each of the lights is very believable but under 1000 lumen from the 3" isn't enough for significantly better lighting and the others are too big for a bike for the output you're getting. I have a pair of 8" bars on my car that are now almost 4 years old (and were cheap back then) that I believe put out more than the HF equivalent in that video. The 3" is ok for DRL's but not much more unless you ride very slowly. Also, being flood or spot/flood combo they won't have the reach of pure spots.

In this day and age I'd be hoping for at least 2000 lumen from a single 'bike sized' spotlight at any price and quite a bit more if it was a $premium product. Using my converted torch I'm getting 6000l (measured) from a single 2" light.

By the way, looking at some LED torches the other day I see they've (allegedly) cracked the 100,000 lumen barrier. Sheesh.
    Wiely and Brun like this.
  11. phillyrube

phillyrube Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anyone making a full spot led light that throws like some of old pencil beam lights used to? Lucas, Marchal, Cibie, Hella?
    Alexander B likes this.
  12. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cyclops? @DRV does good work ! :thumb
    DRV likes this.
  13. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  14. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
  15. Dread

Dread Putt-Putt Adventurer

Oddometer:
    On the bike.

Attached Files:

16. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I have these, and they are great for conspicuity, plus they actually work well in foggy/rainy conditions.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HR6BCLQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_eo0wDbJG66P6M

I have them mounted down low on my FJR:
    0521191706_HDR.jpg
  17. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  18. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
  19. appliance57

appliance57 Long timer

Oddometer:
  20. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good plan.

Also, if what you want is daytime conspicuity, you don't need to spend anywhere near that money. I used the lights linked below on my Tenere, and I covered them with the yellow film I've also linked. Total investment under $20 and absolutely excellent DRL functionality. THe LED color temp combined with that yellow film results in a highly attention-grabbing green/yellow, very similar to some of the super bright hi-viz material. I rode my bike for a couple of years and about 40k miles with these lights, always worked perfectly well, no issues etc.

Ebay link to lights
    Ebay link to yellow film - this is enough for about 47 of those lights, but I never found it in a smaller unit size for less money.

Here is a pic of the bike and how I mounted them (sorry I don't have a pic of them on, but I promise they work :) ). Note that they 're designed to be installed under stalk mirrors, but the heads swivel on a ball, so they're actually quite versatile re: how you can mount them. Hope this helps!

tenere-front.jpg
    flinders_72 likes this.