Best LED Aux Driving Lights (at a reasonable price)?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 15, 2012.

1. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    I hear you. I lean the other way, preferring to do my own wiring because the ready-made harnesses are never exactly the right length, and I'm super OCD about wiring. But ya I get it for sure. Note that the Cyclops single element 3.5" and the VisionX 3.5 Optimus are literally the same light, just as an fyi.

A pic of my Tenere's FZ-1 install...

tenere-wiring-done2.JPG
  2. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    20180919_232103.jpg

That is my set up. I moved the blinkers out to the and of the handgards and used the stock turn signal mounting.

Depending on the bike you can usually use your mirrors or fender mount. I have the fender mounts on my Multistrada and they are alright, but don't cast far enough due to the low aspect above ground.
  3. Butters

Butters Kwyjibo Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just installed these to replace a pair that failed. I don't know that there is a huge difference among the numerous lights out there, although I have had some cheapos that had poor quality from the start. I have also seen people with problems with the high dollar ones too. But I bought these as they were recommended in this thread numerous pages back. Initial quality is good, lighting is good and the bracket is nice and strong. I can't speak to long term reliability yet, but I am happy so far for $50: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078V66BRD/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    [​IMG]

Edit: Crap, I see they are no longer available. Maybe there is another vendor or another Amazon link.
    The Virginian likes this.
  4. atc250r

atc250r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  5. budsboy

budsboy I crashed the swing too. Supporter

Oddometer:
    They are listed as fog lights - not going to project down the road very far.
    Buy them and if they don't work well for the bike, they may work as back up lights for a truck.
  6. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    The ADVMonster Model55 is a bright light, but not on the level of the Darle. Of course that is to be expected, as I think the Darlas are roughly 527x more money than the others.

If you want a light that is in the same area performance-based as the 55, but isn't built like crap, check out the VisionX Optimus 3.5". Very well built, not hugely expensive, and excellent performance.
    JimVonBaden likes this.
  7. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    You can’t compare $75 lights with $500 Clearwater, no matter what they claim.
  8. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    They most certainly can. Clearwater makes some excellent lights for the "cost is of no concern" crowd but the majority of folks will find some very good lights at substantially lower prices. This has already been confirmed by several respondents to this thread.
  9. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    I have no issues with the 55s, those are exactly what I have on the pic in the post above. They have been there for a couple years, they let me run 60mph on otherwise un-lit mountain roads, which was the entire point, I don't have to park on the tire of the guy ahead of me on night rides anymore.

Which I had about a 60" range before I had to slow to a near stop because I couldn't see a thing with the stock light on bright off of center.
    Shaggie and sanjoh like this.
  10. dietDrThunder

Oddometer:
    Of course you can. You can compare anything. The eBay lights are $80. The Darlas, by comparison, are $127,000 (or so).

See? Easy peasy :)
    a2zworks likes this.
  11. atc250r

atc250r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know about Clearwater’s spectacular customer service, and that’s great. But if I can get equal lighting for 1/5 the cost, that’s where I want to spend my money. Customer Service is worth something to me, but not 5x the cost. And yes, it’s been mentioned in this thread that many lights are similar in output and pattern, that’s what I mean by “equal”. So what is a known equivalent 2” light to the Darla?
  12. a2zworks

a2zworks Trust me, I'm Pablo

Oddometer:
    What about the very inferior quality of components used to achieve the low cost and weather sealing.
    I have tried a number of low cost LEDs over the years and have always failed within 12 months.
    Any way, I bit the bullet and instead of adding extra lights I replaced the headlight of my 690 for a Motominded insert with Baja Designs squadron 6 LEDs plug and play.
    You know the old saying that is repeated here over and over again here 'spend once and cry once' well in this instance I should have done that myself in the first place.
  13. Tripped1

Oddometer:
    Only issue I had on an LED component was a bad sem connection on a cyclops.....which I fixed at work. Fortunately I have a micro-minature electronics lab available.

Everything else has been solid except for the high-dollar HID's in my Ducati that the right headlight stops every time the bike gets wet.
    a2zworks likes this.
  14. atc250r

atc250r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone familiar with these? Either the LX3 or the Cyclops Long Range in particular...

https://ledrider.com/

Specs look great to me
  15. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    I have the VisionX Optimus lights, which are identical to the Cyclops lights. They are quite good. I would buy them again. They put out a very nice spot way down the road.
  17. atc250r

atc250r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Nobody has seen the LEDRider LX3 and LEDRider Cyclops side by side?
  18. atc250r

atc250r Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So I guess the LED Rider LX3’s are 33% brighter than Darla’s? As are the ADVMonster Model 55’s? 3000+ lumens vs 2000 Lumens for the Darla’s?

The ADV’s also draw 25 watts/each, as opposed to the Darla’s 12 watts.

And this is interesting FAQ from the Clearwater website...

What is the light output for the Darlas?

Darlas provide approximately 2000 lumens per light.

Running at full power, what is the electrical draw in watts?

At full power, Darlas use about 12 watts. As you reduce the intensity of the light using the adjustable control knob, the power usage drops significantly.
    To get the most illumination possible, we designed a digital switching power supply to increase the efficiency of the LEDs. By combining this with the most recently developed LEDs, we are able to produce over 4 times the amount of light than a traditional halogen filament bulb can produce. We also researched and utilize the most unique spectra in our lights.
    Because Darla is so unlike any halogen bulb headlight on the road, you WILL be noticed.

Do you consider the Darlas to be fog lamps, visibility lamps, driving lights, or spots?

We consider Darlas to be a combination of a fog and visibility light; however, due to the adjustable “dimming” feature, they serve multiple purposes.
    These lights are primarily for conspicuity (visibility to other motorists) rather than "down the road" illumination.

I’m thinking the LX3’s and ADV Monsters are better lights than the Darla’s? Am I wrong?
  19. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes. The Darlas are much better built! :deal No leakes, delamination of the reflectors, and quality electronics properly designed, not just rebadged directly from China.
  20. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Going on three years with the Clearwater lights I can say that so far they have been great on both my brother's and my bikes.
    Yes, they are pricey but I believe that you do get what you pay for. YMMV