Best LED Aux Driving Lights (at a reasonable price)?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 15, 2012.

1. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Don't get me wrong, I love the Clearwater line, customer service, integration and quality. BUT, that isn't really the point of this thread. Cheap, but decent, lighting is. In the realm of getting what you pay for, but keeping it cheap, CWs are not there. Then again, there are some low cost lights that are still not worth the price due to quality issues.
    bmac likes this.
  2. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    I get it, knowing that brands go in and out of business and technology has changed wicked fast in the LED department, 7 years into this thread, is there any consensus as to what is an inexpensive alternative to let's say CW?
  3. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    That is a tough call. As you said, the market is constantly evolving, AND, it depends on your price/pain threshold.

I guess, in the end, there is no one answer, but lots of good, and not so good, options!
    rider1150gsadv likes this.
  4. hart

hart Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    stock fogs
    moto lights
    Rigids D4
    When they see me coming they move , or stop in their tracks
    Rigids- little guys daytimelights.jpg lights on.jpg
  5. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    I believe someone is always willing to charge you as much as you are willing to pay.

Clearwater has very good products along with good customer service. The evolving LED market has begun to offer some really good options at really good prices. As quality competitive products become more prevalent it becomes harder to justify the price premium that Clearwater charges. They have some very loyal legacy customers but many folks new to the market looking for lighting upgrades will most likely spend their money elsewhere. Clearwater will continue to offer lighting solutions for those folks in which cost is not a significant factor in their decision making process.

I have Clearwater lights on one of my bikes but if I were to buy lights today I would go a different route due to price alone.
    Butters and rider1150gsadv like this.
  6. rider1150gsadv

rider1150gsadv Long timer

Oddometer:
    Valid points.
  7. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    I think that's what people claim to see when taken by UFO's. :lol2
  8. basstodave

basstodave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Researching driving lights for my R12RLC. Is PIAA a quality product? They have some small lights that will work OK I think, but have read reviews that say their quality has gone downhill. Any opinions or firsthand knowledge? Also had Rigid recommended. I am not (yet) interested in $50 lights from China.
  9. RTinNC

RTinNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Have heard good things about Rigid. For me I am running Clearwater Darla's on my RT and Denail D2's on my GSW. The Denali's are a less expensive option and seem to be but like a tank. There are certainly less expensive options but these have both been trouble free and rock solid performers.
  10. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    joe a, basstodave and Shaggie like this.
  11. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There are a couple of guys in my club that run PIAA LEDs. They have the cube-shaped ones. Seem to be nice. The light pattern is DOT approved so they throw more light on the road and not so blinding. The tradeoff is that they don't seem to throw light a great distance for their lumen rating.

I use Rigid Ignite spots on my scooter. On the last picture above, they're the small ones on the bottom. Very good quality lights, easily as good as Denalis. These have built-in 2 brightness levels. Turn them on and they give about 1000 lumens. A quick off-on again will lower it to 200 lumens. Bought my set from Amazon for $150 including harness, fuse, switch and mounts. No need for relay. Just rode through very dark pine forest roads and they can throw light about 250-300 yards. Bright but not at the expense of losing night vision like the hyper-powered ones. Wired directly to battery so no additional CANBUS gadgets to buy for my BMW.
    Gezerbike likes this.
  12. basstodave

Oddometer:
    I'd buy the Rigid Ignite for $150. They seem to cost $230 ish everywhere.
  13. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Recently spotted the Ignites on Amazon for $192. Holiday premium?

Still a great buy compared to equivalent Denali since it includes everything and doesn't need Cansmart or Skene controller or a power distribution module.
    basstodave likes this.
  14. basstodave

Oddometer:

Thanks Shaolin. Did you buy the Rigid Ignite with the flood pattern, spot or diffuse?
  15. Shaolin

Shaolin Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Spots. There is a Youtube video that shows the differences in patterns. Diffuse doesn't seem usable on the road.
  16. basstodave

Oddometer:

Hmmmmm...So, reading some more leads me to think beam pattern is as important as quality. The more expensive lights use a hybrid pattern, which is both flood and spot, I think.

Is anyone using a spot on the left and flood on the right?
    Anyone using two sets of Rigid, spot and flood? Or is that just crazy?
    Anyone using the Rigid or any brand 1000-ish lumen flood and how does it improve lighting the road with a (shiite R12RLC single headlight) or any non LED headlight in low beam. Cripes sake my $5k 2007 Suzuki 650 VStrom had better headlights.
    I suppose somewhere in a forum there is a discussion about light patterns? The more I read the more I need to know. Or something like that.
    I don't need to convince myself that a cost wise middle range light is a good deal if it won't deliver a decently wide and bright light pattern for seeing the side of the road on a two lane at night, with some value in helping to brighten the dismal forward pattern I have. But that is probably not going to happen with a <$250 light?
  17. regnaDkciN

regnaDkciN bearing 60k, clutch 69,HyperPros 70, ABS 128k Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have Rigids on the 2012 I just bought. I’ve aimed them, Marty Feldman style, walleyed, right light just a tad higher than low beam, the left low beam. Still fine tuning. When stopped behind car, they shine outside of their side mirrors.
  18. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:
    You just opened a can of worms. For me, my goal was to compliment my hi/low beams first and foremost. Starting there, I installed Cyclops LED bulbs, both low and high. Though the lenses were not designed for LED's, they were a noticeable improvement. Low beam spread out to the side of the road better than stock and the high beam brightened that and extended further down the road without pissing oncoming traffic off. So now the goal was to get more lighting down the road. I chose Trail Tech 14w Osram spots. They have a dedicated reflector that shoots a 10 degree pencil beam down the road and I mean down the road. Those 10 degree beams can be a bit aggravating when on real hilly roads at night. But everything is a compromise. For long range lighting, I like lights with a single bright LED in a dedicated lense vs those lights have multiple lights in a housing with little to real reflectors. Cyclops and Denali both offer these lights at reasonable prices. A 10 degree on the left and a 20 degree on the right is probably a great way to go if you can get them. I know Cyclops use to offer this package. You're gonna get a lot of ideas on this one for sure....this is what has worked for me for the last six years, problem free, which to me is almost as important.
    basstodave and regnaDkciN like this.
  19. basstodave

Oddometer:
    Spots or Flood pattern?
  20. basstodave

Oddometer:
    From what I read I can't just replace the bulb in the R12RLC because of limited space in the housing and possibly the Canbus electrical system BMW uses may throw a fit.