Best LED Aux Driving Lights (at a reasonable price)?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 15, 2012.

1. George Hanson

George Hanson Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    What happened? Genuinely curious.
  2. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    Details don't need rehashing...pm me if you want to.
  3. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    Please provide one link to such a run in to validate your post. It shouldn't be too hard if there is a bunch of them.
  4. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    You are more than welcome to look yourself, don't assume that everything is on the internet for all to see.

It's been over 2 years since DDT purchased from my company. The product didn't work for him, he received a full refund. To continue with the defamatory remarks towards me and my company are unacceptable.
  5. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    What is unacceptable is you continuing to refer to these fictional encounters with other lighting vendors. I said it before, and I'm saying it again in plain language:

You are lying.

Surely if you are not you would take exception to this statement and defend yourself. I mean, of course I know that you can't because you are lying, but still...
    413Sean likes this.
  6. sanjoh

sanjoh Purveyor of Light

Oddometer:
    DDT continuing to spread the vitriol. You are the one that "continue" to mention the encounters, a guilty conscious perhaps.
  7. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I couldn't disagree more. He had a bad experience and said as much in a calm and non defamatory manner. There is no statute of limitations on bad customer service.

You made defamatory remarks that he has been a problem for more than just you and are unwilling to substantiate them. His posts on the subject over the last couple of pages showed some restraint while yours did not. That is a big red flag for me.
  8. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    First thing to do is stop digging. The hole is getting pretty deep.

You have managed to convince me that you are not someone I would want to do business with.
  9. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok Lighting boys....lets try to send this in another direction.

I want more light....past that I am not sure what i need. I have looked at so many lights and different setups I am seeing spots (get it)

Here is what I do know.....after hitting a deer on the way to work I really want to see the forest rats next time...so I want light down the road and off to the side of the road. That deer killed my Versys so the new bike is a '17 Africa Twin.

I ride to work on back country roads....no street lights, no lights at all.....think gravel roads or real crappy chip n' seal. There are other cars now and then so I do need do dim them, but not uncommon to run high lights all the way into town.

I have looked at BD,cyclops, tourtech, denali...bla bla bla....all "upper end expensive" type setups. But I really am not sure what I need, and am now at the point of information overload and have said to hell with it after all it is 19F outside there is no rush on this at the moment.

I really don't want to add crash bars just to mount lights to.....the most adventure this thing is going to have is gravel roads....it is a commuter bike on shitty roads that is really it. I will add other stuff if I need to, but likely the only thing I will hit are critters...I already have one owl, two deer, one opossum, and a squirrel to my list...but only one Delta 88, so cars are not the issue....seeing the animals are....and I really want as much light as I can get.

I am open to suggestions.
    OneAUout and dietDrThunder like this.
  10. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I have a pair of 10* Optimus lights (VisionX) that are mounted up high near the level of my headlights. This gets the best long-range illumination to see critters down the road. I'm lucky that my headlights do a good job of lighting up the side of the road, so I don't need to supplement that part for my situation. Is there a company that makes a light bar that mounts under the front fairing of the AT? That with a combination spot and wider beam (one of each, with the wider beam on the right side) would probably get you what you need.
    The Optimus lights are a great product, but I also got mine on sale and had Amazon gift cards. I think the pair of lights was $150 before the gift cards. You can also get filters to spread the beam of the lights more like a driving light to get the side illumination you need.
  11. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

I was in the same boat as you as far as the huge amount of options so I opted for a cheap set from Amazon. I bought some that are basically like this and for the year that I've had them on, they work perfect. I mean, how can you go wrong for under $40. Even Harbor Freight has light setups like this now.
    https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-O...words=motorcycle+lights&qid=1573222450&sr=8-6
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  12. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've mounted several sets of Vision X, never disappointed.
  13. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    I also had a set of these (just sold them last week on the Flea Market) and they were solid. I had the silver square bodied model (same light though) and they were built very well, and did a nice job of both long distance, plus giving decent side fill despite the 10 degree spot config. For some, this price level might not fit into the 'reasonable' category, but it is quite a bit under the premium stuff.

I posted earlier about a set of big-ass cheapos I just bought that are like the sun in an aluminum housing. Cheap and absurdly bright...but they're _really_ big. If you remember the big HID lights that were all over eBay a few years back with the red colored surround and snap-on clear plastic cover, they're almost exactly the same size...not everyone's cup o' joe for sure.
  14. rd400racer

rd400racer Long timer

Oddometer:

Yeah, I saw your lights Dave...they are definitely something else:D But I dig the intensity of them.
  15. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I will start digging in the thread for the post on the big lights...

As to cost....I learned after hitting a deer that good gear is worth it....$300 pants on closeout may seem expensive but I really think the armor kept me from busting my hip......A Shoei lid kept my face the way the wife likes it...visor did pop off....gloves...bla bla bla. I had decided I was going to go "good" on the lights, and in my little peanut brain that was equal to expensive....so I had a price in mind not to go over $800...upper end of a baja design setup.

Then I started the research....reading threads, watching videos....bla bla bla. And my head started to swim....lenses, to LED types to power draw....it got too much.....now I am rethinking.

I have a set of "cheap" amazon lights on my tractor and they are stupid bright....but again big....but not too big that I would not mount them on the bike if I had a good solid way to do it.....Function over form is where I am....and if I can get that and put that money I save to other things (seat,bags) all the better.
  16. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    Ya, I hit a cow last year at speed, at night in the rain. It wasn't great.

Gear was awesome.
  17. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    Oh, and the big light posts are only a few pages ago.
  18. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Those don't look bad....the ones I have on the tractor are these big square bastages.

I do like the idea of a harness for my specific bike....not afraid of wires but I will pay more for plug and play with water tight connectors and no splice work on my end.

Some features like having the ability to dim them....why, run them into the bright lights on the bike and be done with it....I don't ever see a time when I would want the stock bright lights on the bike and not want the MORE light I am looking for.

So many options....just need to buy something.
  19. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    Note that the only way you'll have real plug and play would be if your bike already has high powered aux lights from the factory, and I don't know of any that do. I always recommend to folks that if they're going to add powered accessories, an auxiliary fuse panel is the only way to fly. They aren't terribly expensive, and when you're done you'll have a known-good place to install fused power switched or unswitched, that is easily accessible and reliable, to connect just about anything to. My personal favorite is the Fuzeblock FZ-1, but there are many to choose from. I haven also used a couple of products from Centech as well, and they were also solid.

I say that because it is my preference to have all on my aftermarket stuff all living on its own separate electrical system, with the only connection to teh bike being main power, and of course things like the horn button and hi beam switch to activate those. This is because if I don't start out that way, the organic growth of 'oh, I'll just connect this here...oh I'll just connect that there' quickly becomes a rat nest of difficult to troubleshoot wiring hodgepodge.

Hope that helps.
    413Sean likes this.
  20. FPGT72

FPGT72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hear you...on the old versys I had the stuff for the phone and GPS on one, the heated gear plug-in on the other.....never did any lights to it however....just stuff to make me more comfy....if I had done lights I might still have the bike.....the crash cracked the case and it was taking a wizz on the road....and still leaking after I got to it a few weeks later to take my camera system out.

By plug and play, I mean stuff with connectors, already having the relay....not having to solder connections....that kind of thing....and it seems the big boys do offer this kind of setup.

Now leaning to cyclops....I have one of their kits on the XT225 and am real impressed with the light it tosses....I don't remember the destructions.....on the other hand I put a Baja Designs DS kit on the kids CRF80 including a new stator, I found the instructions for that not long ago...not sure why I saved them, and as I remember that was a well designed little kit....made the little bike look so cool as well.

then again denali get good things said about them..

I just need to pull the trigger.