Best LED Aux Driving Lights (at a reasonable price)?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 15, 2012.

1. regnaDkciN

regnaDkciN bearing 60k, clutch 69,HyperPros 70, ABS 128k Supporter

Oddometer:
    Spots. They came with the bike. Still experimenting. Their narrow beams make aiming a bit trickier, but can keep them out of oncoming traffic without flooding everybody. The stock aux lights flood enough (with new LEDs).
  2. Gezerbike

Gezerbike I'm Baaaaaaaaaaaaaa......ck

Oddometer:

:lol3. Sounds like 1/2 your problems are solved. I am a subscriber to the KISS principle. I push a button, they come on, I push a button and they go off. I don't think you need to spend 5% of the cost of the bike to get adequate lighting.
    Shaolin likes this.
  3. Gezerbike

Oddometer:
    I guess I should add that my bike is a 2012 GS, but it has Canbus that my Cyclops don't interfere with. Can't say what your results might or would be. I do have a Centec fuse panel I run all my non stock electrical junk thru, but my headlights were a direct plug and play. Might be that since the LED's draw less power than stock bulbs, the Canbus has no issues.
    basstodave likes this.
  4. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    Light pattern and aiming: I have had several sets of aux lights on motorcycles and cars. What I like is the spot?pencil beam style. The left lamp gets aimed like a high beam to provide maximum vision down the road. The right lamp gets angled to the right very slightly. This provides me with side-of-the-road lighting.
    basstodave likes this.
  5. PeterTrocewicz

PeterTrocewicz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I run Denalis, with the interchangeable lenses. Flood on the right for a better view of the ditch and spot on the left for a better view up the road. Wildlife is abundant here, the roads dark, and the Bonneville headlight high beam is pathetic. I find the flood/spot combination effective, and they throw good light. I can also swap the lenses out for amber in minutes when the fog gets really bad, which it can.
    Gezerbike and basstodave like this.
  6. Maugrim

Maugrim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just recieved my Goldrunway GR-X4 40W and the build quality seems to be top notch (costing €124 a pair it should). With 50-60% of their volume being cooling fins they should perform long term aswell. Hopefully I have time to try them soon
    20200102_175101.jpg 20200102_175218.jpg 20200102_175227.jpg
    Shaggie, flinders_72 and Xyphon112 like this.
  7. Xyphon112

Xyphon112 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ANy photos of the connectors on the gold runway lights?
  8. basstodave

basstodave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Google the lights and there are pictures of the wiring harness, switch, and mounting hardware. Pretty complete package. The downside is short warranty (1 year) and the process for warranty claims? Might be worth a shot though. A dimmable switch, nice. But if the switch fails sometime how do you get a replacement? Can you solder in a replacement on off toggle?
    Maugrin, does the switch also seem to be high quality? Quick, go ride a couple thousand rainy, cold and then hot and humid miles for a test review. lol
    Maugrim likes this.
  9. Gezerbike

Oddometer:
    My thoughts on warranty are if I have to be concerned about it, I'm probably looking at the wrong product, or the wrong vendor. When I purchased my Trail Tech LED's in 2013 at the MOA rally, the owner was kind enough to tell me the reason for the blowout price was their price for the Osram LED emitter was gong up dramatically due to Audi chosing the same emitter for their cars and they would not be competitive. I asked if I could purchase replacement glass as well as seals and wiring harness. When I got home from the nationals, there was a box with 2 sets of glass, 4 seals and a spare wiring harness waiting for me, at no charge. Six years and 50,000 miles later, that box stills sits on the shelf.

[​IMG]

EDIT: Searching around, there are still some of these floating around. Compared to what is available these days, these are a steel.

https://www.amazon.com/Trail-Tech-B112-SS-Equinox-Black/dp/B008P44CS4
    Doug Just Doug likes this.
  10. Maugrim

Maugrim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I only bought the lights. I'm going to use a €1 switch that I bought a couple of and a home made wiring that includes a relay. If the switch is in on position it will work in parallel with the high beam of the bike
  11. robsmoto

robsmoto Motorcycleton

Oddometer:
    I have found that the life of LED aux lights on motorcycles can be enhanced by placing a dollop of silicone caulk at the location where the wire exits the light. Oftentimes, in a heavy rainstorm, some water finds its way into the light unit and electronics get fried. My issues with water ingress haven't returned once I started sealing the wire exit location. I like the clear GE silicone caulk. It is pretty inexpensive and readily available -

https://www.homedepot.com/p/GE-GE-S...-2-8oz-Squeeze-Tube-Clear-GE284-3TG/100004845

https://www.gesealants.com/

clear-ge-caulk-ge284-3tg-64_1000.jpg
    bar-low, ontrip and Gezerbike like this.
  12. dietDrThunder

dietDrThunder Why so serious, son? Supporter

Oddometer:
    You can get hugely more entry-level than that. Go back and read through the thread. Clearwater lights being $1,000 doesn't mean that $225 lights are cheapos. By way of an example the lights I'm currently running were under $100 for the set, and if there is an airplane with brighter landing lights, I'd like to see it (posted previously in this thread). They illuminate objects so far down range that my 20-12 vision can't make out what it is they're illuminating, and I get useful side/shoulder lighting for maybe 200' on each side.
    joe a likes this.
  13. Gezerbike

Oddometer:
    I'll go back to the title of the thread, where the word " reasonable " is used, and say that reasonable is subjective. So, for me at least, $ 225.00 for a QUALITY set of lights from a RESPECTED vendor here is reasonable. I am more than aware you can purchase all sorts of LED lights off Flea Bay, for a lot less, and if that is reasonable for you, then go for it.
  14. Baroquenride

Baroquenride Everyone dies, but not everyone truly lives.

Oddometer:
    ...And with all due respect, your reasonable isn't what this thread is about.

Several years ago, I decided to go with BD lights and that worked for my needs after trying a bunch of $20 lights. I posted them up and even a huge discount/cash back that I was able to take advantage of, but with the caveat that my willingness to spend that much was outside the norm and didn't fit what this thread is about. As dietDrThunder stated, he got a tremendous light output for a reasonable amount of money, but the problem for me and I suspect others is that they're almost as big as aircraft landing lights and wouldn't work on my Ducati or VFR, and especially my dual-sport.
    joe a likes this.
  15. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid! Supporter

Oddometer:
    OP Here. I think "reasonable" is an individual decision. For some, under $50 is reasonable, for others under $300. Depends on income, preference and what you are looking for.

I ended up with a set of used 4 year old Clearwater Kristas I paid $200 for 7 years ago. They have been flawless, put out great light and are 11 years old. The $200 was well worth it. That said, my wife's Can Am has a pair of Amazon spots that were $10 each, and have worked great for two years, though mostly for conspicuity, and not many miles, almost none at night.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  16. Gezerbike

Oddometer:
    Well, what this thread started out as and what it has morphed to might be 2 different things I guess. And for what it is worth, the OP of this thread now rides with big bucks Clearwaters, so I guess he felt that those were reasonable....for him. Almost 20 years ago, I purchased some Moto Lights that cost about $ 350. As mentioned by the OP in the first post, he had a set and they were lights but not much more than that. So the Cyclops I mentioned above are more than reasonable in my book.
  17. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    $200 is big bucks?
  18. Gezerbike

Oddometer:
    I don't think I ever read what you paid for them, and I was a typin' as you were posting. Besides, getting them for $ 200 7 years ago, you didn't buy them, you stole them. You should be ashamed of yourself :-)
  19. scootac

scootac Just a Traveler

Oddometer:
    For some people, it could be.
    All depends on your place in life.
    HighTechCoonass and worwig like this.
  20. JimVonBaden

Oddometer:
    Of course it could be, and you are right, but I ride a BMW, so $200 better not be "big bucks" or I am in trouble! :-)
    HighTechCoonass likes this.