1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Best LED Aux Driving Lights (at a reasonable price)?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 15, 2012.

1. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    Have you noticed any difference in the handling?

5lbs mounted up high like that on a lighteresh dual sport would be a challenge for me.

And just a heads up, many states have a law on the books that require auxiliary lighting to be lower than the main headlight beam, ymmv.
    Eatmore Mudd likes this.
  2. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    handles just fine, especially with the SM wheels on.
  3. squish

squish Out of the office.

Oddometer:
    I picked up a pair of closeout Denali lights last November
    I want to say they were like $60 a pair.
    I forget which model they were "chrome DM", small single LED lights, came with a decent wiring harness, (poor switch quality that despite not being switched very much is now failing to stay in the on position)

One design flaw is that the screw used to hold the light onto it's bracket is very small, and even with threadlock after about 6 months of use it vibrated free.

Beyond those two issues these lights have been great.
  4. mouthfulloflake

mouthfulloflake Not afraid

Oddometer:
    ohgood likes this.
  5. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
  6. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    I would hope the Baja designs are better

But I'm not paying $200 more to find out
    I'll update as time goes on how these are holding up

Camped in the rain and the Rode 200 miles in a deluge Sunday and they did not get any water inside

The Baja design lights are probably brighter ; but as I said 10% at night and 30% during the day and they are brighter then my headlight.

I flipped the lenses upside down to get the "spot" section up high and one of the 4 little silver screws rounded off
    Very soft stainless, so yeah they are cheaply made
    I just left that one lens upside down

I could drill it out but I probably won't mess with it
    Shaggie and Baroquenride like this.
  7. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
    Good thinking re swapping upside down
  8. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've posted in this thread a few times with some bargain lights, but I've mentioned every time that LED tech in driving lights has been largely disappointing to me, particularly in the light down-range department. Well, that is, until now.

If you aren't put-off by large lights, I have The Solution, period. These were under $100 shipped, and are quite literally all the light anyone could need. There is no built-in dimmer function for DRL use, and I haven't attached them to a dimmer unit of any kind, so I can't speak to that. But, if what you want is nighttime illumination, both side-to-side, and down-range, these lights are approaching the logical limit of what is useful. When riding on a 6 lane divided highway with roughly 60' (total guess here) of grassy median, I could see into the woods past both shoulders (the right side is ultra-bright), and they shine so far down-range that they are illuminating things that I can't possible identify, and that I won't be approaching for another 20 seconds or more, at 80mph. If anyone needs more light than this, I certainly can't imagine it.

I compared these side-by-side to 2 sets of LED Rider LD5's last week, and I am confident that these are literally the same lights. I scrutinized tiny details in the casting of the housing, and other small details, and I couldn't find a single difference. Of course it is possible that these are copies, but as a person who had a business importing motorcycle parts and accessories, it is my opinion that it is exceedingly likely that these are the same lights. Except of course, that these are $97/pr v. $135 each.

LINK to Ebay listing for 90W LED land scorcher lights

Notes:

1. They are heavy, maybe 3 pounds each. You need a stout mounting point.
    2. They come with a cover that has a fluted lens in front of 2 elements per light. I was planning on trying them without the covers, as there is a massive amount of 'flood' to these...maybe too much, affecting night vision a bit. But, even so, as I mentioned they are phenomenal down-range. I'll report back after I try no covers; I have a feeling that the fluted lenses are not needed and there will be plenty of 'flood' even without...but we'll see.
    3. The listing says 90w, but they don't draw that much. I haven't measured, as my dmm had dead batteries, but I ran them both in my garage for a while through a 5a fuse and it didn't pop, so...
    4. They're big. Did I mention that they're big?
    5. Do _not_ look directly into these when they are on, for real.
    6. There is no scenario where these would even approach usability into oncoming traffic (unless you dim them about 95%), so they should be relayed to the hi beam, such that they only come on when the high beam is on, for safety's sake.

Here are a couple of pics of the lights installed on my bike, for reference. Sorry they're crappy; I'll try for better ones.

big-lights-1.jpg big-lights-2.jpg
  9. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
  10. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
  11. ded6080

ded6080 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  12. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:

I've seen them on a couple of rally bikes, and they aren't significantly smaller than the ones I just posted above, so I'd just go with the big guns. But, if the amp draw difference is important, then folks say that these are pretty good. I think someone discussed them not too long ago in this thread; I remember reading something about him having disassembled the lens area to flip the fluted cover around and rounding off the screws. Might be this thread, might not...
  13. WindBlast

WindBlast Jesus and Tequila

Oddometer:
    I just saw these yesterday for less than $20 at our local HF. Now an even better bargain.
  14. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:

that was me, but I bought the smaller versions.
    about $36 for the set from aliexpress

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/329...chweb0_0,searchweb201602_4,searchweb201603_55
  15. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    Ya those look like an excellent value in a light that isn't ridiculously huge. The ones I posted about are definitely not for someone who wants any sort of discretion or style at all. They are really huge. So big that I let them sit in boxes for a month until I finally said 'screw it, I just want lots of light' and took the plunge.
  16. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    I'm thinking of putting those you have on my boat haha
  17. pne

pne Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have been burned so hard by these Alibaba lights. I ordered 3 different sets that all looked like Baja designs copies hoping they would be similar in output. When they arrived they were complete garbage. They're about as bright as the cheap eBay light bar lights and nowhere near the advertised wattage. There is no way to return them back (try shipping to china at your own expense) and Alibaba would not lift a finger to help me.

I am a cheap bastard sometimes, but the BD lights are really something special and way worth the money. When you turn one on vs a knock off or off brand light, it's like comparing a keychain light to a light sabre. I did post some LUX measurements earlier in this thread. We're talking an order of magnitude like 10x.
    twotyred and ohgood like this.
  18. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    Amazon link for a little more dollars...

https://www.amazon.com/Lightronic-5inch-Round-Lights-HeadLight/dp/B01LXOFZ5Y

looks to be the same?
    Screenshot_20191022-202653.png

since you've used these in person, would you say that one of these would be enough for dirt biking at night in tight single track AND throw far enough for faster fire roads ? i REALLY dig round lights on dirty bikes, would love to have one of these on my dual sports and dirty bikes if you think it will fit the bill
  19. mouthfulloflake

Oddometer:
    Mine work great

Dimmed to 10% at night and 30% in daylight

Hard to say they aren't bright enough

I'm very happy with them
    From aliexpress

I had zero notions of retuning them, and I knew that when I ponied up the massive $36 to get these wonderful lights sent to me

I also have Zero doubt that the Baja designs lights are great products
    No doubt what so ever, but these lights are great for the money

worwig and ohgood like this.
  20. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    I would say that they are bright enough to kill the vegetation on the tight single track, and unless your fire road bike can go about 375mph, you aren't going to out-ride these on any road. If Lassie had these lights, she wouldn't have had to use her doggie senses to find Jimmy at the bottom of the well. These lights would sufficiently illuminate The Dark Side of the Force. A black hole is no match for these lights.

Hope that helps.