1. eNewsletter Sign Up

Best LED Aux Driving Lights (at a reasonable price)?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by JimVonBaden, Dec 15, 2012.

1. The Virginian

The Virginian Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I just ordered these in Amazon here. It shows that they will be back in stock on 02/04 and are taking orders now. Exactly what I was looking for and at $52 delivered, it's not too bad. I'm placing them on my CRF250L Rally and I'll post pics when I get them installed.
    DocPFFP and Butters like this.
  2. PhotoAl

PhotoAl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Currently running ADVMonster model 19s. Driving them with a HEX ezCAN on my BMW F800GT. Lights were $50 with wiring harness HEX ezCAN is $200. The HEX ezCAN uses the CanBus to get info on the bike and has four programable outputs. Two are used for the lights. They are configured so that they go off when the turn signal on the corresponding side is turned on. The HEX ezCAN modulates the lights and can have 4 different brightness modes - Day - low beam, Day high beam, Night - low beam and Night - high beam. Put the lights on in mid August just before a 16 day 5,300 mile trip. Saw temperatures from 97F down to 48F. Tree full full days in the rain with some rain on other days. Since then have only put about 1,300 miles on the bike but they continue to work flawlessly. One of the primary reasons for adding them was for increased visibility and secondarily night riding. LOL I haven't taken time to carefully aim them and they are a bit low but are very bright when in front of the bike.

Photo is Minot ND as I'm about to set out 52F and rain! Good thing I had my summer gear :-) and grip heaters.

Attached Files:

DocPFFP and ontrip like this.
  3. ontrip

ontrip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^^ the ADV monster lights look like a great deal but how do you mount them to your bike.
    DocPFFP likes this.
  4. PhotoAl

PhotoAl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I literally spent a couple of months thinking about ways to mount them. The F800GT does not have a good simple place for them. Finally hit on a good idea I think. Took the forward fairing bolt and replaced with with a plastic standoff (Home Depot) and a longer bolt. At that point there are three pieces that come together and it is pretty solid. I added an L shaped inner brace that bolts to the flat (somewhat) bottom of the intake. Intake is under the headlights and the bottom of it is relatively flat. The brace prevents the mounting bolt from moving inward. Fairing pieces are rigid in the other two dimensions. Bike is currently in the shop for service or I would send a better photo. Here is the best I have but doesn't show the inner brace. The wire from the light goes to a connector after about 6" to 8" so is not too difficult to remove the lights.

Attached Files:

5. ontrip

ontrip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the photo and response with details,

I have an R1200R and purchased Machine Moto Art light bars, that have a horizontal receiver for the bolt so ideally need a saddle bracket to fit them or they would be mounted at 90 degrees like yours.

Will also be using the Hex Ez Can to power and control them.

Nice bike, I had a 2011 F800r (naked brother of the GT) prior and really enjoyed it.

https://machineartmoto.com/r1200r/2015-r-rs-liquid-cooled/light-bar/
    DocPFFP likes this.
  6. PhotoAl

PhotoAl Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm not excited about mounting them at 90 degrees but liked the minimalistic mounting. The HEX exCAN is great. I also added two LED strips, one on either side of my tag and controlled them with ezCAN. Opted for the "California Legal" flat - 4 flashes then solid on. They are normal brightness when not braking and full brightness when stopping. Amazing what $15 (US) LED strips do for the rear of the bike.

hEX ezCAN is a fantastic product that currently only works on BMWs and HD.
    DocPFFP and ontrip like this.
  7. Trailrider200

Trailrider200 Long timer

Oddometer:
    DocPFFP likes this.
  8. Maugrim

Maugrim Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I finally have had time to mount my Goldrunway GR-X4 40W and so far I'm happy with them. Let's see how the will take the constant beating on the enduro track for which I once again have found some love.

They were advertised as being 40 W lights but that was a lie, they consumed 41 W each but I'm okay with that .

I took some pictures earlier tonight using the OEM high beam and one with the Goldrunway's (and of course I used the same shutter speed and aperture) 20200201_185626.jpg 20200201_185642.jpg 20200126_131409.jpg 20200126_131419.jpg
    genka, Buildzall, 16VGTIDave and 5 others like this.
  9. DocPFFP

DocPFFP Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm planning to use the Hex Ezcan as well, alongside the MaMo mounts on my 16 R1200r. It's really the saddle mounting ideas in looking for and the forward light since the stock headlight genuinely sucks on this bike.

A dude in the R1200r forum just ran a 6mm bolt through the tunnel on the bars and right into the light, discarding the mounting that came with it. Not sure I'm keen on that method.
    ontrip likes this.
  10. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    If anyone wants to snag a pair of VisionX Optimus lights, this seller has a couple of sets for a good price ($120). I was skeptical of the low price, and a little nervous based on some of the negative feedback. The lights just arrived this evening, and everything looks good. These are great lights for the money.
  11. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:

@draco_1967

seller states ‘fog’ but the pic is not fog correct? (I don’t want fog!)

they can have clip on covers that convert to a ‘Euro’ driving beam don’t they?

S
  12. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    No, they are the spots, but the kit includes brackets to mount them on a Jeep in the factory fog light location.
    VisionX has a few different filters you can clip on these to make them fogs.
    Shaggie likes this.
  13. Shaggie

Shaggie Unseen University Supporter

Oddometer:

Thanks mate

:thumb

S
  14. basstodave

basstodave Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Is it a better, easier to use, cleaner setup to install a fuse block if adding a single set of aux lights, heated clothing and brake leds(probably wouldn't need a positive battery lead). Do some brands offer an option to use a trickle charger through them? 18' Canbus r1200r. No experience with bike electronics.
  15. draco_1967

draco_1967 Spoon!

Oddometer:
    If adding more than one accesory, some type of fuse panel is better. Otherwise you have too many individual wires connected to your battery terminals, which is a pain to deal with. As far as the canbus stuff, I'll leave that to someone who has experience there ...
  16. ontrip

ontrip Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Would suggest using the Hex Ez Can or any other of the canbus control devices. This will allow you to control acceswories with existing switches

17. Gruesome

Gruesome Alter Heizer

Oddometer:
    Absolutely, canbus for accessworries ;-)

Smart grouping in fuses, so something nice to have can't take out something important, could replace running separate wires for everything. You could also run a fused bus/feeder, and then add inline fuses at the branch point.
  18. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    Question for the hive mind: can I turn flood lights into “fog” lights?

I have an old pair of Rigid Industries (D2?) pod lights. They are a $20 swap meet find, so I don’t know much about them. They appear to be about a 60 degree flood beam. I’d like to use them on the bike, mounted low and wide on crash guard, but they are so bright on the road up close that they are dazzling me.

Anyone know of a lens, cover, something, I could use that would produce a wide but flat beam from these lights?

Thanks,
    Dave
  19. flinders_72

flinders_72 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Looking at pictures of them on the net it appears the reflectors are what makes the D2 a spot or flood rather than the lens, which means a different lens probably won't help, but if it did you could easily make a couple from polycarbonate sheet. Do Rigid sell individual parts?
    16VGTIDave likes this.
  20. 16VGTIDave

16VGTIDave Reaver made me do it...

Oddometer:
    I haven’t contacted Rigid yet. I’ve seen LED fog lights that have lenses with vertical lines/ridges that appear to produce a flat and wide beam pattern. If I could source some of that material, I’d fabricate new lenses. Haven’t had any luck finding the material as I don’t know what it is called. My search fuu is weak...
    flinders_72 likes this.